• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Suboxone and Kratom (mixing them)

CLOUDnine420

Bluelighter
So I came across a site selling kratom and after reading about kratom, and how in low doses it stimulates you, and in high doses it's more sedating. They claim in high doses the buzz or high can be similar to that of opiates. This next part may sound a little stupid but here it goes. I am currently on Suboxone, and will be for a while; however it sounds like it could be a good experience using these two in conjunction, because of the stimulating and sedating side effects, depending on how much you use. I can't take the clonazepam which I used to be prescribed to for anxiety, and I could see the Kratom helping my anxiety, thus chilling me out, since I can't take benzo's. Also since I started the Suboxone, I seem to have developed involuntary movements or "twitches" in lots of muscles in my body whenever I start to relax. Also when I'm starting to fall asleep I keep getting that falling feeling, and wake up because of it. It’s starting to get very annoying, so that is another reason I would like to try using Kratom, because it may help to relax me better and prevent these muscle spasms.

Two main questions that come to mind about combining using Kratom and Suboxone together is that respiratory depression is something you have to be careful of when using Suboxone, and in order to stay on the Suboxone I need to be able pass drug tests, in order to get my script filled out for more than just one week at a time. Also I can’t keep having dirty UA’s (Urine Analysis), and I don’t know if Kratom would show up in any of the categories they screen for in the UA.

Next if none of the above questions would cause any problems then the other thing that makes me think it may not work is because the Suboxone binds to the mU receptors, kicking away other substances that try to attach. The problem with using these two together is that the Kratom also binds to the mU receptors, which causes me to be concerned because although it is not an opiate/oid would it possible cause me to go into withdrawal or just not feel any of the effects of the Kratom if the Suboxone is already attached?

Anyways I may add more to this in awhile this is just kind of an introductory to this idea, it’s been rattling my brain on whether or not I could try this or if I would be completely pointless, or dangerous in some way. Hopefully this can become an advanced topic; I’m trying to use a lot of detail, although I know I’m not using a lot of scientific terms. So I had to try, anyone with interest in this let me know your opinions, and if anyone comes across this who has tried it let me know your results PLEASE.

THANKS A LOT!
To all who have input on this I appreciate it a lot, in advance.

I hope this can become a good discussion, I’ll keep on researching, and if anyone else wants to and put down some knowledge that would be awesome.

Peace – Much Love

Last edited:
i think that suboxone would act as an antagonist in the presence of kratom, just like with any other full agonist. im not sure though.

as far as i know, kratom does not cause any respiratory depression ( this makes me wonder about exactly how it works as a full agonist though, or if it even is).
i am curious to see what some of the more knowledgeable members have to say about this. i have wondered for some time about the lack of respiratory depression in kratom.

i expect that it will not cause any precipitated withdraws because it is well known to mitigate withdraws.

a warning: i have heard and read that kratom addiction can be absolutely horrid in its own way. not comparing it to H withdrawal or anything, but be careful.

i think that suboxone would act as an antagonist in the presence of kratom, just like with any other full agonist. im not sure though.

as far as i know, kratom does not cause any respiratory depression ( this makes me wonder about exactly how it works as a full agonist though, or if it even is).
i am curious to see what some of the more knowledgeable members have to say about this. i have wondered for some time about the lack of respiratory depression in kratom.

i expect that it will not cause any precipitated withdraws because it is well known to mitigate withdraws.

a warning: i have heard and read that kratom addiction can be absolutely horrid in its own way. not comparing it to H withdrawal or anything, but be careful.

Thanks for the reply; I hope a lot more people come across this and find it interesting. =D

I have heard that withdrawl can happen with kratom, but up until I read your post I hadn't heard anything about how minor or major it is, I'll have to do some research on that. It's cool that respritory depression prolly won't come into play that was one of my main concerns. The other concern was that I'd order some of this stuff and get it and the suboxone would just block it, like you said; because of the way that it latches on to the receptors and doesn't want anything else getting in.

IDK I'm going to wait for some more feedback on what others think, and do a little more research. Otherwise if I don't get many replys why not give it a try, I'll start with a small amount of the kratom, and then work up depending on the side effects and what not.

CLOUDnine420 combining those two, the respiratory depression is not the main concern, it is the idea that you will mix such powerful substances together. why not do either of them with alcohol ? still not good idea but they work in more harmless way and its n00b experimentation rather trying to go as far as possible.

K i don't think I'll try doing this at all, it was just a curiosity question more than a "I'm going to do this". I just wondered if it could possibly give a good buzz or if it would have an adverse effect. Thanks for the info though.

im using kratom atleast for 3-4 year.. kratom, can cure heroine and any morphine based drug withdrawal...but when u use it everyday,3-4 time a day until 2-3month..that kratom have same effect as heroin dopesick withdraw simptom..very similar..nothing different..

kratom will not cause you to piss dirty

and also you are not going to feel shit because of the buprenorphine

^ As mentioned above, the sub will block all of Kratom's opioid effects.

Also, Kratom's stimulating effect is primarily adrenergic. This means that if you have anxiety, Kratom will make it worse.

I think it's the naloxone that would block the effect, not the buprenorphine.

False. The naloxone has a half life of approx. one hour. It's only in there to keep you from shooting it. The bupe blocks opiates for 24-36 hours due to it's long half life and very high affinity for u-opiod receptors.