• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction Does bleach kill hep c

rural_junkie

Greenlighter
i am worried that i may have hep. i have shared needles cottons and wated with hep c infected people but the needles were always cleaned with bleach. i didnt know you could get it through water. i just got tested yesterday and am awaiting the results. what do you think my chances are of getting it. thanks

Bleach may or may not kill Hepatitis C. No one on here is going to be able to tell you your chances of being positive for Hepatitis C.

Good luck and be safe.

Wait and see. Harder to do than it sounds, of course. However, its all you can do at this point.

very interesting topic. bleach is provided in harm reduction kits from needle exchanges so i have a feeling it probably does work. also, i believe i shared a needle with someone that had hep c and i bleached it. i got tested and im negative. it seems almost too good to be true. there are so many times i shared needles, cottons, cookers, used water from sketchy fucking people- i mean homeless street people on skid row in la and such. i was 80% sure i had hep c and even worried about hiv(sharing with older folks who have been through the 80s), i still dont know how to take it. good luck man.

im a pretty smart person, but jesus, with heroin i get so sick and anxious i have to fix and will take risk i shouldnt. fucking glad to be out of that game.

Last edited:
It is unknown whether bleach will kill the hepatitis C virus.

It is ideal not to re-use used needles. The logic being that the virus is destroyed when exposed to air, but in a needle, it's basically encapsulated away from the environment and will live much longer than just chilling in a spoon, for example.

Hence, no one can tell you your odds. Sorry to tell you this, I hope you test negative, and best of luck.

i was told in rehab by a redcross nurse that hep c, unlike hiv, actually is NOT destroyed with air contact. that is why its so easily contracted and hiv is not anymore.

after i actually read your post im going to say you might be fucked. if you bleached out the rig and then shared water with someone... you basicly just defeated the whole reason for bleaching out the rig. i know when your deep in it its hard sometimes to not share ANYTHING with people.... but you should always carry your own gear.

i was told in rehab by a redcross nurse that hep c, unlike hiv, actually is NOT destroyed with air contact. that is why its so easily contracted and hiv is not anymore.

This is incorrect. It is destroyed with air contact, but it takes a considerably longer amount of time to die on its own than HIV does. Meaning, it could easily subsist for a few days on top of a spoon or in a cooker, for instance. I forget how long it takes to die but it is a long time.

It's also important to remember that you don't "kill" viruses as they are not "living" organisms by the standard definition. They have to be destroyed or denatured which can take a lot more than killing bacteria.

for sure, ^hes right.
why would you share needles, especially KNOWING they have hepatitis?

I think at this point hes not looking to be flamed, just nervous and wants any sort of scientific answer, although essentially none can be provided.

In this day and age you people are STILL sharing needles??? Have you ever heard of HIV? Well I guess when your an addict the only thing you care about is getting your fix know matter what.... also after doing a little research on Hep C I would have to say its equally as deadly as HIV

I don't IV although I know/have known people who do. Go to your local med centre, free needles/works available in a reasonable distance from you live.

Heh a bit like the family planning

Hepatitis C needs to be checked for though, cos it lies dormant symptom-wise for years. But the good news is that if caught early it can be cured

There are needle exchange programs, and of course works can be bought discreetly online...PLEASE do not take those kinds of risks....simply not worth it...no matter HOW badly you are jones-ing! Your life if precious, please be more careful.

Best of luck with your testing...hope it turns out okay!

also after doing a little research on Hep C I would have to say its equally as deadly as HIV

No it's not, maybe do a bit more research. 15 - 25% of people clear the virus naturally within 6 months of being infected.

Treatment is available and can "cure" up to 80% of cases, depending on genotype.

I dont think youll have hep C if you used bleach, the fact remains that even if you did share with someone and didnt use anything to clean it its not full proof that you would get it. bleach sounds like a good tool for sterilizing dont worry about it until the tests come through I know how it feels to worry about those type of things(even tho it was just paranoia and delusions cause im a hypocondriac) you pace and you look online for answers and it will help but it wont change the answer on the test.I would reccomend taking a break to do someting that takes your mind off it, hobbies, videogames, movies. But dont worry for some reason I dont think youll have it. But dont share needles anymore and if you are too hooked that you would give in to sharing again, then dont IV or dont hang around with people like that. Why the hell would you wanna be shootin H with someone like that is beyond me. I have a feeling it will turn out ok for you, good luck and post back what happened.

but I dont IV simply for these types of reasons even with a clean needle your veins collapse, scabs, people look at your arms(if you use there and think "oh great a junkie", and once you go to the needle its hard to stop the which arises more complications with finding veins cause you dont have any, cause once you pop you dont stop. I could go on for hours against the Cons of IV

under ideal circumstances bleach will kill all viruses. your situation was far from ideal though. i think there is a small chance that you are infected, but i sincerely hope that you are fine. at least this might scare you into adopting safer techniques.