• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Is Xanax and Valium a good replacement for Temazepam?

MutinyOnDeck

Greenlighter
My doctor prescribed me Temazepam and when I took 50mg of it I was able to sleep for around 10-12 hours. I have run out and I need to sleep tonight so I was wondering if I can take 30mg of Valium and 4mg of Xanax if that would work or have any repercussions?

Welcome to Bluelight MutinyOnDeck :)
your question well suited to basic drug discussion. the support forum is for help with using the site, technical problems, rule clarifications-that sort of stuff. There is a Homeless threads forum for when you aren't really sure where a thread would go.

I'm no benzo expert, but what I would do is take the valium dose or the xanax dose- and at my (non)tolerance level I'd take less than either of the quantities you are suggesting- but anyway I can not see a benefit in mixing two different benzos. Please be careful, benzos are useful therapeutically and recreationally but they can get out of control and be more burden than fun pretty easily.

I assume a support mod will move this for you to BDD or another applicable forum after a while.

My doctor prescribed me Temazepam and when I took 50mg of it I was able to sleep for around 10-12 hours. I have run out and I need to sleep tonight so I was wondering if I can take 30mg of Valium and 4mg of Xanax if that would work or have any repercussions?

I wouldn't understand why not, just make sure that your using benzo responsibility and limit it to only therapeutic purposes. From my understand that's like asking if heroin would be a replacement for hydrocodone; only thing you may notice is that xanax is less sedating than temazepam; I'd personally recommend valium.

some people find xanax sedating, especially at high doses like 4mg... so combined with 30mg valium it should definately help u sleep... alternatively you could try to just use the valium and keep the xanax for another time when you're in need...

coz according to convertion charts if i remember rightly 10mg valium=20mg temazepam, so 30mg valium=60mg temazepam

but neither xanax or valium are "hypnotics" like temazepam so they are less good for putting you to sleep

Last edited:
This may have been mentioned earlier but

1: 4mg alprazolam is equivalent to 80mg Valium.
2: The 30mg of diazepam and you've got 110mg.
3: 50mg of Temazepam is equivalent to 25mg Diazepam.

According to charts, taking 30mg of diazepam with 4mg of alprazolam would be much more potent. More than x4 times the amount. Sure, you won't experience as much of the hypnotic effects but diazepam is pretty good for relaxation and can work partially as a hypnotic.

As K'd-OUT-in-AZ has just pointed out you would be taking a relatively much larger amount of benzodiazepines than you have been with the temazepam. It is entirely possible to use diazepam (valium) and/or alprazolam (xanax) to get to sleep as you have been with temazepam, however in my experience they are less hypnotic than temazepam is.

I would suggest that you would want to use a relatively slightly larger dose of diazepam or alrazolam to induce sleep than with temazepam. I also reccomend that alrazolam is probably more suitable than diazepam as it has a considerably shorter half-life, which in many cases results in less groggyness the next day.

According to this chart .5mg of alprazolam is equal to 10mg temazepam and 5mg of diazepam is equal to 10mg temazepam. That means you would need 25mg of diazepam to equal your 50mg dose of temazepam, and 2.5mg of alprazolam to equal 50mg temazepam.

Because of the less hypnotic effects of these benzo's compared to temazepam I would suggest 3mg of alprazolam or 30-35mg of diazepam to get a similar hypnotic effect as 50mg of temazepam.

The other benzos mentioned will be sedating and cause sleepiness but will be much different than temazepam. Temazepam always knocks me out && I haven't been able to achieve that from Valium or Xanax at equivalent doses.

While they aren't as sedating as temazepam, those are pretty high doses. 4 mgs xanax and 30 of valium will definately put you to sleep. Should do it more than once, actually.

I might go for the xanax valium combo... the xanax has the knock down power and the valium is just very relaxing... Good combo for sleep until you get more of your regular meds!

Agreeing with many others here that 50 mg of temazepam is a fairly high dose of that particular benzo, but potency wise, 30 mg of Valium alone is enough to cover that amount. Take all benzo equivalency charts with a grain of salt as everyone reacts very differently to drugs (ie i was switched from 4 mg Klonopin to 30 mg of Valium and was fine, though the chart said i should have switched to 80 mg of Valium to be equivalent...cant even imagine doing much of anything on that dose). However, Xanax is very potent, and equivalency wise I'm guessing 1 or 1.5 mg of Xanax is about right. I would take the 30 mg of Valium and then 2 mg max of Xanax on separate nights. Taking 4 mg Xanax and 30mg Valium is way overkill for what your needs are.

Fletchacet

As K'd-OUT-in-AZ has just pointed out you would be taking a relatively much larger amount of benzodiazepines than you have been with the temazepam. It is entirely possible to use diazepam (valium) and/or alprazolam (xanax) to get to sleep as you have been with temazepam, however in my experience they are less hypnotic than temazepam is.

I would suggest that you would want to use a relatively slightly larger dose of diazepam or alrazolam to induce sleep than with temazepam. I also reccomend that alrazolam is probably more suitable than diazepam as it has a considerably shorter half-life, which in many cases results in less groggyness the next day.

According to this chart .5mg of alprazolam is equal to 10mg temazepam and 5mg of diazepam is equal to 10mg temazepam. That means you would need 25mg of diazepam to equal your 50mg dose of temazepam, and 2.5mg of alprazolam to equal 50mg temazepam.

Because of the less hypnotic effects of these benzo's compared to temazepam I would suggest 3mg of alprazolam or 30-35mg of diazepam to get a similar hypnotic effect as 50mg of temazepam.

The chart you provided is out of date, the majority of any other chart you check out will have some different equivalences. (Clonazepam isn't the most potent benzodiazepine!). Check out the most updated and accurate equivalence table: www.benzo.org.uk Check out the left of the screen and press "equivalence table". It was written by Professor C H Ashton. She wrote how to withdrawal from benzodiazepines and the idea of the Diazepam taper. If you need to know ANYTHING about benzos, click on that link...its benzodiazepine specific with news updated roughly every week. There are a little over 1000 pages (truth, it is provided on updates). The chart you provided was from the Clinical Handbook of Psychotropic Drugs, 4th revised edition which is out of date. While it was written 2005, the chart on Benzo.org.uk was last revised April 2007; the most updated date which is now what the majority of other equivalence tables use, so...
20mg Temazepam is equivalent to 10mg Diazepam

4mg Alprazolam is equivalent to 80mg Diazepam and you are also going to take another 30mg Diazepam. I don't understand why you are worried, hypnotics or not, mixing the two benzodiazepines at those doses will knock you out. 50mg Temazepam is not much and the other benzodiazepines are more potent. You'll get sleep.