• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Using opiates as an antidepression

@the lostboys "The people I was reffering too are people that have exercised all avenues & have no where to go but down & yes I know that if you get addicted to opiates its bad but some people would rather take that option of trying them & see what happens. "

Excellent post and great points , if people are suicidily depressed for years and years and opiates make them feel better (doesnt matter why) they should be prescribed by a DR . Make the patient aware of addiction potential etc..obviously

@the lostboys "The people I was reffering too are people that have exercised all avenues & have no where to go but down & yes I know that if you get addicted to opiates its bad but some people would rather take that option of trying them & see what happens. "

Excellent post and great points , if people are suicidily depressed for years and years and opiates make them feel better (doesnt matter why) they should be prescribed by a DR . Make the patient aware of addiction potential etc..obviously

Thank you man, it is what it is & if people can use the help from somewhere else, so be it.

Yea, at first it works great, but it usually doesn't end that way. At first it may seem to give you lots of energy, make you more motivated and functional (though it doesn't have that effect on everyone), but then it may make you just want to sit around and be high, be too high to be able to do anything or go anywhere, or be in withdrawals and too sick to do anything, etc.

This will end up being your life, and the euphoria will decrease over time to staying just on the side of good, or not even that and just maintaining health (many heavy users are actually deeply depressed). So for most it ends up making them completely unfinctional, and just in a little better state than before or just needing it to be normal. Not to mention the destruction of the financial and social life, and problem with the law, that will inevitably come with time.

This is why it's not a good choice as an antidepressant and I hope you understand how serious this is. Rare is the person with the self control to be able to use opiates in a responsible manner and stay completely functional on them, and I think this is more for those who have it well together already and doesn't want to use it to patch up a ruined life. Though it can seemingly be used that way, but leads to a whole new set off problem, and eventually stops working. Mainly it kills motivation and eventually makes people want to do nothing but get high and unable to do anything else, and the daily problems an addict will face can be unsurmountable, as anyone will tell you. But if you want to go along for the ride, that is your choice, no way of knowing what it had in store for you.

Everything usually works great at the begining but fades away with time. It seems people are trained to think one way because its "what the doctors" have told them or its what the pharmaceutical companies have posted in the journals about ant-depressants (mostly lies) that have people saying, yes, big brother is right & everyone else is wrong.

I never said anti-depressants dont work, I said they dont work for everyone & if there is another route to take, maybe you should try the "lighter opiate" road, meaning no oxy's or heroin. You catch my drift & yes, the lighter opiates can lead to stronger opiates easily but like you stated, this is a tough road & if possible, the patient should be monitored carefully on these meds.

May I suggest trying Lyrica (pregabalin)? This is the only effective antidepressant/mood-lifter I have ever tried and works fine when used every two or three days (it needs at least one day to wash out of your system or you don't feel anything).

You could try out around 300-600 mg for an antidepressant effect. Be aware this is also addictive when taken regularly over long periods of time, and will send you into excuciating withdrawals after two days (even worse than opiate withdrawals for me), so make sure not to run out and taper down when you quit. This will give you a lift a few times a week at least, and doesn't come along with all the problems of opiates.

And if you are set on doing opiates I'd go for Kratom first, which is at least legal and readily obtainable, if not much more affordable. The regular leaf gives a mild buzz, kind of like "opiate coffee", was very effective as an antidepressant for me for about siz months, while the stronger extracts, like UEI and Full Spectrum Tincture could be comparable to Hydrocodeine, perhaps (this is supposed to be a secret to keep it legal, but at the same time the knowledge helps people). Kratom has a point it stops working, however, tolerance rises much more quickly, which can lead to high costs, and end up hurting you more that way.

When I first started taking Prozac it had some huge effects on me because I had been living years with extreme sleep deprivation and such. I ended up considering suicide for the first time in my life and realized amphetamines (the ady I was prescribed for ADD) helped me avoid those thoughts so I started taking them as an antidepressant with my antidepressant lol.

I ended up doing extremely reckless things with drugs throughout that year and just couldn't get enough of stimulants in general. It got to the point that I was going through 200-300 mgs of d-amp a day (vyvanse, adderall, and dexedrine prescriptions) and smoking meth 2-3 times a day in the bathrooms at school.

Anyways, the point is that I would be very careful about using drugs for this purpose because it makes developing an addiction almost unavoidable. Just think about it for a bit, when tolerance builds, how can relying on a drug like this not form an addiction?

When I first started taking Prozac it had some huge effects on me because I had been living years with extreme sleep deprivation and such. I ended up considering suicide for the first time in my life and realized amphetamines (the ady I was prescribed for ADD) helped me avoid those thoughts so I started taking them as an antidepressant with my antidepressant lol.

I ended up doing extremely reckless things with drugs throughout that year and just couldn't get enough of stimulants in general. It got to the point that I was going through 200-300 mgs of d-amp a day (vyvanse, adderall, and dexedrine prescriptions) and smoking meth 2-3 times a day in the bathrooms at school.

Anyways, the point is that I would be very careful about using drugs for this purpose because it makes developing an addiction almost unavoidable. Just think about it for a bit, when tolerance builds, how can relying on a drug like this not form an addiction?

Good points but you shouldnt compare speed with opiates. Heres a question: what happens if you would to stop taking your Prozac, what would happen? What im getting at is you will probably be taking Prozac for the rest of your life so you are pretty much a slave to the Prozac itself because without it you cant function normal. That is why you are taking it in the first place!

May I suggest trying Lyrica (pregabalin)? This is the only effective antidepressant/mood-lifter I have ever tried and works fine when used every two or three days (it needs at least one day to wash out of your system or you don't feel anything).

You could try out around 300-600 mg for an antidepressant effect. Be aware this is also addictive when taken regularly over long periods of time, and will send you into excuciating withdrawals after two days (even worse than opiate withdrawals for me), so make sure not to run out and taper down when you quit. This will give you a lift a few times a week at least, and doesn't come along with all the problems of opiates.

And if you are set on doing opiates I'd go for Kratom first, which is at least legal and readily obtainable, if not much more affordable. The regular leaf gives a mild buzz, kind of like "opiate coffee", was very effective as an antidepressant for me for about siz months, while the stronger extracts, like UEI and Full Spectrum Tincture could be comparable to Hydrocodeine, perhaps (this is supposed to be a secret to keep it legal, but at the same time the knowledge helps people). Kratom has a point it stops working, however, tolerance rises much more quickly, which can lead to high costs, and end up hurting you more that way.

Excellent post & good information!

Good points but you shouldnt compare speed with opiates. Heres a question: what happens if you would to stop taking your Prozac, what would happen? What im getting at is you will probably be taking Prozac for the rest of your life so you are pretty much a slave to the Prozac itself because without it you cant function normal. That is why you are taking it in the first place!

It's actually a perfect comparison because they are both euphoric, addictive, tolerance building drugs that are dangerous to be used for depression.

People arent getting the fact that whether or not the "antidepressent" in question is an opiate or like a benzo or whatever, your body is going to become reliant on something either way. Why not make it that something that your body is reliant on be the the drug that makes YOU happy? Whether it be a benzo, opiate or whatever. Just like TheLostBoys said, you are going to be dependent on something or another so why not make it the drug that actually makes you happy and gives you the ability to live a normal life..

Im not sure what people that take anti depressents do when thier script runs out, have panic attacks? I would much rather go through a withdraw faze, and that wouldnt even happen because both my sister and my mom are prescribed oxy so if i ran out i could use thiers and i have tons of friends that can get whatever opiate whenever so i would never run out.

For the record, im already taking bali kratom everyday It helps greatly with my stomach problems and it has actually made it to where i can eat more than one meal a day. For the past 6 months i have lost over 20 lbs without even trying because i simply cannot eat. Ive been taking about 5-7 grams of bali kratom everyday for a month now and ive already gained 5lbs!

It's actually a perfect comparison because they are both euphoric, addictive, tolerance building drugs that are dangerous to be used for depression.

Speed and opiates are two completely different things, amphetamines dont agree with my body any so i would never even consider using even adderal as an antidepressent.

People arent getting the fact that whether or not the "antidepressent" in question is an opiate or like a benzo or whatever, your body is going to become reliant on something either way. Why not make it that something that your body is reliant on be the the drug that makes YOU happy? Whether it be a benzo, opiate or whatever. Just like TheLostBoys said, you are going to be dependent on something or another so why not make it the drug that actually makes you happy and gives you the ability to live a normal life..

Im not sure what people that take anti depressents do when thier script runs out, have panic attacks? I would much rather go through a withdraw faze, and that wouldnt even happen because both my sister and my mom are prescribed oxy so if i ran out i could use thiers and i have tons of friends that can get whatever opiate whenever so i would never run out.

They are brainwashed into thinking one way, thats all it is & they cant think outside the box. They bow down to when big brother speaks.

I just dont understand who they cant see what we're saying? To everyone that keeps saying shit about euphoria etc. With my tolerance i wont be getting high at all, so in essence i wont be chasing any sort of high, it would level me out.

A girl giving me a blow job is addictive & euphoric as well but getting a bj & taking opiates are not comparable & they dont work for everyone the same way.

I just dont understand who they cant see what we're saying? To everyone that keeps saying shit about euphoria etc. With my tolerance i wont be getting high at all, so in essence i wont be chasing any sort of high, it would level me out.

Exactly! You're doing it to feel normal, not to get high, people have difficulty understanding that.

I actually believe relying on drugs as little as possible is best, I just occasionally use Prozac to set me straight again when I'm down in the dumps, but the year I described was my ultimate low. And the point was just that you need to be very careful using these kinds of drugs like that as you could just as easily get addicted to opiates and wind up a heroin addict. Opiates click with me and make the world right and I've thought bout using it for this purpose too, if you can keep it at low doses then it could maybe work.

Constant drug use usually means you're relying on it, but recreational drugs have a higher chance of you ending up in the gutter cause you can end up chasing the high. Have to be very careful as I honestly didn't realize I was addicted until one day I wasted a bunch of shit trying to do a line on the bus cause I was freaking from cravings.

They are brainwashed into thinking one way, thats all it is & they cant think outside the box. They bow down to when big brother speaks.

This has nothing to do with thinking outside the box. It may work out okay for some people to use recreational drugs this way, but for most it is a bad idea and there are tons of reasons for this. It isn't like people haven't considered the idea of using these drugs, in fact that is why they are saying these things, these are the conclusions THEY came to. Think bout the community here and realize how ridiculous these statements are...

I really hate when people think they are somehow unique and other people aren't, just because someone comes to a conclusion you don't agree with doesn't mean they are some sort of mindless drone...

I was only sharing my experience as it relates to addiction and the use of recreational drugs as an antidepressant. It wasn't meant as some antidrug bullcrap or comparison of the two drugs, it was just meant to trigger thinking so you proceed with caution. Usually the effects from these drugs that are helping you to feel happy/normal go away with tolerance as well, that is what I was getting at with my first post. Again not saying this isn't the case with most antidepressants and such, everyone that relies on a drug should make sure they have a plan to deal with this.

Last edited:
I actually believe relying on drugs as little as possible is best, I just occasionally use Prozac to set me straight again when I'm down in the dumps, but the year I described was my ultimate low. And the point was just that you need to be very careful using these kinds of drugs like that as you could just as easily get addicted to opiates and wind up a heroin addict. Opiates click with me and make the world right and I've thought bout using it for this purpose too, if you can keep it at low doses then it could maybe work.

Constant drug use usually means you're relying on it, but recreational drugs have a higher chance of you ending up in the gutter cause you can end up chasing the high. Have to be very careful as I honestly didn't realize I was addicted until one day I wasted a bunch of shit trying to do a line on the bus cause I was freaking from cravings.

This has nothing to do with thinking outside the box. It may work out okay for some people to use recreational drugs this way, but for most it is a bad idea and there are tons of reasons for this. It isn't like people haven't considered the idea of using these drugs, in fact that is why they are saying these things, these are the conclusions THEY came to. Think bout the community here and realize how ridiculous these statements are...

I really hate when people think they are somehow unique and other people aren't, just because someone comes to a conclusion you don't agree with doesn't mean they are some sort of mindless drone...

I was only sharing my experience as it relates to addiction and the use of recreational drugs as an antidepressant. It wasn't meant as some antidrug bullcrap or comparison of the two drugs, it was just meant to trigger thinking so you proceed with caution. Usually the effects from these drugs that are helping you to feel happy/normal go away with tolerance as well, that is what I was getting at with my first post. Again not saying this isn't the case with most antidepressants and such, everyone that relies on a drug should make sure they have a plan to deal with this.

Very well spoken, kudos! When I said about the brainwashing, I meant to say that since lighter opiates are not prescribed for depression, immediately people tend to think bad & with the addiction opiates cause, I understand there concern but anti-depressants have seriously destroyed alot of people also but you dont hear about it because they are legal to prescribe. Hence people are programmed in what is & what is not by the media & what they read in the journals.

Very well spoken, kudos! When I said about the brainwashing, I meant to say that since lighter opiates are not prescribed for depression, immediately people tend to think bad & with the addiction opiates cause, I understand there concern but anti-depressants have seriously destroyed alot of people also but you dont hear about it because they are legal to prescribe. Hence people are programmed in what is & what is not by the media & what they read in the journals.

I was really expecting a negative response, I'm glad you didn't take it that way.

Just the other day I was actually complaining bout how my doctor wouldn't give me some Vicodin for my back injury even though he tried to throw antidepressants at me within minutes of meeting him and he'll write me as many amphetamine prescriptions (for whatever dose) as I want.

Last edited:
I was really expecting a negative response, I'm glad you didn't take it that way.

Just the other day I was actually complaining bout how my doctor wouldn't give me some Vicodin for my back injury even though he tried to throw antidepressants at me within minutes of meeting him and he'll write me as many amphetamine prescriptions (for whatever dose) as I want.

Its ashame that the doctors are scared to prescribe pain meds for people that really need them because of the pressure they feel from the DEA. I guarantee you if a family member of the doctor needed pain meds, there would be no problem.

I just wish this thread would fucking die and go to hell. All of the comments that have been made for the pro side... Just Fuck. Your opinions are treading water in a sea of retarded backwardity, yet they haven't drowned yet; it's baffling. This thread has taken years off of my life, my 19 year old hair is going gray, and with every post the "pro-side" has made, I have lost a little bit of faith in the collective intuition of my fellow man. I hope you're all happy with yourselves. I'm now going to go drink until I forget about half the shit these four pages has tormented me with.

And again, excellent big brother comment. I'm beginning to doubt that you've ever read this book (It's called 1984 by George Orwell by the way...), Big Brother would probably love to keep all of the people in Britain (Airstrip One) on opiates to better control them, and keep them in a constant, zombified state of suspended animation. Which is what opiates inevitably do. However, resources are stretched thin by the never ending war being fought throughout the novel, making mass production of opiates practically impossible. You are entitled to your opinions, but please don't spread you're cretinous philosophical filth and theories to one of the greatest works of modern literature in existence, and one of my favorite books. That my friend is one thing that easily offends me.

I've read your last several points, and there is just so much to say in response, but it would be an insult to my own character to address each one individually. The alleged universal harm of antidepressants, the DEA stopping your theories from working, doctor's being scared of prescribing pain medication for depression? May god have mercy on your soul lostboys...

Seacrest out

Last edited: