View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Strange blackout on 4-aco-dmt

rpm

Bluelighter
Hi guys. The other day I took 20mg of 4-aco-dmt and was having a find time untill I smoked a fat joint and got up to leave where I was. All of a sudden my vision started going red and I felt faint. Next thing I know I'm on the floor and my friend is slapping me. Felt fine, if a bit confused for about 5 minutes. Then got the tube home during rushour and the same thing happened, my vision went red and I couldn't see the door out of the tube. Eventually managed to get out and sit down for a bit and things went back to normal.

The weird thing is this was towards the tail end of the trip. When I got home I sat down on the couch and fell asleep for about 5 hours.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had this kind of effect, and if I should be worried? Other than that it was a great trip.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redout

i could find this looking for the symptoms you described, but it's hard to tell what really happened. a redout is described as something rather dangerous, but i don't think fat joints or tube cars subject you to a lot of negative g's ;)

did you feel any throbbing sensations in your head, do you remember if your head felt heavy, as if it were under pressure?

somewhat related, after drinking tea of ~ 1 g of dried mushroom, i felt just super fine and giggly. decided to smoke a joint, lying down on the roof of my building. all of a sudden, the pre-dusk sky started to pulsate on and off, i started to black out, feeling faint like you describe. i got the hell off the roof, and spent the next three hours puking my guts out, feeling as bad as i've ever felt

might be the nicotine that set you off? are you a regular smoker? anyway, be safe man!

Shit that scares me. I don't remember my head throbing. But I suppose it is possible that the nicotine compined with the chemical soup in my head caused a massive rush of blood to the head.

Wonder what I should do about it. Am intending to trip again this weekend. Don't want no stroke!

Shit that scares me. I don't remember my head throbing. But I suppose it is possible that the nicotine compined with the chemical soup in my head caused a massive rush of blood to the head.

Wonder what I should do about it. Am intending to trip again this weekend. Don't want no stroke!

You, and we all, are pretty much in uncharted territory here. I think you will be fine however, you might want to take it easy during your next trip just to be sure. Also, i am inclined to psychological ramblings, maybe your body/mind is telling you to ease up a bit. Are you tripping a lot these days, or are you under a lot of stress? The following points should make your trip safe and enjoyable (i'd hate to be stating obvious facts, but my gut feeling is that there is nothing fundamentally wrong with you. now if you notice this happening more often, you might want to quit tripping for a while)

- do not combine drugs, even lots of alcohol or nicotine. usually 1+1=3, also when it comes to side effects. do not mix in stimulants or MAOIs!
- drink enough (~ a glass of water per hour)
- make sure you are well rested
- make sure you can sit/lie down in a quiet environment if you start to feel tired. do not over-excert yourself
- go for a somewhat lower dose for your first upcoming trip, to test the waters

happy trippings!

Did it happen both times upon standing up after having sat for a while? It sounds to me a bit like hypotension issue. I get this sometimes after smoking, especially recently with jwh-018 and similar chemicals, but it happens pretty much with any cannabinoid.

I've read that in animals, cannabinoids typically are associated with "vasodilation, transient bradycardia and hypotension, as well as an inhibition of atherosclerosis (hardening of the arteries) progression. The administration of synthetic cannabinoids have also been shown to lower blood pressure in animals and have not been associated with cardiotoxicity in humans." It could be your blood pressure dropped after smoking the joint and if you had somewhat low pressure to begin with, either naturally, or as a result of something you took elsewise.

I'm no doctor, just trying to use google to find stuff out here for you to look up yourself further...

sounds similar to what happened to this guy
Shroom Blackout

its not entirely uncommon to pass out while tripping.

and as catfish mentioned, standing up to quick may have been the culprit.

There's a good chance it was to do with standing up too quickly. That's usually referred to as a "greyout", because for most people your vision goes grey, however I personally get them quite often and they're red - albeit a lot like static rather than a solid red colour, also my hearing tends to become quite strange for a moment during it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greyout_(medical)

If it's this then you shouldn't have anything to worry about, just be more careful when standing up in future, most psychedelics are vasoconstrictors so this kind of thing can happen a little easier than when sober.

There's a good chance it was to do with standing up too quickly. That's usually referred to as a "greyout", because for most people your vision goes grey, however I personally get them quite often and they're red - albeit a lot like static rather than a solid red colour, also my hearing tends to become quite strange for a moment during it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greyout_(medical)

If it's this then you shouldn't have anything to worry about, just be more careful when standing up in future, most psychedelics are vasoconstrictors so this kind of thing can happen a little easier than when sober.

Thanks for all the replies guys. What Jesusgreen described about red static is spot on, and I couldn't really hear.

As to taking it safe. This is the first time I've tripped in months and I'm quite experienced, so I do know my limits (and they usualy extend way beyond a joint and some 4aco). But thanks for the advice.

It was a hot day and I had been walking and traveling a lot, as well as sitting in the sun, I don't think that can have helped. I also think my blood sugar might have been a bit low as I had the most intense craving for a soft drink.

Any how, hope it doesn't happen again, it kinda killed a good trip.

Something nearly identical happened to me once while on mushrooms, right after I smoked a bowl. My vision didn't turn red, but it was more of a blackening (kinda like on ketamine) as soon as I stood up and the blood rushed out of my head. And then I fainted for a couple of minutes.

I'm inclined to think that it's a blood pressure issue, since I have low blood pressure to begin with and cannabis sometimes exacerbates it.

I just took 20mg of 4-aco-dmt yesterday and the same thing happened to me. I was sitting down eating ice cream at a water park and I almost fainted. Good thing I wasn't in the water. I started feeling sick, my vision went purple, and my ears started pounding. This happened for a few minutes at the end of my trip as well. I hadn't mixed any other drugs with it and after I got home I fell asleep for about 10 hours.

This happened to me when I took mushrooms and smoked pot, and then stood up too quickly. I didn't quite pass out, but I felt like I was going to, and so I laid down on the ground. It took a few minutes to pass. I assumed it was because something about that combination caused my blood pressure to bottom out.