• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids How counter feeling of nausea when taking codeine

tomber

Bluelighter
How can I reduce the nausea associated with taking codeine in higher amounts. I have googled and searched but about the best I came up with is either to eat beforehand or just not take very much. I don't use often so when I do what do you recommend to avoid it as a minor inconvenience, is there anything specific?

I would recommend a few travel sickness pills
or antihistamines - these should do the job, as well as potentiating the codiene to a certain extent.

Lots of little lines rather than big fat ones that drip down your throat works for me.

does it have tylenol in it? prolly not helping - i get pretty sick when i smoke opium, but hey

I never got anything from the travel sickness pills. Then again I only tried them after a dope overdose. :\

Like someone said above, try to spread out your dose as much as possible. Also, don't eat or drink much or move around. Try laying down.

Ondansetron ( Zofran ), promethazine, diphenhydramine , hydroxyzine,

Ondansetron ( Zofran ), promethazine, diphenhydramine , hydroxyzine,

I wanted to add Marinol (also known as Dronabinol) to the list. It contains THC (active ingredient in Cannabis), so I suppose smoking a bowl would have the same effect, chemically speaking.

smoking a bowl would in fact be better, because it includes more cannibinoids, mostly THC and CBD.

promethazine.

which is why its often added to codeine cough syrups.

All the way ;)
Works well. There's also certain Antipsychotics but they're not things to mess with really.
Promethazine does have Antipsychotic properties but they're very, very mild in comparison to Antipsychotics that are used clinically for Psychosis et al.

^ Good point! That sometimes works well depending on how you tolerate Weed (I say that because it's quite common for Opiate users to "go off" or not be able to handle Weed anymore - I'm one of them :\ ).

I went through a stage where I kind of stopped smoking herb when doing dope. I soon got over this and started smoking with it. it is nice.

I'd also like to point out that IV promethazine is rather sedating (25mg has me cross eyed in 5 mins. and asleep in about 10-20 mins) its less sedating orally.

Thanks guys I'll try be trying alot of these. I've smoked to help it before but its not always possible if I'm in a social setting. But this helps alot!

Medicines for nausea are known as antiemetics and there are many out there but they fall into a couple basic categories.

First we have drugs like Zofran (ondansetron), which is often used for chemotherapy induced-nausea works on seratonin in the CNS and GI as an antagonist.

Dopamine agonists are very common and include the antipsychotics as was mentioned and specifically one AP that is commonly used as an antiemetic is compazine (prochlorperazine). These are effective but have nasty side effect profiles.

The common OTC motion sickness meds are all antihistamines like dramamine (dimenhydrinate which is very similar to diphenhydramine) and Meclizine (sold as Bonine or Dramamine II which is similar to cyclizine).

Then of course we have the cannabinoids and their antiemetic properties are well known and discussed above.

Anticholinergics were historically used for nausea and share many properties with the old antihistamines like dramamine and benadryl.

Promethazine is interesting because its an antipsychotic with anticholinergic effects and is probably the most common antiemetic combined with codeine due to relief of nausea, synergistic effects and a tolerable side effect profile.

Choosing an antiemetic depends on a lot of factors and that's why there are so many that have such drastically different mechanisms of action. Different side effect profiles, legalities (cannabis), indication and Rx vs. OTC status factor in the decision of which is optimal.

First we have drugs like Zofran (ondansetron), which is often used for chemotherapy induced-nausea works on seratonin in the CNS and GI as an antagonist..

yes, this would probably work with opiate nausea, but let me tell you, it does NOT work for chemotherapy nausea.

my stomach feels like a chemistry set all the time. but none of the shit works, the promethazine just knocks me out, and zofran doesn't do anything. weed is what I found works best. so I do me a fat shot of morphine, take me some valiums, smoke some herb and I'm feeling ok. mostly due to the morphine! ;)

^you demonstrated part of what I was trying to get across- different antiemetics work on very different areas of the brain so while one might do fuck all for nausea (like zofran for you) another might be a god-send (like cannabis).

Then for others, compazine might work well for one person while another gets all the nasty AP side effects.

Then someone else might respond great to zofran while cannabis makes them feel dizzy and uncomfortable... Or so they think but its really just the wildly sativa strain combined with their anxiety or something.

When choosing an antiemetic, there are a lot of factors to consider and even then, they can be very hit or miss.