View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

NEW THREAD FORMAT! Please read

Status
Not open for further replies.

phr

Ex-Bluelighter
Hi guys. In effort to better conform to copyright law, we need to make a change to our article posting format.

From now on, please do not post the full article text.

Continue to post the title, author, place of publication, date of publication, and a link to the article.

Instead of posting the full article, pick a part of it and post that. Most have articles have an introductory paragraph, and it is recommended that you post that.

We haven't yet decided how we'll handle the thousands of threads with the previous format, and we may make more changes in the future.

Related reading: http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/07/copyright-trolling-for-dollars/ (Lame, but it is what it is.)

I'll leave this open for any suggestions or related discussion.

Thanks,
DiTM staff

Thanks, Phrozen.

It is unfortunate that we have to resort to this, but such is life in (or dealing with) lawsuit-happy people/countries.

I would encourage people to post highlights of the article - the introduction, of course, but also anything particularly interesting you find in the main body.

I would also encourage people to click on the link and read the entire article, instead of relying on the posted highlights. It is good to stay informed.

Thank you all for complying with this new format.

This is akin to hydraulic engineers suing individual beavers. The news media is essentially a massive copy-paste operation and a lot of their content is paraphrased from Wikipedia. Much of Wikipedia's pharmacological and psychedelic material has been assembled by a few hundred hands, and some of those hands belong to frequent contributors of usenets like Bluelight.

Jeez that is a bummer :\ Ah well ay?
Nice one for putting this up phrozen :)
I'd also suggest you add "... Seriously.. fuckin read this.." to the end of this thread title to reiterate it's importance =D

I can only see this causing problems if the article was taken from a "pay site" If the article was put somewhere where the hole world could see it without special membership or premission then the person who put it there was releasing it to the masses with the understanding that it would be spread.

I am no lawyer but I can't see how this has any legal foothold as long as the person posting the article was not the person who took it off of a site that was in the private sector and put it in the public domain.

Well that sucks. Are you guys really worried about some chump from Las Vegas that wears a pin striped vest?

peace.
seedless

This is sad =(

Copying the article preserved it, for one, they could be edited by the source later, besides that though the originals aren't available forever. This was a nice informational archive, I'm sure there are things saved on BL that aren't hosted at their source anymore.

Well that sucks. Are you guys really worried about some chump from Las Vegas that wears a pin striped vest?

peace.
seedless
Well, it's not about just him. Others can(are?) do the same thing.

Unfortunately we have to take this step in order to protect the site.

People don't read stickies. :|

I planned on letting it ride around here, bumping it a bit, and then incorporating it officially into our forum guidelines.

The old format is legal if the righted material is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

From section 107 of the US Copyright Law.

So it says we need permission?

That's not gonna work.

So it says we need permission?

That's not gonna work.

No it says if people have expressed interest for education or research purposes it's legal.

It's not plagiarism if A. You don't claim it as your own and link your sources and B. You aren't making money off of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.