Consequences of falsifying medical records for pain meds

arthunter888

Bluelighter
I have a brother who is slowly turning into a junkie. He's planning on shopping for pain meds in Florida (just one clinic tho). He told me how he went a couple months ago. He got an MRI at the place referred by the clinic, expecting to get meds regardless of the analysis (as if the MRI was just procedure, and based on stories I've read, with some crooked places it is -- just to cover the pain clinic's ass).

Anyway, the clinic had recently turned very strict, and he ended up getting turned down by the clinic, because his MRI showed no serious injuries. It probably didn't help that he was 21 and urine showed THC.

He is now planning on trying again at a different clinic. This time, he's gonna first scan the copy of his MRI report, and edit: change the name/address of the MRI center, and change the analysis to look like he has a painful injury. Then just personally handing the report to the pain doc instead of having it faxed.

I was just wondering how risky this scheme is legally. I wouldn't mind him learning a lesson, but also don't want him suffering with a mandatory sentence or something harsh. He told me he's probably going to change the MRI center to a made-up one in a different state, with a non-working phone number, and if asked, tell the doctor it closed or relocated or something. He thinks this way it will be impossible to prove that the MRI report is fake if no center can be reached to verify it. [Legal ramifications?]

What are the possible outcomes of this scheme? Also, If I can't convince him not to go, at the least what should I tell him to certainly avoid [in relevance to consequences, not in assisting of breaking the law]?

Mod edit: This thread is borderline as it is, IMO anyway. Some things in this post were removed to keep it within forum guidelines... Please keep it to legal discussion and not "breaking the law" discussion or it will be closed...

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry OP, I had to remove some stuff you worded and replace it with legal discussion elements...it was just too borderline and seemed more of a "how to avoid getting caught" thread than an LD thread.

Sorry, I don't wish for anyone to make suggestions on how to "improve" this method. It's quite clear that he already has his own ideas on how to break the law, and will most likely go through with it unless I can convince him with solid logic/facts.

All I'm asking for is what the chances are of the scheme being caught, and what could/would likely result.

Sorry, I don't wish for anyone to make suggestions on how to "improve" this method. It's quite clear that he already has his own ideas on how to break the law, and will most likely go through with it unless I can convince him with solid logic/facts.

All I'm asking for is what the chances are of the scheme being caught, and what could/would likely result.

Fair enough. I assumed you had the best intentions anyway, or this thread would have been gone <3

Carry on

No what he's done is quite illegal and I live in Florida and have been to several different doctors over the past 7 years. First off, there may be some clinics who have flown under the radar but not anymore, this is a thing of the past since the new legislation enacted.
I had gone to a "pill mill clinic" in 2006 and brought my MRI along with me. Even though this place was sceevy, they needed to call the hospital where I had my images done to verify that it was legitimate before the doctor would see me. This was long ago and they are not playing anymore! It's serious shit and I would not recommend anybody to try and pull this crap. They may not prosecute a potential patient but will tell you to get the fuck out in a cordial way.
Yes the times are a changing so don't look to Florida anymore for a quick score. Effective October, they will have a statewide data base like any other normal state to ensure people are not doctor shopping. The party's over kids

It's always a red flag when a patient is paying for multiple consults and MRs in cash. Also, the doctor will want to see the actual images and not just the report from the reviewing radiologist and you can't really manipulate those. All this in combo with a normal physical exam...a good doctor wouldn't fall for this.

Actually, he only plans on being treated by one doctor, to my knowledge. The legislation you speak of would prevent people from being treated by multiple doctors, but this doesn't apply to this scenario. Does the legislation do anything about illegitimate patients? AFAIK I still don't believe it would solve the problem of edited MRI reports. And this is the real problem, and is why the Florida PC scene has been so dirty.

And you must remember he is not in legitimate need of meds. Therefore, he won't be looking for a "good doc", he'll be seeking waiting rooms filled with shady looking healthy young people. Starting with the ones with ads in the New Times. And it's ironic, this plan wouldn't exist if he hadn't been seduced by Vanguard's "Oxycontin Express" documentary.

I suspect it could be prosecuted as attempting to obtain a controlled substance by fraud; same charge you pick up trying to pass fake prescriptions to a pharmacy.

[can't say this part because it violates forum guidelines, sorry. -Johnny1]

If he is stupid enough to do it, inform him that if the number he gives is invalid they'll just put the center name into a internet search. That sucked.

Yea this is a very dumb idea. [can't say this part because it violates forum guidelines, sorry. -Johnny1]

Florida actually has a statute specifically covering this. S893.13(7)(A)9 states that it is unlawful "To acquire or obtain, or attempt to acquire or obtain, possession of a controlled substance by misrepresentation, fraud, forgery, deception, or subterfuge."

With the recent rise of prescription fraud related cases I've seen, I would say the likelihood of being caught is pretty high.

Just sort of related to fraud, I was curious about this...

I have a new doctor and he doesn't currently have my medical records and I think was just trusting me. He said I could bring my bottles to the pharmacy and have them call him to fill them, isn't that kind of risky? Like couldn't someone just put a new label on and he'd acknowledge whatever cause he doesn't really know what my prescriptions are, all he knows is they are ADD meds.