What happens for being caught via FedEx?

PopoSujo45

Greenlighter
Hi, I want to thank any and everyone in advance for coming to my aid with any advice or information on this hypothetical situation I'm about to lay out.

Say hypothetically that you lived in California, and you were going home to visit Virginia for a week. You got your friend in Cali to send you a package with a few grams of marijuana and few ecstasy pills the day your flight left. Well somewhere in between FedEx decides to look in the box and finds the goods. You get arrested in your hometown that you're visiting in Virginia a few days after you land. Your mom calls your friend back in California to let them know you're in jail awaiting arraignment.

As the individual in jail in Virginia who is a resident in CA, or that individual's family, is there anything you can do to speed up arraignment process? What can you be expecting as far as charges? When could you be expected to be able to return to CA?

As the friend back home who sent the package via FedEx, what should you be expecting? The return address was an old one but it did have a last name on it and the FedEx location it was sent from has security cameras so the chances of it being tracked back are very high.

Again, many thanks to any advice or information that can be provided.

9/10 regular letters wont get checked, especially domestic ones, however nothing is constant regarding search of mail, either by dog or by scanning.

FedEx wont even let police dogs into their buildings, however they do periodically x-ray parcels both domestic and international letters/packages. (source is a friend who worked for FedEx for a few years doing this job).

Your "hypothetical question" is very very specific, and somewhat hard to read. Can you please clarify so we know exactly what you're talking about here? If it truly is a hypothetical question, could you please simplify it? If its a real scenario, please drop the act and be straight with us, that kind of talk isnt doing anything but making the post hard to read, it wont help you legally if thats what you're worried about.

Chances are if they got you on the matter, they'll try to track down the sender to knab him as well. If they do, he could probably be facing distribution charges. Dont quote me on that though.

My money says that if the return address isnt legit the other person probably wont have any issues. If its a small amount of drugs thats being sent they're probably not going to launch a full investigation, however you really cant be too sure.

Id advise that you get a good lawyer and dont talk until you've talked with the lawyer. I suggest the sender get a good lawyer as well if it gets back to him.

Last edited:
Don't use fedex to mail drugs FFS.

Am i correct in assuming this situation isn't "hypothetical" and you are the "friend" who mailed said drugs?

Thanks for the replies.

I myself am not involved but two of my close friends are. Here in CA my friend has yet to hear from any authorities and has not been contacted by FedEx. My friend in VA will hopefully be on the way back to Cali following his arraignment Friday.

lol I think you have fully stretched ''hypothetical'' here. If you hypothetically have anything illegal I would ditch it now. If you can hypothetically leave town for a minute I would. If hypothetically speaking your friend cant get bailed out of jail he could hypothetically speaking be there till his trial or plea deal is hypothetically accepted.

Don't use fedex to mail drugs FFS.

Am i correct in assuming this situation isn't "hypothetical" and you are the "friend" who mailed said drugs?

Do you think Fed Ex is not as safe as other other private courier or USPS ? If so, why?

Sorry about the overuse of "hypothetical" in the OP, it was just that I had found out literally minutes before and was still in shock and freaked out.

On a positive note my friend here in CA still hasn't heard a thing and my jailbird in VA is only getting hit with two possession charges rather than anything like transporting across state lines or something federal.

Because a warrant is needed to open USPS mail. It is not needed for Fedex/UPS/DHL

True but using the postal system to do something illegal is a seperate felony on top of the drug charges. FYI

i know when i worked for one of the carriers that if i thought a box had pot inside it would have walked of the job with me when i got off - but i worked for dipshits and i doubt a UPS package handler would get away with stealing packages. my job site was pretty rife with it.

Work for ups and fedex, a lot of dumb people send weed without masking the smell. my bosses have told the drivers about it. They label it a suspicious package. I know a couple times they send it on it's way and most likely inform law enforcement on the other end to bust the person receiving. Though we usually like to give the sender a chance, call 'em up and say you better pick up your package, it smells funny.

Where you ever in possession of the drugs? Do they know who sent them? All you have to do is deny you where aware drugs where being sent to you. They have no case.

This is the same reason why people who are ordering narcotic drugs without a perscription over the internet are rarely charged. Its hard as hell to prove in court that you knew about a plain package with drugs being sent to you.

Listen... from what I know if a private courier suspects drugs, gets a warrant. they open it, and police deliver it undercover... when you sign for it you are accepting possession as well as the responsibility of what the package contains.

From personal experience at working at UPS when i was younger nothing ever got searched. I saw lots of shit that had to be illegal especially in canada getting shipped through. On one occasion a handgun and a box of shells right out of the box and as far as i can tell it wasent going to any sort of company just a person. All i did was put the lot of it back in the box wrap some tape around it and send it on it's way. Ive heard of similar things happening in fed ex though i never worked there.

My guess would be that the chances of that even getting opened is about 1 in 10 and thats probably overestimating really. I know in UPS the only thing that ever got a second look was anything that was a hazardous chemical or something that could explode. Of course even this was ignored as some explisive liquid (i forget what) once set a good proportion of the place on fucking fire. Also a co worker of mine nearly got a face full of lye another time.

So yeah the rules are pretty lax atleast from what i know. The chances of it getting searched domestically are pretty slim.

Listen... from what I know if a private courier suspects drugs, gets a warrant. they open it, and police deliver it undercover... when you sign for it you are accepting possession as well as the responsibility of what the package contains.

A friend of mine almost got caught his way shipping internationally. In some countries you have to sign and say there is nothing illegal in it if you even want it shipped express though regular post. Thats reallly the only way someone could get in trouble over this. Or the most likely way anyway.

Work for ups and fedex, a lot of dumb people send weed without masking the smell. my bosses have told the drivers about it. They label it a suspicious package. I know a couple times they send it on it's way and most likely inform law enforcement on the other end to bust the person receiving. Though we usually like to give the sender a chance, call 'em up and say you better pick up your package, it smells funny.

a chance to what? walk into a trap? Im still not sure why you hypothetically put your last name on the package. If i was up to them shenanigans i wouldnt touch the package without gloves or put my name on it.