View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

MDA in the 70s and 80s

DrunkardsDream

Ex-Bluelighter
Anyone here take MDA in the 70s or 80s when it was legal? If so what was it like?

A friend of mine took MDA in the late 60s and early 70s and told me it was a great sex drug and very trippy too but how you don't hallucinate like you do on shrooms or acid.

Is it true that MDA is more trippy than MDMA is? Is it a good sex drug?

yes and yes in my opinion. but I'm not from the 70's and 80's, just stating my opinion now

MDA was federally controlled (Schedule 1) in 1970 at the same time as mescaline. However it was very common in many circles in the 70s and 80s....just like today. It was both a club drug in the gay discos and a street drug used IV in some areas. On the streets many people believed it was a mixture of a methamphetamine, lsd, and heroin. That's how ignorant most people were about these things then....

MDMA wasn't used until the mid 70s and didn't escape Shulgin's scene until around 1980. It WAS then legal as there was no federal analogue drug act. I first heard of it at a popular NYC club in 1982 - around the same time it was huge in Texas (you could buy it over the counter - legally - at bars with a credit card). It was placed in schedule 1 on an emergency basis in 1985.

Most people describe MDA as a bit tripper, a bit less empathogenic, and longer lasting than MDMA. The same pluses and minuses re sex apply.....

MDMA wasn't used until the mid 70s and didn't escape Shulgin's scene until around 1980. It WAS then legal as there was no federal analogue drug act. I first heard of it at a popular NYC club in 1982 - around the same time it was huge in Texas (you could buy it over the counter - legally - at bars with a credit card). It was placed in schedule 1 on an emergency basis in 1985.

Sockpuppet, we have the same memories. I was living in Texas in 1982 and for a few years MDMA was available in certain bars, or from some people that I knew that went to San Marcos University. Every month I would by 8 tablets, which were standard at 120 mgs of MDMA from a friend at SMU. Each tablet costing $10-$15. Then in 1985, while still around, had to be bought just from friends at college. There was a small period where MDE took it's place as Eve. In all honesty, since MDMA has went illegal, I may have come across it 3 times. All times being genuine but much smaller doses for more money. I know I started a post in the MDMA board about the legal days. It always seemed powerful back then. I am sure though from what I read here that some of the current form as 'molly" are genuine and potent. But it also seems so many other things can be contained in the tablets or powder currently.

MDA was around too in the 70's and 80's but I wasn't as taken as acid was plentiful and easier on the body. My last time for MDA was a Dead show in 1981. But MDA was more psychedelic than MDMA amd longer lasting.

I never did think I would see the day that all the RC's in PIHKAL would be available. It seemed like a wish dream, but from what I read here and my limited testing of about a handful pre 2005, it seems they are available and genuine for the most part.

Anyone here take MDA in the 70s or 80s when it was legal? If so what was it like?

A friend of mine took MDA in the late 60s and early 70s and told me it was a great sex drug and very trippy too but how you don't hallucinate like you do on shrooms or acid.

Is it true that MDA is more trippy than MDMA is? Is it a good sex drug?

You can get very strong hallucinations on mda but they are alot differnt than what you would get on shrooms or lsd but it does allow you to dig into your mind in a similar way. It is way more psychedelic than mdma which is why I like it better.

A gratefull dead concert on mda would be fucking amazing; too bad I was born in 88.

I know some aging hippies (65 and 75) who took it in a therapy setting in California, I'm guessing sometime in the early 1990s. They say it saved their marriage, and that they worked out long-standing problems in 10 minutes' time. They described it as "opening your third eye" and much more enlightening than MDMA. It was popular with San Francisco hippies in the '60s and was big with gay men in the '70s and '80s from what I've gathered.

I've read that MDA is more neurotoxic than MDMA from several sources, which is somewhat concerning. It's also longer lasting and more psychedelic, lasting about 8-10 hours instead of 4-6 like ecstasy. I'd definitely give it a try if it came around, as it sounds beautiful.

"Sass" or "Sassafras" is the slang around here when it comes to molly that is >MDA than MDMA... I know that i have never had 100% pure MDA (Sass is usually a micture of MDA/MDMA with MDA being the main component), but I have had what I believe was only MDA (around 90% i would say)...and it is very noticeably different than 'molly'/MDMA.

Instead of the MDMA comedown (varies for many, some say they crash some feel normal the next day), it provides you with an afterglow for the whole next day after doing it, you feel like you are like 25% rolling still, no crash whatsoever.

It usually has a darker color than white, sometimes an almost tan color -- and it usually smells like black licorice. I like it much better than MDMA and would take it over MDMA anytime anywhere. In MY experience, the dosage is about the same (although I have read that it is slightly more potent in its pure form) as molly.

It's still around if you know the right people.

I find MDA a powerful and relentlessly long empatheogen at 120mg. The visuals become LSD-like at about 5 hr in. Lasted a good 10hr then the comedown.

This is from a known source/pure powder. But I am positive I have also had MDA in pills before too. It is around. The pills I mixed with 10mg 2C-T-7 about 6hr in and went on and on and it was great.

Mda is definitely on the top of my want to do list, dont know why it is not around much since it's an easier chemical to synthesize than mdma..

I've read that MDA is more neurotoxic than MDMA from several sources, which is somewhat concerning. It's also longer lasting and more psychedelic, lasting about 8-10 hours instead of 4-6 like ecstasy. I'd definitely give it a try if it came around, as it sounds beautiful.

Mda is more nuero toxic than mdma but as long as you take the same precautions as with mdma and don't useing it repetatively and stuff; you should be fine.

Mda is definitely on the top of my want to do list, dont know why it is not around much since it's an easier chemical to synthesize than mdma..

MDMA is more popular.

Also, 'easier' is debatable. MDA is easier via piperonal or piperine, but MDMA is easier via safrole.

My mum told me she took it in the 80's' and said it was purely amazing and often made her buzzed for 24 hours.

She tried it again recently (lol i know shes like 50) and said it simply was not as good

I have had MDA circa 2000 and the best thing about the experience for me was that the visuals were almost deleriant in nature , I mean this in a good way... for instance, I would be sitting outside smoking a cigarette and then I would see someone sitting on a car smoking a cigarette, they would look so real, then all the sudden I would realize that they were wearing some fucking crazy ass costume or something and I would catch myself like "god damn, that dude with the crazy wolf costume must be fucking cool, why the hell is he all dressed up on such a random night, is it a holiday today? no, hmm... wtf.... where did he go"

lol

I mean I would see things that just blatantly were not there, not like normal psyches that distort reality, MDA seems to allow you to react with a reality that has complete figments of your imagination in it.

I mean I would see things that just blatantly were not there, not like normal psyches that distort reality, MDA seems to allow you to react with a reality that has complete figments of your imagination in it.

I never had this with MDA, which has long been my drug of choice (I'm lucky enough to know an organic chemist since we were little kids). To me and I think to most users, the hallucinations are more hard to explain. They're not subtle, they're definitely there, but more it's an expansion of your vision almost to a new sense- that you fully know and understand the 'real' nature of whatever you're looking at. A tree might appear great and vibrant green with ancient life, the light off of the leaves a golden fire on a sunny day, but all the details that are tree are clear, nothing distorted.

MDA in the 70s would be just like MDA now, only with better music. Who wouldn't want to see Led Zep' on MDA?

I took it in the summer of '82, NYC. My best friends boyfriend made it in a lab in Boston. The first time was definitely the greatest high of my life. It was a cross between Quaaludes (aka Mandrax?) and speed.
My brain was crystal clear. 6 of us chatting in a bar. Completely relaxed but awake. the best part was everything was beautiful. I remember touching this girls sweater, sighing. she asked someone ' she on ecstasy?' 'yup' was the response.She let me stroke her arm for hours. anyone who came to our table let my me and my ecstasy friends touch them. Table tops, counters, glasses, match books, shoes, anything it was like i could hear and see and breathe whatever I was touching. The music was beautiful. everyone and everything was beautiful. I wasn't hungry or antsy. kissing was mind blowing. ex was incredible but that was as i was coming down after about 10 hours. I did it a few more times and it was great but not like the first time, what a surprise.Took Ecstasy about 18 years ago. It was awful. I couldn't sit down my head went up my ass for 3 days days. I smoked enough hash to kill an elephant to try and rid myself of the edgy effect. Not at al what I had taken before. That was the last hard type drug I ever took. Ruined it for me.