• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

is methadone and xanax a dangerous combo?

Methadone and xanax has been responsible for a ton of deaths.

Unfortunately I'm on 230mg of Methadone daily and 0.25mg of Xanax 3x a day.

I never ever abuse my Xanax out of fear that I'll OD.

I would say to at least let your GP know that you are taking both methadone and xanax before combining them.

That is fine if you have a tolerance to both.

But if you are on methadone treatment, and you foolishly get high on your methadone then pop too high of a dose of xanax, you will fall asleep and stop breathing...

This is the main problem of methadone treatment. People who have never used opiates go to methadone treatment just to get high, I have seen it countless times. My friends are dumb asses.

This can be dangerous yes, but it's pretty much dose dependent. Mixing benzos with other cns depressant drugs is something that requires knowledge of the stuff that you're taking and of what your own body can handle. I'm assuming you've taken both of these before here, so I'd say just use common sense. Ask yourself how much alprazolam you can handle before blacking out, then do the same for methadone (maybe not the blacking out part, but you get my point). The common sense thing here is doing some simple math in your head, and finding a reasonable dose for combining the two based upon how they effect you personally. And as always start small and work your way up.

The doses you're working with here are low, nothing to really worry about. To accurately answer you're question here, there's no danger in simply combining these two things. There is danger though, in doing too much

During my time on MMT, I've switched between 3 benzos: Alprazolam, Clonazepam and Flurazepam. Out of those 3 Alprazolam is the only one that when I combined it with my methadone, it sedated me considerably even though I've been on benzos (mainly Xanax) since November 2005 (I started MMT in Jan of this year). Other people whom I met at the clinic have also told me that there's something different about combining methadone with alprazolam compared to combining methadone with another benzo. For some reason methadone combined with xanax/alprazolam (according to them) sedated them profoundly. Now that I've tried the combo for several months straight, I see first hand what they mean. Please be careful if you combine methadone and xanax. Even with tolerance to both, I still get somewhat sedated. I'm thinking of switching back to Clonazepam to be safe as I never felt as sedated when taking an equivalent dose of that.

they can have a significant combined depressant effect, do not combine if you are not experienced with opiates and/or downers. even if you are, your swimming in deep, shark infested waters my friend. a mix of oxycodone, temazepam, and clonazepam almost claimed my life once.

Thanks for everyones response. I use a street doctor to fill my scripts.... If you know what I mean. I have fair tolerance for opiates and xanax, and I as well have heard od stories combining these 2. I may try it, but my dose of xanax will be .25 - .5, and methadone about 5mg. Again, thanks for everyones help! And I will be careful

Yea, alot of good people have died on that combo. Including my best friend.. (add a few other drugs to the cocktail) but it was the xanax and methadone that really did it.

with this low of dose id say its not to risky.
doing this combo everyday isnt safe though, give yourself a few days between your benzo's if u try more than 2mg at a time.

i been takin 12mg xanax and methadone daily for weeks now , the methadone barely holds me ( i stil crave ) but no wd's , im stil needing to up the dose, iv upped from 65 to 75 mg today and stil no difference , but i havent had any xanax yet today , mite get off this shithole n have my brickys now n watch a movie on my new 50" lcd woooo , its amazing how much cash accumulates when u quit illicit drugs and ciggerettes , new car in a month booyahhh 6.0 litre 6 speed here i come

bak to topic , i think im naturally opiate tolerant , my doc thinks so too , and goin from personal exp...
the benzo tolerance iv just built up over 5 years , can pop 12mg xanax and be dead straight , just pushes the anxiety paranoia and worries to the back of my head , wich is all i need to get me by , i dont need nor reallly want to get high off em , just ..........feel normal i guess

if i DID want to get fucked up n have fun id go for sum nice clean lsd , but i dont really want to do drugs i dont need to anymore ,

who wants to be a burnt out old fart just coz u wanted to get "fucked up" in ur younger years , or look cool , or whateva

i plan on havn a wife n kids someday im 25 now there comes a time wen enuffs enuff n for me thats well overdue ,

by roughly first quarter or halfway thru next year i plan to and should be 100% off everything , besides the occasional drink , or beer with dinner

This is the main problem of methadone treatment. People who have never used opiates go to methadone treatment just to get high, I have seen it countless times. My friends are dumb asses.
LOL, I thought I was the only one who had thought of that. Lucky we don't have a methadone program anywhere close.

its how I got my DUI and drug possession charge.

I had taken 90mg of methadone and 6mg of alprazolam. and this was back before I shouldn't have even really been taking that much methadone alone. but I got pulled over arrested, charged with DUI and possesion of xanax because I had 24 bars in my middle console. I was released that night and then a month later pulled over in a friends car for him speeding and I was arrested on a warrant and spent a month in jail and then 2.5 years on probation of which I had to go to groups, NA, and rehab.

To simply answer your question, yes it is a dangerous combination however not so much if you have a tolerance but continuing to increase doses of either of the two can lead to OD's

I got my DUI and possession charge from the combination of the two drugs as well. I was prescribed the two of them also for quite some time (years). The two effect your coordination. Its too bad I happened to have MDMA in my car when I got into my accident. I got off with "only" 30 days but believe me, it felt like forever.

Everyone else has pretty much said what had to be said but I just want to add that you should never get overconfident and start messing with higher doses on your own. Don't try switching them around either. I used to use opiates daily (mostly morphine and codeine) and could handle small doses of benzos. One day, I decided to just use some codeine along with a higher, but not extremely so, dose of benzos (plus I combined xanax and etizolam) and I OD'd and stopped breathing. I thought I'd be safer with less opiates and more benzos but I was wrong.