Find Reports
    Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

DMT - First time - Bad Trip

Thanks for a really well written trip.. there's a lot i can relate to in there

I've had a similar thing happen when smoking several doses of DMT in a row, or using DMT too much. I know that any amount of the other crap in mimosa extracts ruin the trip like that.. feeling underwater and everything looks really awful. I never could 100% figure it out though whether it was totally because of the jungle alkaloids or just DMT itself acting really weird occasionally.

Its possible that the DMT had a little of the jungle alkaloids in it (there is other stuff in mimosa extractions that sometimes comes out), but the DMT overpowers it at first until you smoke it many times in a row not leaving at least a day in-between.. and since you have a tolerance to the DMT the jungle stuff takes over... i've had this happen to me.

An excellent report and great thread, the above post interests me as I didn't think you could build tolerance to DMT?

if you have a mental disorder like bipolar or severe anxiety. Or maybe u are a good kid mixed up with some druggies. That's god telling you that drugs aren't your path in life.you were meant for something different. He showed you hell. Did you like it? Didn't sound fun to me. quit while you are ahead before you give yourself a permanent psychosis. I had the exact same trip. They won't be fun after that one.

Totally agree. I've been there and it's like your stuck in time and you will never be normal again. Self conscious people shouldn't take it.

The third experience you faced sounds exactly like sleep paralysis not a DMT trip. What probably happened was your soul was about to leave your body to go on the breakthrough this usually makes u hear vibrations and see images and because you paniced and opened your eyes from that scary image you stopped your soul from leaving your body and thus got stuck in sleep paralysis. God bless and goodluck, DMT is not supposed to do that type of scary thing to you it is not a trip like shrooms or acid it is a breakthrough to a different dimension.

I signed up just to chime in that I've had a few similar bad trips just like this, where fear and despair took over and were unbearable. Twice it has happened out of ~30 times using DMT in total. Both times it was because I took huge rips after adding "a little extra" , in a setting where I couldn't clearly see how big of a hit I was getting. Turning all lights off completely before laying down was also probably not the best idea. I remember feeling like the darkness was tied in with the fear somehow. There was an intense fear of going insane and being so disconnected from myself, trapped forever in that hell. Looking back, it's difficult to make sense of such extreme negative feelings. It's kind of scary to know that it's even possible to feel that terrified. Had to take a break after each bad trip but I eventually eased back into it. I wouldn't wish a trip like that on anyone. If I had taken a 2nd or 3rd hit either of those times , YIKES... On a brighter note , I've had way more amazing positive experiences than negative ones.

Powerful mindful meditation for a couple hours prior to trip is a must for me with DMT. As well as days of mental preparartion beforehand, I always "listen" to whether it's "calling" me or not, if that makes sense... It makes HUGE difference in trip quality, I actually get quite euphoric and super high but at the same time I've learned to stay "protected" - I use mantras, amulets and scents, I actually think about issues that I want to resolve in me or the information I want to obtain before going in. I dont do it with strangers, preferably solo or with the closest friends. Outside is fine as long as there are no social and noise distractions. Being next to water and hearing it flow seems to enhance effects of DMT positively for me.

Also, some other psychedelics seems to lift the fear completely, so I can smoke DMT without proper preparation and these are LSD and 4-HO-EPT for me so far, of course you need to make sure you want to handle all that together before going in ;)

Check out the book Psychedelic Experience by Leary, Metzner and Alpert - they are explaining in details how to deal with strong come ups. I highly recommend it - http://psychedelicfrontier.com/free-book-psychedelic-experience-timothy-leary/

I love DMT! %)