• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Using opiates as an antidepression

100mgbluepill

Bluelighter
First off, a little history of myself: When i was 13 i saw my dad get hit by an 18 wheeler he was so close that the semi hit the truck i was in when my dad was slammed by the semi, he died instantly. 2 weeks later my mom gets remarried to who is now my step dad (my mom and dad were previously devorced for serveral years) Needless to say i didnt take it to well, i loved my dad dearly, he was my best friend, he meant the world to me. When it happened my mom tried to get me to see a counsler but i could never open up to some random person so i basically tried to forget that it ever happened and it turned me into a silent kid who just went through daily motions until i graduated from high school. I first started using oxicontin when i was 18 (the first opiate i ever took was 80mg of oc which i just popped not knowing how powerfull that shit is) With a little common sense i started taking smaller doses and nothing had ever made me feel so great. Made me have confidense, hope, desire to live everyday, it made everything interesting and i fell in love. I do have IBS and a broken clavical in my left shoulder and my right shoulder has tons of stretchd out tendons and its been popped out of its socket countless times so i do experince chronic pain on some levels just about every day but nothing i cant handle except the IBS. Last summer the woman of my dreams came out of no where so i decided i would stop taking oc. I went through some withdraws and what not but nothing i couldnt handle. I stayed clean for 4 months until she broke my heart which made me go right back to opiates for about a month until i got off my lazy ass and went out and got a job. Went through withdraws for about a week, couldnt sleep couldnt eat but i still was motivated and not contimplating suicide. Then the IBS really started to act up and this was when i broke my left shoulder (about 8 months from now) So i got 4 prescriptions for percs (10/325) and ever since those prescriptions i have not been able to be happy without some sort of opiate. I am constantly on edge always trying to figure out an easy way out so this can be over. I have panic attacks all the time and i have tried all sorts of anti depressents like seroquel zanax and kpins but they either make me really tired or just plain lazy and they seem to make my stomach problems worse when i take them. I have gone cold turkey from smoking weed for 2 weeks now (after smoking everyday for 2 years) i also went cold turkey from opiates bout 2 weeks ago as well and i have done the withdraws and all of that bullshit but i am constantly on edge, i cannot sleep for the life of me i am having panick attacks and life is just shit. I do not want to wake up in the morning i have no hope i feel like im living a nightmare. I used to snort the oxicontin and some of the percs but if i were to explain my situation to a doctor and have someone else taking care of my dosage and making sure i am just popping them would there be a chance that i could get prescribed some sort of opiate to help with my conditions? I am seeing phycatrist and i feel like im just going in circles, nothing is helping. I want to go to work and get my life back on track and get out my sisters house and live a life of my own but i cant do it in this state and i really dont know what else can do besides maybe get prescribed some sort of opiate to help. If anyone has any similar experiences please chime in. I dont want my life to end with a bullet from my own gun to my head.

Impossible to read

Formatting please!

Anywho, opiates work very very well for depression however it rebounds on you if you don't increase the dose.

You get so euphoric in the beginning you expect that in the latter
doesn't happen

Bad stuff to play with bro

I have a friend that had been taking antidepressants for several years & she would always be tired & in a zombie like state. She is married & has several children. Some how she always managed to get chores done & go on with life but in a depressed & sad state of affairs. She also has had constipation & found it hard to go to the bathroom for years.

One day she went to the dentist for a root canal & the dentist prescribed her Vicodin for her pain. Ever since she had taken that 1st pill, its like she is a totally new woman. To hear her tell her story sounds like a miracle in her eyes as she says Vicodin had lift her out of depression & into a world of possibilities with no end to what she is able to accomplish.

She takes her medicaion in moderation. She breaks her pills four ways, she has low tolerance & takes a quarter in the morning & a quarter at night & has been doing so for several months. She says she knows she will have to up the dosage as time goes on but for now, its working great. This is Vicodin ES she is taking & she functions very good on it. She has will to do all her chores, find time for her kids & be happy in her life. She also goes to the bathroom regularly "without constipation". (talk about reversing the trend)

She is night & day in comparison to the meds she was taking before. If doctors are giving antidepressants to make people happy, why dont they work. I have read & seen too many people miserable in their lives with or without antidepressants. I dont understand why doctors wont prescribe opiates for depression as they did before 1951, when they stopped prescribing it for depression.

Lets see here, take Prozac for the rest of your life & be miserable & in a zombie state or move on to an opiate & take it with moderation & there is a good chance you will get addicted but be happy for some time to come. Its a no brainer to me!

Opiates are not for everyone & they dont always work as well for depression as they did for my friend, but when you find something that will work for you, use it but use it responsibly & dont use it to just get high!

Last edited:
well there is no way in hell I was going to read that onslaught of words... paragraphs are your friend!

but yes, opiates can be used as antidepressants but can be problematic due to abuse issues as well as tolerance issues... I think Suboxone works better than any anti depressant I've ever been prescribed. I think it can work for some people, it takes self control, the right opiate, and obviously the person has to be willing to make the changes necessary to begin feeling less depressed.

personally I think Suboxone should be prescribed as an anti depressant more often, but I guess a drug like that works best with opiate addicts, I don't know how effective it would be without having an opiate addicted past.

anyway, Paragraphs!

Sooo much ignorance here...

Antidepressants don't exist to "make you happy," they exist to correct neurochemical deficiencies/imbalances.

Taking an opioid only works as an "antidepressant" in the sense that it hijacks your endorphin system to create pleasure/euphoria. This is NOT a true antidepressant effect, it's essentially just getting high.

OP, I'd suggest continuing to work with psychiatrists and psychologists to find treatment that works for you. Different medications work better for different people, so it can take some time to find the best one for you. I think therapy could really help you as well.

Sooo much ignorance here...

Antidepressants don't exist to "make you happy," they exist to correct neurochemical deficiencies/imbalances.

Taking an opioid only works as an "antidepressant" in the sense that it hijacks your endorphin system to create pleasure/euphoria. This is NOT a true antidepressant effect, it's essentially just getting high.

OP, I'd suggest continuing to work with psychiatrists and psychologists to find treatment that works for you. Different medications work better for different people, so it can take some time to find the best one for you. I think therapy could really help you as well.

Bottom line is do you want to live like a zombie (Prozac) or have a fullfilled life (self medicate yourself)?

I dont think anyone cares if your endorphins are hijacked as long as the opiates they are taking are working 1,000 times better than any antidepressant.

Of course you're entitled to your own opinion.

Last edited:
Although I agree that opiates have a great anti-depressant effect, Dokomo is right. It is because you are high. I have been on an SSRI for about 15 years. I don't feel like a zombie, in fact, I feel the opposite. It gives me energy and corrects my chemical imbalance that causes anxiety and slight depression.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to be prescribed an opiate for anti-depressant purposes, but there are reasons why it is not prescribed for that reason. And, even though SSRI's can be tough to get off of, it pales in comparison to the withdrawals from opiates. That is just pure hell.

Also, opiates cause rebound depression and anxiety when coming down. In conclusion, it's just not a practical way to treat emotional issues.

Although I agree that opiates have a great anti-depressant effect, Dokomo is right. It is because you are high. I have been on an SSRI for about 15 years. I don't feel like a zombie, in fact, I feel the opposite. It gives me energy and corrects my chemical imbalance that causes anxiety and slight depression.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to be prescribed an opiate for anti-depressant purposes, but there are reasons why it is not prescribed for that reason. And, even though SSRI's can be tough to get off of, it pales in comparison to the withdrawals from opiates. That is just pure hell.

Also, opiates cause rebound depression and anxiety when coming down. In conclusion, it's just not a practical way to treat emotional issues.

I hear what you're saying but antidepressants dont work for everyone so in the case they dont, you gotta find another way. Psychiatrists prescribe antidepressants thinking they are the cure for everyones problems. Why do people flip out on them & kill their kids & so on. Imo, antidepressants do help some people but dont believe the hype!

Remember, treating depression with opiates is "not" for everyone!

I gotta agree with dokomo and Dragonslayer428 on this ...I take an SSRI and have for 10+ years and it just took the right one to help me,some that are perfect for one person make another person feel terrible, i went through 5 different SSRI's before i found one that helps me,and I am no zombie when taking it ,quite the opposite. Opiates were once given out by doctors for deppresion altho at the time they did not understand the nuerochemical causes of deppression and how drugs worked in the brain on receptors and all that..Also in the 1950's till the mid or early 60's , doctors prescribed various amphetamines for depression, and often times made it worse although personaly I think that for some people a low dose amphetamine does help depression although it is not treating the chemical imbalances it's just getting you "buzzed" I suppose in those cases, like opiates get you high and do not treat the problem in the brain chemistry,but I guess to each there own but relying on opiates for the rest of your life to be "happy" is a hard road to go down...been there and don't wanna go back...

some psychiatrists use low dose ritalin or amphetamines as well for depression,and in some cases they still use electro convulsive shock treatements that actually work..although they put they person under anesthesia during the shock therapy i would not want to get it myself..

What a story. I managed to read it it.

In today's practice you are not going to get an opioid to treat depression. I'm sorry. You could continue to use them for this on your own, but down the road you'll end up regretting it. Tolerance and dependency will come into play. If you think your depression is bad now, wait until you're in fetal position, sweating in bed and can't get your opioid once dependency has set in. I know about this.

There is an opioid called tramadol, that also releases serotonin and works on noradrenaline. I was first put on tramadol when I was 15. As you can imagine I had a lot of teenage angst and depression at that time. I don't think it was just teenage stuff, though. I was unusually depressed and anxious. After I got on tramadol I noticed all of these symptoms vanished. It helped more than stronger opioids because of it's action on serotonin, etc. The doctor that originally had me on the tramadol (I use another doctor now), tried me on various anti-depressants months before he put me on tramadol for pain to treat a chronic condition I have. Tramadol helped more than those anti-depressants.

Now I'm 22 and still on the drug. Luckily, tolerance hasn't been much of an issue. I don't have to take dangerous amounts everyday. Sometimes I will run out a few days early, though. And withdrawal and rebound depression is so severe. For some reason I believe these 2-3 days of hell without tramadol to be worth the 26-28 days of bliss. But when you're in the moment of wd, you kind of think it's not worth it. Because withdrawal is....well, you'll see if you choose to use any opioid long-term.

I just don't know. The tramadol makes hardships of life more bearable. But humans aren't supposed to feel this good all the time. It's not natural. I shouldn't need to rely on a chemical. I have a beautiful daughter who just turned 1 year old yesterday. I have a wonderful fiancee, although our relationship is a little rocky right now. I've been stressed about it. I think her eyes are wandering. I think she may be cheating on me, or will cheat in the future. I can't stand it. But somehow the tramadol evens me out and makes me not worry about this. Tramadol making me not worry about anything has some negative impacts as well, don't get me wrong.

Don't do it. You seem to have an addictive personality. Do not do it. People say you can use it on occasion. But what are you going to do on those off days when you're depressed as hell? And using occasionally will turn into everyday eventually. Trust me.

Last edited:
What a story. I managed to read it it.

In today's practice you are not going to get an opioid to treat depression. I'm sorry. You could continue to use them for this on your own, but down the road you'll end up regretting it. Tolerance and dependency will come into play. If you think your depression is bad now, wait until you're in fetal position, sweating in bed and can't get your opioid once dependency has set in. I know about this.

There is an opioid called tramadol, that also releases serotonin and works on noradrenaline. I was first put on tramadol when I was 15. As you can imagine I had a lot of teenage angst and depression at that time. I don't think it was just teenage stuff, though. I was unusually depressed and anxious. After I got on tramadol I noticed all of these symptoms vanished. It helped more than stronger opioids because of it's action on serotonin, etc. The doctor that originally had me on the tramadol (I use another doctor now), tried me on various anti-depressants months before he put me on tramadol for pain to treat a chronic condition I have. Tramadol helped more than those anti-depressants.

Now I'm 22 and still on the drug. Luckily, tolerance hasn't been much of an issue. I don't have to take dangerous amounts everyday. Sometimes I will run out a few days early, though. And withdrawal and rebound depression is so severe. For some reason I believe these 2-3 days of hell without tramadol to be worth the 26-28 days of bliss. But when you're in the moment of wd, you kind of think it's not worth it. Because withdrawal is....well, you'll see if you choose to use any opioid long-term.

I just don't know. The tramadol makes hardships of life more bearable. But humans aren't supposed to feel this good all the time. It's not natural. I shouldn't need to rely on a chemical. I have a beautiful daughter who just turned 1 year old yesterday. I have a wonderful fiancee, although our relationship is a little rocky right now. I've been stressed about it. I think her eyes are wandering. I think she may be cheating on me, or will cheat in the future. I can't stand it. But somehow the tramadol evens me out and makes me not worry about this. Tramadol making me not worry about anything has some negative impacts as well, don't get me wrong.

Don't do it. You seem to have an addictive personality. Do not do it. People say you can use it on occasion. But what are you going to do on those off days when you're depressed as hell? And using occasionally will turn into everyday eventually. Trust me.

Slowdive makes good points about rebound depression & if you can wait for the 2 to 3 days to feel excellent the remaining days, I think its worth it! I know a guy that has bi-polar & if he doesnt get his meds, he gets wacky. So im assuming the people that dont get their anti-depressants have issues as well? There are good points & bad points to anti-depressants & opiates in treating depression, so I just dont see either side winning over the other.

Just because a guy in a white coat with a diploma on the wall tells you its the way it is, doesnt mean it is the way the world really works. Im not saying medical advice from doctors is bad, it just doesnt work for everyone!

Last edited:
I know what everyone is saying about taking opiates and growing tolerances etc. but that is not the case for me. Ive been taking them off and on for a year now with a couple of days inbetween doses i can stay at a low tolerance and not have to deal with withdraws. I know my body more than anyone here and i can go 2-3 days without feeling an physical or pshycological withdraws. When i do take some sort of opiate it makes me want live life, literally and when i go a week or two without some i am completely on edge and i have panick attacks that i cannot control. I have taken tranodol before and it worked wonders for me and i would continue to take it but i cant find it anywhere so i just go to the next best thing. Personally i would rather be self medicated rather than being on edge all of the time and not being able to just enjoy life. All i want out of this is to feel normal, not get high 24/7.

I have also tried some amphetamines and my body HATES them, if anything they just put me more on edge.

I have also tried some amphetamines and my body HATES them, if anything they just put me more on edge.

I use to like amps when me & my gf would want to stay up all night but now I cant stand them. Amps for depression dont bode well at all!

100mgbluepill, tramadol is hard to find on the streets as some people think it is worthless. I hope it stays this way so tramadol is easy to get for us to need it for pain and self-medicate with it for depression relief, because it does wonders for both. I know. I've been using it for 7 years.

You can go to a doctor and make up some kind of story about chronic pain and how you had tried tramadol before and it helped. Due to rules, I can't tell you exactly what to say to a doctor, but most of them will hand out tramadol. Some are on top of things and know the abuse potential of the drug. My doctor knows that tramadol can be abused and cause dependency, but he trusts me I suppose. As I get 120 tablets with 5 refills. So I have to go back to him every 6 months. That's all he asks.

I dont think it would be too hard to come up with some sort of story, i still see the same doc ive seen since i was 15 and he has prescribed me 10mg oxycodones and the 10/325 percs so i dont think he would think anything out of the ordinary if i mentioned tramadol. My only worry is getting it everything month, im not sure if he can prescribe refills or not and i really dont want to have to see the doc every month to get my prescripion refilled.

I dont think it would be too hard to come up with some sort of story, i still see the same doc ive seen since i was 15 and he has prescribed me 10mg oxycodones and the 10/325 percs so i dont think he would think anything out of the ordinary if i mentioned tramadol. My only worry is getting it everything month, im not sure if he can prescribe refills or not and i really dont want to have to see the doc every month to get my prescripion refilled.

I see.

Tramadol is not scheduled so he should be able to write refills, even if he doesn't have a DEA number.

Tramadol is scheduled in a few states as C-IV (it's scheduled in my state as well). Just check with that state you live in.

First of all, you really need to fix the format of that long ass post.

Second, if you are truly this against actually dealing with your problems and you really feel that opiates are the ultimate cure then look into getting on methadone maintenance. That way you aren't running around trying to get scripts from wherever you can, you don't have to worry about running out of shit, and you'll have someone watching your dosing and helping you to maintain your shit.

But really, your problems are still going to be there, no matter what drug you take, until you are willing to just deal with what's in front of you. Opiates aren't taking your problems away, they are just numbing you to the fact that you have problems and therefore you are putting off dealing with the inevitable bullshit that life hands to everyone.

Oh, and if you are on a controlled substance and living in the US, you will have to see the doc every month to get a script.