• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc California Poppy Alkaloids

Pothedd

Bluelighter
The California poppy contains some psychoactive alkaloids. There is plenty of information on the net involving the HWE, and CWE, of the alkaloids present in the opium poppy pods and seeds, but there is no such information in regards to the California poppy.
So I'm trying to find out how one might go about this extraction process? Should a tea be made and drunk, like its cousin, or should a tincture be made with ethyl alcohol and smoked with other herbs?

I think an extract to be smoked is the best method, it is very different to opium poppies though. It will be a mildly sedating experience probably.

Noted. I'm not expecting much, but hey, it's a free flower, lol.

I have a bottle of extract right next to me. Id say it does nothing but im also withdrawing from benzos so it may just not be effecting me as positively as it would you.

california poppy (Eschscholzia californica) are the real small ones and i've always been under the impression that they did not contain the right kind of alkaloids. You are looking for papaver somniferum : opium poppy

Oh I know. They aren't even the same genus, but the CP does contain psychoactive alkaloids (not the same ones in papaver, though they share one alkaloid I believe).
They're reported as less euphoric than opium alkaloids, but still quite sedating.
Chances are I would simply coat my bowl with the extract before bed and drift away...

I never thought to make an extract for smoking... Might provide some more noticeable effects than a tea.

One time, I was bored and went out and filled a ziploc bag with CA poppies(as they grow like weeds all over CA), dried them out and made a tea. I was looking for an Opioid high, in spite of my knowledge of the lack of true poppy alkaloids. I got a very mild sedative-calming effect at best from the tea, but no perceived Opioidergic activity. This was about five years back too, when two 5/500 Vicodins had me feeling incredible.

I think that making some form of concentrate would be your best bet. California Poppy is a primary ingredient in many herbal tinctures formulated for sleep and stress relief etc, and definitely possesses some psychoactive value, however mild it may be. Good luck, and have fun.

Yea the tincture's probably the best bet.
A long time ago I too went out and picked countless "poppies" and dried them. But then I smoked them... Probably should have made tea, lol.
The plant tastes like... plant.... and it takes a lot of it to produce any effect. I don't recommend smoking random plants to anyone...