• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

FDA approves Ecstasy : New treatment of Iraq war veterans with resistant PTSD

matt2012

Bluelighter
Veterans from Iraq and other theaters of war may receive treatment with Ecstasy! The FDA has given approval for a trial of treatment for PTSD in a combination of psychotherapy and Ecstasy. This is a major step forward in mental health methods of treatment.

Denver is a likely VA hospital site for this ground breaking work in which there has been success treating men and women who have been unable to be helped by any other methods, including anti -depressants, psychotherapy, relaxation training and support groups.

The initial results are excellent. Ten out of a group twelve test subject showed very positive effects from the treatment protocol. A combination appears to be the surest method therefore the chemical MDMA is paired with physical monitoring to watch for side effects and to be a therapeutic agent as well.

http://www.examiner.com/x-5365-Denv...rans-with-resistant-PTSD--Encouraging-results

By Taylor Lynne Trentwood, Ph.D.
Denver Life Coach in Health
August 9,2010

Last edited by a moderator:
Everyone who has taken MDMA knows how powerful of an experience can be. The tides are turning and someday the entire array of schedule1 drugs will dissapear for a more balanced, scientifically based system that gives people a chance at life, instead of addicting them to more 'acceptable' substances and fillling the pockets of big pharma.

Everyone who has taken MDMA knows how powerful of an experience can be. The tides are turning and someday the entire array of schedule1 drugs will dissapear for a more balanced, scientifically based system that gives people a chance at life, instead of addicting them to more 'acceptable' substances and fillling the pockets of big pharma.

MDMA can be just as addictive, psychologically, as any "big pharma" drug.

I think its ridiculous when people try to turn the medical use of schedule I drugs into an either/or dichotomy with conventional pharmaceutical drugs. For example, opiates vs. cannabis for pain. Obviously for certain people one or the other will work better, and that's fine. But I certainly wouldn't want to see cannabis as the ONLY drug available for chronic pain.

The more logical approach is to think of the available drugs to be prescribed as tools in a tool kit. Obviously, the more tools you have in your tool kit, the more you can accomplish. But you're not going to throw out a screwdriver just because you just purchased a wrench. I'm all for MDMA being available for therapists to use, but your opinion that it will render current pharmaceutical treatments obsolete is, quite honestly, invalid.

I think its ridiculous when people try to turn the medical use of schedule I drugs into an either/or dichotomy with conventional pharmaceutical drugs. For example, opiates vs. cannabis for pain. Obviously for certain people one or the other will work better, and that's fine. But I certainly wouldn't want to see cannabis as the ONLY drug available for chronic pain.

The more logical approach is to think of the available drugs to be prescribed as tools in a tool kit. Obviously, the more tools you have in your tool kit, the more you can accomplish. But you're not going to throw out a screwdriver just because you just purchased a wrench. I'm all for MDMA being available for therapists to use, but your opinion that it will render current pharmaceutical treatments obsolete is, quite honestly, invalid.

I agree with EVERYTHING you've said, other than the first sentence.

I quite simply don't believe that the psychological addiction some people experience with MDMA can be anything like the crippling physical (and psychological) addiction so many people experience with SSRIs and benzos.

edit: In my haste, I forgot to comment on the OP. Fantastic news, I think we can all be pretty confident that with an 83% positive outcome and the extensive safety profile of MDMA, the FDA will have a hard time holding this one back.

Sure, it's not the outright legislation which would be preferable, it might be stringently regulated, and it might be as difficult to get it as it was to get on the US federal weed program back when it existed, but it's all progress.

If it is found to work for soldiers, how long before rape victims start petitioning for their right to this medicine, then how long before anyone with PTSD that seriously inhibits their every day life starts petitioning.

Who knows, perhaps this could be the start of something big.

Last edited:
let's just hope this leads to medical grade mdma becoming availible, black market or otherwise.

YAY!! :)

I was wondering when this was going to happen, kudos FDA, keep it coming. :)

Not sending people overseas to get PTSD in the first place would be more effective IMO.

This is not a good thing.

The U.S. military has a history of using currently illicit substances to exert favor in extreme circumstances. I'm sure that the FDA ok'ed it so soldiers who have already been on four tours of duty with PTSD can now return, because a combination of MDMA and psychotherapy cured them. I just hope that these soldiers aren't forced to go back to a tour of duty.

This would be nice if it were used for PTSD in the general public.

The U.S. still promotes use of "go-pills" in the Air Force for fighter pilot positions. These "go-pills" are mainly pharmaceutical amphetamines. Like ^, illicit drug use in our domestic military is viewed by our government as acceptable, when recreational use is seen as punishable by law. I agree with the concept or using it for PTSD and vets. regardless, MDMA treatment is very interesting, but I believe it needs to be properly regulated, if it were to ever both work and gain public praise.

holy crap I made the front page!!!

I had to post this when i saw it...too bad the article was so short. Not a ton of info there but great news nontheless

Another thought - people seem to be forgetting what the therapeutic dose is. MDMA therapy does NOT take place with daily consumption of MDMA, you take it almost recreationally.

One good, strong roll (100-150mg) once every few months, under the controlled supervision of a trained therapist.

This is when MDMA is its most psychedelic anyway, that one off eye-opening experience. After that, I very much doubt any war vet (or anyone with PTSD) is going to want to roll again straight away.

Awesome news, maybe in like 10-15 years they will lower it a Schedule II or III! I am not being sarcastic here, considering what an easy target drugs are for politicians, this is good news.

While MDMA can definitely be addictive, I think you'll find that pain killers/heroin/benzos tend to be much addictive, and more importantly harmful than MDMA. I've heard of a few people going overboard with MDMA, but practically everyone I know who has used H more than one time eventually got addicted and many of them eventually graduated to shooting up. Benzos and booze aren't as consistent with ruining people's lives, but IMO their still much harsher than MDMA.

Then there is the issue of deaths. How many people die from MDMA use every year? What's the mortality rate per 100,000 users? I don't have the data for MDMA, but for Heroin and opiate like substances there where 17,000 deaths in North America alone (data is for 2006 from the UNODC's 2010 report). While some of that was related to Heroin, a good chunk of socially accepted prescription opiates.

Not sending people overseas to get PTSD in the first place would be more effective IMO.

This is not a good thing.

I agree about not sending them overseas but how is this treatment not a 'good' thing? It's one step in the right direction for illicit drugs to become more acceptable like they should be, plus MDMA in particular has been known for a while now to be effective with PTSD cases.

Does anyone know how in the past or present they administer this drug? In the article it says a combination of MDMA and physical monitoring. Does this mean they give the patient the drug then watch him through a glass window in another room?