Bluelight

Thread: Cleaning resin out of clothes : ( Tips???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Cleaning resin out of clothes : ( Tips??? 
    Angry
    Earlier today i sat unscrewing my pipe to remove the bowl; the ugly thing fell onto my lap smearing ungodly marijuana resin onto my shorts:

I've given them several good washes & hand washes, its still there. I mean, i was going to throw them away but i only bought them a month or so ago.

Any suggestions on how to remove this vile shit? Acetone? Ethanol? Fire?

& Yeah, this is a self serving thread. I'm guilty.

2. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    i'm in the area with the steel that never rusted
    Shitty. But shit happens, right?

If it hasn't come out yet, you may need to buy some new shorts. My suggestion would be to try something very caustic, e.g. thinner or a high alcohol solution. Let soak for 12 hours give or take then scrub and run under water.

Another solution are some products like "Simple Green" which are enviro-friendly but quite effective in removing tough stains. The trick is letting it soak.

3. Collapse Details

OP, it's self serving but it has a point that can stir up discussion, like:

How to get resin stains out of clothing?

My advice...try spot treating it, put some detergent on it and let it sit for a while, i would even try soaking them in cold water. This is how I remove blood from stuff, so I don't know if it'll work for the resin.

4. Collapse Details

I would try using very hot water (hotter than you can stand, use gloves) and let it soak for about 10 min before scrubbing hard. If the water is too cold the resin won't liquify and won't come out easily.

5. Collapse Details

Time for some more new shorts, bro

6. Collapse Details

^Yeah i suppose so^ May try acetone tomorrow. Cheers 4 the input folks, terrible thread i know...

7. Collapse Details

i would get some ISO alcohol n rub it off with that

8. Collapse Details

The Lounge
    Quote Originally Posted by kultron View Post
    I would try using very hot water (hotter than you can stand, use gloves) and let it soak for about 10 min before scrubbing hard. If the water is too cold the resin won't liquify and won't come out easily.
    Water is a polar solvent, it won't dissolve resin.

Diethyl ether would do the trick. Failing that, try ethanol or isopropanol-- they may work.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by doppelganga196 View Post
    Cheers 4 the input folks, terrible thread i know...
    Chill bro, it's generating some relaxed weed related discussion, which is what CD is for, your doing us all good here this threads way better than the usual shitty 'OMG IM SO HIGH' and 'DOYOULIKETOSMOKEBUCKETS?!' threads you see popping up round here usually...

Quote Originally Posted by Roger&Me View Post
    Water is a polar solvent, it won't dissolve resin.

Diethyl ether would do the trick. Failing that, try ethanol or isopropanol-- they may work.
    Would it leave any kind of stain after? or take some of the ink out of the clothes making that spot look faded? I ask causse I got a kind of old shirt which is ruined by big fat resin stain from when I cleaned out my bong, ain't had the heart to throw it away yet...

10. Collapse Details

The Lounge
    ^It all depends on the chemical properties of the dye used on the fabric. If its already got a big resin stain on it, it prolly won't make it any worse than it already is.

11. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    i think isopropyl would do the trick on fresh resin. though i think all the washing may have sealed in the stain.

12. Collapse Details

Www.pillreports.com & a beach town on the west coast. Www.pillreports.com & on my toilet pooping. I also can be found chillin with master splinter.
    A scrub brush and 91+% rubbing alcohol.

13. Collapse Details

this is not a "self-serving" post. one of the betters i have seen in CD... ever.

i dont have a good answer though. i have gotten resin on my clothing, but never really worked in deep into the fabric. it usually just comes off after a good amount of wear and washing. it usually happens when i am cleaning my bong, so i also often usually immediately rub with a washcloth and the iso i am using to clean the bong to get the majority of it off.

14. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    i have been down this road many times. depending what cloth it is, its possible.

super super hard though. i have this shirt that has been through the wash probably 30 times and its still got a stain from res

15. Collapse Details

One of these 2 methods (plus a bit of rubbing and some patience) worked for me with removing resin from a white t-shirt:

1. 91 percent isopropyl and table salt...gets my pipes clean :-) .

2. A generous amount of regular/original Dawn brand dish detergent and warm/hot water.

Best of luck! Sorry i can't remember which worked best.

16. Collapse Details

The Lounge
    ^Yeah Dawn works miracles, seriously.

17. Collapse Details

OP what did you try? How well did it work?

18. Collapse Details

The thread was fine OP

19. Collapse Details

^ I was more going for that "yep, you're right, it's self serving but it invokes discussion so it's still cool with me" thing. It's definitely a handy thread to have sitting around, all of us must get resin on stuff all the time.

20. Collapse Details

^i agree. i know maybe 2 ppl who smoke and haven't gotten resin on clothes, towels, upholstery...my fiance once tracked it all over an apartment carpet on the bottom of his foot...

perhaps we could devote a thread to different successful (and unsuccessful) methods of resin/bong water cleanup by material type (cotton, rayon, polyester, nylon etc.).

Just wondering, if i were to someday experiment with this and make a cleaning guide with steps and possibly pics of the steps would anyone here find it useful or helpful?

21. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    A heavy degreaser and a scrub brush usually takes it out. Let it soak. I usually can get most of it out.

22. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by NotQuiteAnonymous View Post
    Just wondering, if i were to someday experiment with this and make a cleaning guide with steps and possibly pics of the steps would anyone here find it useful or helpful?
    Pretty much every stoner could do with that, loads of cool shit i've thrown because of spilt bong water / resin

23. Collapse Details

what material are the shorts, and what color?

try a cold water soak. like ICE cold, even put ice IN the bowl. afterwards, see if you can perhaps "pick" the resin off. this works with things like gum, glue, etc, so perhaps would work for resin. you could even take a razor blade and attempt to scrape it off, as long as you don't mind wearing down the fabric a bit.

24. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Newbierock View Post
    Pretty much every stoner could do with that, loads of cool shit i've thrown because of spilt bong water / resin
    ooo stinky bong water. it usually washes out, but that doesn't help for things that you can't wash!

let it be a lesson (one i know i learned the hard way several times over) to ALWAYS keep bong water fresh. That way, when it does spill, the smell is minimal.

25. Collapse Details

give it to a woman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast