• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Physical signs of Hiv/AIDS?

Twicegone

Bluelighter
I recently had unprotected intercourse with a stripper...someone told me she has HIV but I'm not comfortable asking her about it.

What are my options? Is there free HIV testing?

What are some physical skin conditions of AIDS?

She has a scratch on her face and has no idea how it got there.....is that a possible sign?

Wait three months and get a blood test. In the meantime man up and ask if she has ever suffered from an STD.

Don't rely on hearsay, and try to avoid having bareback sex with hookers in future.

An unexplained scratch is just that.

There are not outward signs by which you can know someone's hiv status or any reliable way to know if you have been infected, except a test. In most urban areas you will find someplace that conducts free or low cost hiv tests. Jude101's suggestion to wait three months is sensible because it can take that long to develop the antibodies the test's detect.

If you are in the US this website will help you find a testing place. > http://www.hivtest.org/

Get tested straight away - she may have other diseases that if caught quickly can be treated. Then do the follow up test in three months for HIV.

Also dont have unprotected sex with anyone else until you have been tested!

I recently had unprotected intercourse with a stripper...someone told me she has HIV but I'm not comfortable asking her about it.

What are my options? Is there free HIV testing?

What are some physical skin conditions of AIDS?

She has a scratch on her face and has no idea how it got there.....is that a possible sign?

http://hivinsite.ucsf.edu/hiv?page=basics-00-02

A scratch or wound on the face is not a symptom of HIV or AIDS.

Yes there are free HIV tests at clinics and planned parenthood.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hiv-aids/DS00005/DSECTION=symptoms

mayo clinic site said:
Symptoms
By Mayo Clinic staff

The symptoms of HIV and AIDS vary, depending on the phase of infection.

Early infection
When first infected with HIV, you may have no signs or symptoms at all, although it's more common to develop a brief flu-like illness two to four weeks after becoming infected. Signs and symptoms may include:

* Fever
* Headache
* Sore throat
* Swollen lymph glands
* Rash

Even if you don't have symptoms, you're still able to transmit the virus to others. Once the virus enters your body, your own immune system also comes under attack. The virus multiplies in your lymph nodes and slowly begins to destroy your helper T cells (CD4 lymphocytes) — the white blood cells that coordinate your entire immune system.

Later infection
You may remain symptom-free for eight or nine years or more. But as the virus continues to multiply and destroy immune cells, you may develop mild infections or chronic symptoms such as:

* Swollen lymph nodes — often one of the first signs of HIV infection
* Diarrhea
* Weight loss
* Fever
* Cough and shortness of breath

Latest phase of infection
During the last phase of HIV — which occurs approximately 10 or more years after the initial infection — more serious symptoms may begin to appear, and the infection may then meet the official definition of AIDS. In 1993, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) redefined AIDS to mean the presence of HIV infection as shown by a positive HIV-antibody test plus at least one of the following:

* The development of an opportunistic infection — an infection that occurs when your immune system is impaired — such as Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia (PCP)
* A CD4 lymphocyte count of 200 or less — a normal count ranges from 800 to 1,200

By the time AIDS develops, your immune system has been severely damaged, making you susceptible to opportunistic infections. The signs and symptoms of some of these infections may include:

* Soaking night sweats
* Shaking chills or fever higher than 100 F (38 C) for several weeks
* Dry cough and shortness of breath
* Chronic diarrhea
* Persistent white spots or unusual lesions on your tongue or in your mouth
* Headaches
* Blurred and distorted vision
* Weight loss

You may also begin to experience signs and symptoms of later stage HIV infection itself, such as:

* Persistent, unexplained fatigue
* Soaking night sweats
* Shaking chills or fever higher than 100 F (38 C) for several weeks
* Swelling of lymph nodes for more than three months
* Chronic diarrhea
* Persistent headaches

If you're infected with HIV, you're also more likely to develop certain cancers, especially Kaposi's sarcoma, cervical cancer and lymphoma, although improved treatments have reduced the risk of these illnesses.

I have friends that are poz and they told me when they were first infected they got what they thought was the worst flu ever but then it suddenly went away very fast like within a day or two. Or the one guy's partner got an weird body rash all over most of his body, not like dermatitis but this also went away very fast.

Last edited:
GET TESTED, and don't have any more sex until you are cleared. Wear a condom next time!

^It can take up to three months after exposure for antibodies to be at detectable levels. You can get tested at anytime but you won't know you are actually negative until you are test negative 3 months after any high risk behavior where you could have contracted the virus.

Just a heads up - if you're nervous about having to wait several weeks after a test to be notified of the result (as was my case when I had unprotected sex), you might be happy to know that now there is the option of an immediate-result test.

Also, and I haven't checked the validity of this claim, a counselor (who administered the above-mentioned test to me) said that there is no need to wait 3 months, that 2 weeks is often sufficient and check back in 3 months.

One more thing: where possible, try to find an anonymous clinic. If in the unfortunate event you test positive, this information can (and will?) be shared with the government.

Damn that is rank.... bareback with a stripper - you gotta think man, how many other guys has she let blow a load up in her punanny.

I hope you arent positive. Its only a 2% chance of contract AIDS/HIV if they have had it for longer than a year(which if a sex worker did have HIV, they probably have had it longer than a year, chances are).

Odds are in your favor, but definitely get tested!

Thank you! Also, why is it I need to wait three months?
There is a window period. It actually can take up to 6 months to be able to detect HIV antibodies in the ELISA (saliva) test. Also western blot (HIV TEST) can take 6 months to show up.

Is it true that the chances of a male contracting HIV from a female is much lower than a female contracting it from a male?

http://aids.about.com/od/safersexquestions/f/vagsex.htm
Through vaginal sex the male is at less risk for HIV transmission than is the female. However, HIV can enter the body of the male through his urethra (the opening at the tip of the penis) or through small cuts or open sores on the penis, making infection with HIV possible. The risk of HIV infection increases if you or your partner has a sexually transmitted disease (STD).

Yes, there is such a thing as a free AIDS test but at this point, I would say your best bet is to immediately go to a doctor. That's what I would do at this point. The thing with the scratch though has nothing to do with AIDS I don't think though. I get scratches and stuff all the time, that was probably is just a result of being drunk or something. Not to scare you more, but having unprotected sex with a stripper is a really good way of getting AIDS though, I there are a lot of strippers that have it though, not just this one

I am sure there is a medical injection that can taken that will block the HIV virus from taking affect if you have been recently exposed to someone who is positive. See a Doctor as soon as possible and explain your situation.