• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

origin of the phrase "tripping balls"?

Excuse me? I'm having trouble locating in my posts statements that are me being emotional and throwing a tantrum.
Try this?

Excuse me? I'm having trouble locating in my posts statements that are me being emotional and throwing a tantrum. Can you be more specific if you are going to make such accusations? I'm especially hard pressed in finding an example of me throwing a tantrum. I would also think it would be hard to throw a tantrum on internet as tantrums normally include some sort of physical out burst. Now, I'm not aware of what type of computer you have. Maybe I'm behind the times since you can some how see what I'm doing even when my webcam is off... :eek:

Now I'm starting to feel silly since I'm bothering to take the time to respond to you.

edit; if me finding something funny constitutes being considered emotional, then yes, I was being emotional, but humor is hardly bad thing.

Okay I'd have to agree that putting a label on such a term as "tripping balls" is quite silly. It's just a phrase. I actually think it sounds quite funny, especially when you're tripping. What intelligent sounding term would you guys recommend using instead of "tripping balls"?

As for "Tripping Face" I think I kind of understand it now. On Monday I took 400 micrograms of LSD and my friend (who was on 200 micrograms) and I were discussing this topic. We were jokingly saying "I'M TRIPPIN FACE DUDE!" lol it was so hilarious. It was also the most intense and enjoyable LSD experience I've had to date.

Then we realized that when we would listen to Phish with headphones for CEV's, there would be faces every now and then, hence the phrase "Tripping Face." Also we looked at this granite table and we kept finding a bunch of faces in it.

Now that's only our interpretation of the phrase "Tripping Face", but it made complete sense to us LOL.

"I'm trippin face dude!" C'mon you know it sounds funny.

My other friend had a funny one too. I told him I was going to see Adam Freeland on 23mg of 2C-E and he told me "You're gonna get your face stolen". Haha, I believe this one would originate from the Grateful Dead song "He's Gone". "Steal your face right off your head"

I'm totally quoting balls right now. =D

=D

Cool. I had never heard it used in Australia before then.

That's totally likely... the different English-speaking countries each have their own unique slang.

What a silly thing to say. Fine if you do not enjoy using the term or indulging in the usage of slang, but to say it degrades language/linguistic's is stupid. I mean, slang and dialects are very important aspects of linguistics. It helps the evolution of language take place, and why shouldn't that happen? Language is hardly static and slang is just an example of words or phrases evolving out from various cultures. Tripping balls to me is a very cultural thing and has a very distinct meaning which imo is unmatched by traditional words. Slang imo is very beautiful and has it's place in language till the end of time.

I completely agree with you. It's not a good thing IMO if someone ONLY knows slang and can't communicate or understand "proper" English, because then the basis for communication between anyone speaking the language all over the world would be destroyed. But through the mechanism of slang and creativity, the language is constantly evolving through time. None of us speaks like they did 100 years ago, or even 50. One of the things I find so beautiful about the English language as a writer and speaker is the ability, through slang, to literally invent new words and structures that everyone with knowledge of the culture you're speaking from will understand. It's a beautiful thing. :)

I don't really use the term, though I have, but I can't see it as something different from any slang I use. A bunch of words we all use used to be slang. So what? It's no reason to get judgmental, nor is using the phrase "tripping balls".

this might be incredibly offtopic, but what would be the origin of rolling balls?

seems to me like they would be somewhat connected...

(and since im not a native speaker, also wondering where rolling comes from, since to me it would seem more appropriate to use with smoking substances)

Actually I think the origin is exactly the same. A common slang phrase ("tripping" and "rolling"), with "balls" added, meant to emphasize just how much/hard you're tripping/rolling.

As for explaining American slang in general, it's tough. And as for explaining the various areas of the UK's slang, or Australia's slang, don't even ask me. =D I don't know how other languages are but English is a big one for slang, and the origins of most of it are lost. A lot of the time someone said it on TV and other people started to copy it. And sometimes a few people say it or even one person in social situations, other people hear it, and it spreads fairly quickly if it catches on.

And to answer your question, I have no idea how "rolling" started. My guess? Someone with some sort of social connection early on in the recreational usage of MDMA once said something like "wow, this stuff really rolls along" or something, and it was turned into "rolling", and their various friends and other people present started using the term, and it spread. But again, I'm just speculating. I could be totally wrong. But that's how a lot of slang starts.

heh, interesting. you might have a point there.

i also heard that perhaps rolling comes from the fact that mdma and e generally have a stimulating effect, keeping people awake and energetic for extended periods of time, keeping them "rolling on"... might be another possibillity.

oh, and i prefer tripping balls to tripping face :p

my language also has some funny but hard to interpret slang, especially for alcoholic states: so one could be "snot"drunk, or nail drunk or even pie drunk. which obviously has no apparent connection, but people use them jsut because, to express how disconnected one is from reality.

I've been under the impression that "rolling" refers to the MDMA euphoria coming and going in intensity. You have those moments where you're very much there (what i've heard folks in the US call "blowing up"), then you come down a bit, and back up and so on...

...not sure where i first heard or thought that, though :)

think its more of a yank thing, people don't realy say it round here. well people migght say i'm tripping my bollocks off or something like that

Excuse me? I'm having trouble locating in my posts statements that are me being emotional and throwing a tantrum. Can you be more specific if you are going to make such accusations? I'm especially hard pressed in finding an example of me throwing a tantrum. I would also think it would be hard to throw a tantrum on internet as tantrums normally include some sort of physical out burst. Now, I'm not aware of what type of computer you have. Maybe I'm behind the times since you can some how see what I'm doing even when my webcam is off... :eek:

Now I'm starting to feel silly since I'm bothering to take the time to respond to you.

edit; if me finding something funny constitutes being considered emotional, then yes, I was being emotional, but humor is hardly bad thing.

[insults removed - please keep it civil :)]

i always thought rolling refered to when someones eyes roll back when they mashed on E? its not a term used in the UK at least where i live anyway, neither is balls think its just the hippy/ surfer type yanks that use it

Last edited by a moderator:
excuse me? Can you post something more a little bit more substantial. I'm feeling hard pressed to find any sort of meaning in your post. Can you be a little bit more specific? Your post means nothing unless you can clarify what the heck you are talking about.

Xorkoth has the right idea, as slang gains meaning when there is a mutual acceptance among a group of people to accept a common or culture meaning, just like a dictionary company (from my understanding, correct me if I'm wrong) who gathers a group of analyst to determine whether a word is accept among the official English language.

If a word is able to describe a meaning as well as any other "official" word in a given language, why shouldn't it be accept as an appropriate word to respond with in a given situation that exemplifies the meaning of the "word". Slang isn't slang unless there is a group of people who use the word in roughly the same meaning, so as long as the group of people who are in the midst of communication are able to comprehend each other, it shouldn't be worth any less than some bullshit "official" words or phrases that exist in the English language (or any language for that matter).

I feel as we all are, or at least most of us are, drug users, we should be able to comprehend the fact that, just because their isn't some official acceptance of what ever the fuck we enjoy or understand, that what we believe in or understand isn't worth anything less.

When I'm trying to communicate with an individual of course I'm going to try an speak a similar language or dialect to allow for a mutual understanding between one another. In my experience tripping balls allows for a strong understanding of one another. There isn't a problem with using any other sort of description to describe your current condition, but tripping balls is very well known among psychedelic drug users, and describes a realm/state of mind similar to many drug users psychedelics experiences. I know if I posted in the PD social thread saying that I'm tripping balls most everyone in the thread can understand if not relate to the situation I'm describing.

Also I don't watch star trek, sorry to disappoint you.

I can't comprehend how you can assume I don't have a life from a 9 sentence post. Are you saying I spend all my time on bluelight looking out for people who diss drug slang? Please enlighten me. Btw, I'm trying my hardest to not sound emotional, but I may have just fucked up again (I don't know how not to laugh at life.)

I didn't understand it until I started TRIPPING BALLS. Then it made perfect sense :)

Hah, probably the best explanation actually.

In all seriousness though, as people have said, "balls" can be added to the end of anything, as for where tripping came from - the act of taking a trip. Though additionally there's the trips and falls after a huge dose when you're trying to find your way to the bathroom hah.

It sounds like yet-another linguistic-degradation introduced by Surfer-Slang.

How arrogant...

Language isn't an entity set in stone, where any deviation from the norm equates to a 'degradation'.

Language is a constantly evolving process that relies on input from all speakers. Slang is an integrally important part of language: it always has been, and always will be.

The funniest thing of all is that all of you giving me slack for using the word "degradation" think that I am doing so because I'm snobbish. Would you be happy to learn that, at least technically, English is NOT my native language?

And by "degradation" I did not mean to look down: I meant taking two normally unrelated words and fusing them to create a new, nonsensical expression.

I don't know why people have taken so much offense to my comment. Maybe I plucked a thread that I shouldn't have? I didn't even say anything w.r.t. my opinion on slang.

You people need to take me off of the pedestal you built for me and stop imagining that I'm talking you down.

If that was the message you were trying to get across, I'm sorry I miss understood you. The problem is that degradation doesn't mean, taking two things and fusing them together to form a nonsensical expression.

It sounds like yet-another linguistic-degradation introduced by Surfer-Slang.

I wondered about how you managed to hyphen together yet and another, and now I think maybe you were trying to be clever. Which if so, it was. :)

But I gotta say, I didn't read the comment as anything but snob. If you really didn't have anything like that in mind when you wrote it, you should probably evaluate your word choice.

jamshyd, you're just all out of whack. not even sure what to say to you to put things into the proper perspective for you... i hope you figure it out buddy.