• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids How counter feeling of nausea when taking codeine

Promethazine is an excellent antihistamine, both for its official role and as for potenting opiates. Sold OTC in the UK.

I've cut back on usage of it, just now & again & low dosage. Because too much/often makes you feel shit the next day.

i cant believe nobody mentioned lying down for a few moments yet!

OP: how much codeine do you take

^yeah, can't believe no one mentioned that! (Except the 3rd and 6th posts of course ;) )

yes, this would probably work with opiate nausea

I see it co-administered alot with opioids in the hospital, so there must be some kind of studies suggesting it works well. I personally don't get too much nausea from opiates anymore so it's kindof null and void to me. Sorry to hear about the cancer bro. :\

cold water extraction so the asprin or w.e doesnt give you rot gut or nausea. music is good lying down or even rubbing your stomach in circle motions bleching seems to help for me thats all i can think besides drugs that can prevent it.

Tums works for me. But if availble promethezine works best and even increases the high IMO. I hope you find something that works. Good Luck bud!

OMG...i hated this. I have stopped this drug. I had to take loads just to get a little buzz.

Last edited:
I feel like I'm going to DIE when I take 60mg of codeine, and mostly its dry heaving, nausea and a rash. Its horrifying. Will antihistamines lessen this hideously extreme reaction?

If 60mg induces such a reaction then I'm not sure continuing use is a wise idea. Then again, when is opiate misuse a wise idea?

If you're desperate, you could just tell your GP that you're having issues with chronic nausea. It's not that uncommon, especially if it's episodic. They could potentially write you a script for an anti-emetic drug eg. Zofran (Odansetron).

For me though, I can honestly say the 'Mother's" cures for nausea seem to be pretty effective. Get some crackers, preferably saltines or mayber some graham crackers. Hell, bread would probably suffice. Also, get some ginger ale. The ginger DOES help with nausea. I know it does for me. I'm assuming that your nausea comes in waves when you're on opioids, it does for me and most of my acquaintances. When you feel those waves coming on, grab your drink and crackers/snacks.

When you feel that nausea. Sit in whatever position feels most comfortable. This is a trial and error thing. Some find sitting to be better, others lying flat or at a slight incline. Nibble at a constant basis on your crackers. Chew, taste, use your ginger ale to wash it down in sparing amounts, as liquid will exacerbate your problem. Turn on your TV or music. You are not nauseous, you are merely listening to music and enjoying some crackers. Nausea is not in your mind at all.

You can't always stop it, sometimes it's just gonna come up. I wish you the best, and be sure to rehydrate with plenty of fluids if you're vomiting. Make sure that you have some kind of balance of sodium/electrolytes as you're rehydrating. It will ultimately be better for your health and probably make you feel better.

Although I practically enjoyed vomiting on opioids once I was rightly accustomed to it. I'd would just stick my head out the car window as if it was nothing and resume conversation, not missing a beat. ;)

Gravol
Stemetil
Hydroxyzine sometimes works
But usually I pop half a gravol. A whole tab works better but I get sleepy around the 2 he mark ( I think you guys call Gravol Dramamine in the states)

I HATE antihistamines with a passion and do not wish to sleep for 8 hours when taking opiates, so I stick with a bit of ginger root tea and (sometimes) cannabis. Peppermint tea is also good. Not looking at moving TV/computer screens or riding in cars helps too. Opiate nausea is similar to motion sickness so being perfectly still is better than moving. Not always possible, I know.

If nausea is a serious ongoing problem, ask for a Zofran scrip. They also have those scopolamine patches that go behind the ear.

Eventually I stopped bothering to countering the nausea, and instead welcomed it as a sign of a decent dose.
That or 3l of vile Poppy Tea being too much for my stomach...