• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Magnesium + Adderall

azureufc

Greenlighter
Hey guys,

I've searched around and found mixed feelings towards Magnesium (Citrate) supplementing and adderall tolerance

I am currently on an ongoing 3 month adderall tolerance break that concludes next month

I also recently bought a 90 capsule Magnesium Citrate 200 mg supplement bottle. Should I be taking a capsule of the Magnesium Citrate everyday BEFORE i start using adderall again? Will doing so further help lower my tolerance before I start using adderall again? Or is magnesium citrate only useful to be taken after an adderall dose?

Thanks guys

Thanks for the reply Depressica... but does that mean I should supplement daily from now until I start using adderall again?

It really helps with the stiff muscles and teeth grinding for me (B vitamins help a lot too), but I don't know about tolerance. If you want more bang for your buck try taking some Tums or other antacid before dosing.

I would take it the night before you pop an addy. You of course can start taking it now, but your tolerance won't be reduced too noticeably. Your 3 month vacation has already done that. Magnesium helps prevent, not reduce, an adderall tolerance for the most part.

Also, look into ZMA which is sold in all nutrition stores. It's zinc and magnesium aspartate. It was developed by BALCO and said to increase free testosterone and improve muscle recovery. You'll get more REM sleep on it; the dreams are crazy. Just a suggestion, but magnesium citrate is also a good form.

I take magnesium when I'm tweeking out. It relieves muscle tightness especially in my back, which is unbearable without it.

OP, where did you get the idea that magnesium citrate somehow affects amphetamine tolerance? I'm not challenging that, it's just that I've never heard that being so before. As others have stated, magnesium supplements have the capacity to help relieve muscle tension associated with amphetamines (I use 500mg magnesium capsules when I take my Dexedrine, but they are also invaluable when rolling).

Anyway, I'm just curious to read whatever source(s) you came across that suggest magnesium plays a role in the development of tolerance to amphetamines in humans. Thanks in advance; should be a worthwhile read :)

~ vaya

I did a lot of googling on ways to lower adderall tolerance. After reading numerous threads about magnesium, I chose to order a bottle of magnesium citrate for it's bioavailability

I posted here cause I didn't know whether I should take it every day leading up to my return to adderall, or use it along side my adderall

Can you post a link or two to the sources of information you found suggesting a link between magnesium and amphetamine tolerance?

~ vaya

I don't feel like it right now, I am not around my computer and am on the Internet via iPod touch wifi. It'd be a bitch to copy a link for you

just google it!!

Here's my daily Adderall supplemental resource pack (I take one of all these pills every morning):

Over-the-counter supplement pack:
L-Argenine (functions as a low level vasodialtor to counteract the amphetamine vasoconstriction effect which causes cold and numb toes and fingers as well as supporting better penis functionality)
5-HTP Helps to maintain a decent mood and slightly better comedown recovery rate.
Sam-e Functions as a low level anti-depressant and mood enhancer plus supports liver and brain functioning
Magnesium Helps to prevent the muscle stiffness, aching, and jaw clenching. Also has some added benefit of protecting nerves. I have heard that Magnesium also lowers the siezure threshold but I'm not 100% sure on that.
Melatonin (at night) Sleep and mood aid
Multi-vitamin with L-Lysine (helps slightly in comedown recovery)
Stress B Complex (Basically just a mix of B vitamins with anti-oxidents)
CoQ10 (blood pressure reduction, heart health, and anti-oxident effects as well as many other obscure health benefits)
Flax seeds (plant-derived omega 3 fatty acid, helps in blood pressure reduction and cholesterol reduction, you might as well have a good heart while it's under so much stress)
Fish Oil pill (contains Omega-3 fatty acids and is believed to have health benefits ranging from reducing the risk of heart attack and coronary heart disease to combating depression, bipolar disorder and schizophrenia.)
Garlic Pill Proven to lower cholesterol and support liver functioning

Pharmaceutically prescribed backups:
Inderal (Propranolol )(effective beta-blocker for blood pressure and inhibiting adrenal activity and mild tremors. This is very effective at lowering blood pressure and stopping your adrenaline dead in its tracks. Also helps with panic, you can probably get the job done with 40mg, but if you need to step it up you could go much higher and still be safe, I have used 100mg on myself before. Beware, you may get quite dizzy)
Klonpin (Clonazepam) Typical long-acting benzo can stop panic and siezuring/tremors quite well.
Trileptal (Oxcarbazepine) This is a somewhat unique anti-convulsant with amazing mood stabilization properties. The mood stabilizing effect is great for the comedowns. In fact I was actually prescribed this for my comedowns. When I get irritability or rage this pill will stabilize you. I take this daily now to reduce my seizure threshold way down so I feel safer on higher doses. It works by decreasing abnormal electrical activity in the brain...and I have a shit-ton of that.
Lexapro 30mg/daily This is one of the newer anti-depressant SSRI's and has very minimal side effects. It works amazingly well for me at keeping that creeping negativity and depression at bay... and I have lots of that too.
Remeron I only use this to knock myself out if I really need to sleep. It is basically an anti-depressant but also has a pronounced drowsiness effect. I can't stay awake if I try on this.

Oh yeah, and the Adderall daily dose which fluctuates...

for about the past 4 months i've been supplementing Chelated Magnesium (Glycinate) when i take my Adderall XR. i take 500mg. of Magnesium Chelate about 5-6 hours after my first Adderall dose, which is usually an hour after my second Adderall dose of the day. sadly, in regard to tolerance issues, i have no clue what is the best time to take it. for me, it seems Magnesium has somewhat slowed my tolerance from growing. more so, after a 3-4 binge, it seems like it enables me to bounce back to my "original" dose with quite a bit less trouble than before. with that said, i mess around with quite a few supplements... YMMV. lastly, if you haven't, check out this thread:

http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=97021

it's the best AMP tolerance reduction thread on the site IMO.
good luck with the Mg++

@Soap: good AMP supplement list. i'm quite familiar with most of the OTC ones you list. i don't see it mentioned very often at all but Dandelion Root can be used as an alkalizing agent if i remember correctly. the RX stuff, i only really know what's up with Klonopin and Lexapro as i am on both. i've used clonidine in the past when things have gotten out of hand as well.

^Violet, Yeah what's the deal with Magnesium Chelate? I have heard about this but I was not able to find it at the wallgreens around here. Is it a OTC sup?

I am currently on a mission trying to get my daily intake down to 50mg. I go on these occasional wacko binges. I keep messing up because it feels like 50mg in a day is never enough.

I found a thread on addforums, apparently provoked by a thread on Bluelight the author read, regarding Magnesium and Amphetamine Tolerance. Thought I'd post it!
:)

~ vaya

I just took a shitload of speed and stayed up all night for a study binge. Normally when I cram on speed I get a terrible headache. On top of that, being up all night makes my muscles stiff and incredibly sore. I don't know about the whole tolerance-lowering thing, but magnesium does work wonders for those physical side-effects. I also took a couple Stress-B Complex tablets (B vitamins and several different trace minerals and drank a lot of 100% orange juice and I feel great, just sleepy. But I'm not all sore and sketched out--something that ALWAYS happens when I stay up all night and stress myself out cramming. So I give mag and B vitamin supplements a thumbs up.

yeah I have also been awake for the last 2 nights and days straight and I've been chomping more magnesium than usual and I definitely ate a lot yesterday (500mg - 5 hard-to-swallow tablets) since after reading how ridiculously low the bioavailabity is for the regular tablets... Did the trick to combat probably around 90% of the muscle and jaw problems. And I always get those bad. So here's some more anecdotal evidence for the stack. The only thing I got going on today is that I feel the blanket of fatigue starting to set in, luckily I have the second wave of XR beads dissolving in my intestines and on the way to my rescue.

I'll have to get some sleep soon though. Day 3 things start getting weird and I start hearing an erie sound somewhere, of carnival music played out of a phonograph. Or distant muffled voices from out of radios. Almost always it is songs. It starts out kinda fun but on day 3 they usually take a turn into darkness.

I have been taking stupid amounts of adderall, like 300mg or so daily.

Here's my daily Adderall supplemental resource pack (I take one of all these pills every morning):

L-Argenine (functions as a low level vasodialtor to counteract the amphetamine vasoconstriction effect which causes cold and numb toes and fingers as well as supporting better penis functionality)
5-HTP Helps to maintain a decent mood and slightly better comedown recovery rate.
Sam-e Functions as a low level anti-depressant and mood enhancer plus supports liver and brain functioning
Magnesium Helps to prevent the muscle stiffness, aching, and jaw clenching. Also has some added benefit of protecting nerves. I have heard that Magnesium also lowers the siezure threshold but I'm not 100% sure on that.
CoQ10 (blood pressure reduction, heart health, and anti-oxident effects as well as many other obscure health benefits)
Flax seeds (plant-derived omega 3 fatty acid, helps in blood pressure reduction and cholesterol reduction, you might as well have a good heart while it's under so much stress)
Fish Oil pill (contains Omega-3 fatty acids and is believed to have health benefits ranging from reducing the risk of heart attack and coronary heart disease to combating depression, bipolar disorder and schizophrenia.)

Inderal (Propranolol )(effective beta-blocker for blood pressure and inhibiting adrenal activity and mild tremors. This is very effective at lowering blood pressure and stopping your adrenaline dead in its tracks. Also helps with panic, you can probably get the job done with 40mg, but if you need to step it up you could go much higher and still be safe, I have used 100mg on myself before. Beware, you may get quite dizzy)
Klonpin (Clonazepam) Typical long-acting benzo can stop panic and siezuring/tremors quite well.
Trileptal (Oxcarbazepine) This is a somewhat unique anti-convulsant with amazing mood stabilization properties. The mood stabilizing effect is great for the comedowns. In fact I was actually prescribed this for my comedowns. When I get irritability or rage this pill will stabilize you. I take this daily now to reduce my seizure threshold way down so I feel safer on higher doses. It works by decreasing abnormal electrical activity in the brain...and I have a shit-ton of that.
Lexapro 30mg/daily This is one of the newer anti-depressant SSRI's and has very minimal side effects. It works amazingly well for me at keeping that creeping negativity and depression at bay... and I have lots of that too.
Remeron I only use this to knock myself out if I really need to sleep. It is basically an anti-depressant but also has a pronounced drowsiness effect. I can't stay awake if I try on this.

you take melatonin in the morning?

Jeese, I thought I took a lot of supplements... I take bout the same amount I guess, but I take what I feel is needed at the time, only some of em are daily.

Hey bud thanks for your detailed and helpful reply about my adderall post

I have a question for you

my hands always become cold clammy and wrinkly when I do adderall, will l-argenine noticeably counteract this? I just want to find out how potent it is before I order a bottle on amazon

thanks man