• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

diphenhydramine abuse effects?

veryvery

Greenlighter
it all started when i kicked street opiates (heroin, oxycodone, hydromorphone) and got into a methadone maintenance treatment program. i wasn't ready to stop getting high every day so i started taking some benadryl after my daily dose to try and reach that blissful nod. i love the way it made me feel, it took the edge off and just "zombified" me, as i like to call it. as my methadone tolerance dose up, as did my benadryl in take. for 8 months, i was taking anywhere from 250 to 400mg of diphenhydramine daily. i couldn't stop. i knew i was damaging my body, but at the time i just didn't give a flying fuck.

now, i've detoxed from methadone and cut my benadryl intake down drastically (maybe 50-100mg 3 times a week). i started to notice some changes in myself. my lower abdomen is cramped up at all times, i feel like i can't formulate sentences correctly, my people skills have gone down the drain, i'm depressed but can't muster up enough emotion to cry even though i feel like i need to, my brain just feels slow all around. do you think this is from my benadryl abuse and do you think these are just short term ramifications?

i know benadryl addiction/abuse is a pretty rare problem and it's long term effects from abuse aren't very well known. i just need some insight on the situation. so i turn to you, bluelight.

i'm really fucking freaked out. any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I don't know man. I feel exactly the same, and I am just coming off fentanyl now.

How was the methadone detox man? What happened? Why did you get off it? I am interested in methadone.

i moved to the big island of hawaii and there is only one clinic on the island, strategically placed on the opposite side of the island lol. there was no way i was going to be able to make that drive everyday, so i decided it was time to get off that shit. this is also when i cut down on my diphen. intake.

it was an absolute nightmare. vomiting started on the 4th day and lasted 3-4 days, liquid diarrhea started around the 7th or 8th. didn't sleep a wink for the first 5 days due to the worst restless legs i've ever experienced. had a feeling of anxiety that felt like someone was standing on my chest at all times. general outlook on life was grim. you know, the usual withdrawl story.

i smoked a lot of weed during my withdrawls and did MDA 2-3 times. the bud helped keep my attitude in check and i wouldn't have been able to sleep without it (when i could finally sleep lol). the MDA... the sweet psychedelic amphetamine.. did some the first day i was here and it really helped set in stone my decision to get off of methadone. amazing experience, very eye opening. whenever i started to get down on myself or if the urge to relapse became too strong to handle, i would do some MDA and it would totally rearrange my outlook on the situation for the better. amazing amazing amazing drug. :)

near the 14th or 15th day, my attitude brightened and a lot of the physical withdrawls (diarrhea, vomiting, restless legs) lessened. by day 21 or 22, i was almost back too 100%.

then these changes in my personality kicked in a couple weeks later.

hope that answered your questions.

I myself use to abuse benadryl on a daily basis. When I decided to quit drinking I found myself desperate for some sort of high, and of course I turned to benadryl. I use to take 300-600mg on daily. While I did initially feel lingering effects from those excessive doses I noticed that they've tapered off since I quit the benadryl. I'm now taking gabapentin everyday, and its made it very easy to quit drinking and I no longer feel the need to be "on" something all the time. I think its a real miracle drug.

benedryl is a mild ssri, ssris have some lingering strange withdrawal effects for some people. I wonder if that is some of what is going on with you? If so I'd expect a gradual return to normality over the next couple months.

it all started when i kicked street opiates (heroin, oxycodone, hydromorphone) and got into a methadone maintenance treatment program. i wasn't ready to stop getting high every day so i started taking some benadryl after my daily dose to try and reach that blissful nod. i love the way it made me feel, it took the edge off and just "zombified" me, as i like to call it. as my methadone tolerance dose up, as did my benadryl in take. for 8 months, i was taking anywhere from 250 to 400mg of diphenhydramine daily. i couldn't stop. i knew i was damaging my body, but at the time i just didn't give a flying fuck.

now, i've detoxed from methadone and cut my benadryl intake down drastically (maybe 50-100mg 3 times a week). i started to notice some changes in myself. my lower abdomen is cramped up at all times, i feel like i can't formulate sentences correctly, my people skills have gone down the drain, i'm depressed but can't muster up enough emotion to cry even though i feel like i need to, my brain just feels slow all around. do you think this is from my benadryl abuse and do you think these are just short term ramifications?

i know benadryl addiction/abuse is a pretty rare problem and it's long term effects from abuse aren't very well known. i just need some insight on the situation. so i turn to you, bluelight.

i'm really fucking freaked out. any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I can finally admit to something haha :). I used to abuse DPH before any drug and let me tell you I fried my brain haha, people noticed this that knew me before and I always told em I was a borderline addict to thizz pills. but I fucked myself with DPH.

When I do any strenous activites I get fucking horrible tremors never happened before. My short term memory is dead and I have problems forming sentences I stutter and misplaced words.

All before DPH I was normal, I fucked my brain.

Yah it did answer my questions quite gracefully :) thank you!!

You actually sound pretty good man?

Why would you get high just on benadryl alone? I can understand if u were on the done, but just benadryl alone?? I don't get it!!

Oh hey I got a theory man. When I got off dope last time, I felt pretty good for the first 2 weeks after, but then it was like the PAWS caught up with me or something? I was riding the manic train right after the WD, soooo...

btw how much methadone did you CT off? That sounds pretty tough man. Luckily I never vomit, even off a 500mg morphine iv a day habit??

Last edited: