• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Best non narcotic drug for dealing with opiate withdrawal joint pains

Fried Man

Bluelighter
So probably the depression and the aches and pains of opiate withdrawal are the two things I have a really hard time dealing with. Cramps, nausea, g/i problems, anxiety is a breeze to get through.

So as I sit here detoxing on day 5 of a 6 month long chipping binge, I want to know how everybody deals with the aches and pains, the joint pains, restless legs as in my legs are gonna fly off driving me crazy pain.

So for me, I have used every otc US painkiller available: ibuprofen, apap, naproxen, aspirin, THESE NEVER EVER WORK! I don't know why I took 3 tylenol this morning, placebo?

I've tried loading up on minerals like calcium and magnesium, but they never work.

not even benzos could cure my restless joints, klonopin, xanax, valium

The only thing that helped me feel %90 percent better was lyrica. A low dose of it really made me feel normal. Too bad its an rx.

Whether it is OTC or an RX, or an illegal drug, I wanna hear how you deal with the pain of opiate withdrawal?

I can tell you what worked for me and I am an older man so I have aches and pains more then you young ones. The first time I went through WD I too had bad joint pain. About a month before I was going to go through another WD a friend told me to start taking Glucosamine Chondroitin-MSM. Brand name I used was Osteo Bi-Flex. Bought in a supermarket. Little high priced. It takes about a week to get in your system but it really worked for my joint pain. When I came off the opiates I did not have any trouble with joint pain. I use it all the time now. The first week I took 2 a day but after that its been 1 a day. Alot of Arthritis patients take it. Its not FDA approved but thats something a drug user really could give a shit about. Good Luck!!

Great idea w/the Chondroitin -- my dog responded very well to it, so I know it can't be all placebo.

As you stated, the only two drugs that really worked for me were Gabapentin and Pregabalin.

What helped more than anything was Hot Yoga (Bikram). My body temp is usually all over the place during withdrawal anyways, so sitting in a 110 degree room sweating actually feels great. I catch a great buzz from the workout that lasts about an hour after... but the linger effects help my legs, joints, muscles, anxiety all day long. I had never done yoga before and went in my 2nd week of withdrawal. Highly reccomended. *Bonus, the chicks dress in pretty much nothing, get over the top sweaty and contort themselves in every which way...not to mention most are hotter than hell and fit. Nice eye candy to soothe the mind during this hellish time.

G'luck to you mate.

I was using 400 mg OTC ibuprofen for pain but also I think the clonidine patch dr put me on helped with issues too.

Since you are in withdrawal, and looking at possibly procuring some type of supplements, what would you think of trying megadose Vitamin C (somehwere above 60grams of the stuff i think).

I in no way know if it will work, however i have been wanting to try it out next time i am in a withdrawal pinch.

If you search youtube, or google for Vitamin C and heroin withdrawal you will find some info on a Doctor that says it is an undiscovered cure that is being held back because it would put the whole addiction medicine industry out of business.

I just want to see if it is a load of Bullshit or not - and i am already pretty sceptical.

Dextromethorphan and Tylenol

I have gone through the WD process a few times, as i am a college student who found oxy to be helpful in calming the side effects of amphetamines (adderall, vyvanse, etc..) when i go home for breaks i find myself craving and have even gotten to the point of withdrawal a few times.
one thing that helped quell the stomach pains and uneasiness was dextromethorphan, a common ingredient in most OTC cough syrups. The DXM as it as known, is derived from thebaine and has opiate properties, but it doesn't have the narcotic properties. it does help, but the NSAIDS help as well.

Slightly above thearaputic dose of dxm, naproxen or aspirin, loperamide, GABA, multivitamins, valerian, and chondroitin are my go to OTC withdrawal cures.

Ghb helps a lot if you can get it.

I bit my teeth and got through it :/ I was recovering from surgery when I decided to kick, so I was in a bit of post surgical pain but I hear you with the joint pain. Every morning was like waking up to a freshly broken set of knees and elbows.

Lyrica helped a good bit, and so did Gabapentin. At night ambien would probably quell a good bit of the restlessness, but you probably know by now, sometimes you just can't sleep when in W/Ds. All three of these were medications my docs had no issues with me taking while going cold-turkey off dope, and a few of 'em were hardasses. The obvious and easiest answer is suboxone.

Talking illegal drug use, cannabis + valium took an edge off, but I'd have to be smoking a pretty solid amount to get my mind off it. I can't remember exactly when the joint pain went away, but that was a glorious morning. If I had to guess, I'd say I was in pretty heavy physical w/ds for 7-8 days and then mild physical w/ds for another week, eventually the joint pain went away in 3. Ironic, because I *first* got into opiates because of joint pain - go figure.

toradol (no not a typo, not tramadol the quasi opioid) toradol is a NSAID like ibuprofen and when i was in methadone w/d's before i gave up and went on bupe i went to the ER for the knee (joint) pain and they gave me toradol and it worked amazingly, but im sure ibuprofen will work just as well.

also.. clonidine, baclofen, and vistaril

oh and toradol is way better than ibuprofen it's the best NSAID i've ever tried

A lot of people here have already hit most of the good point. (Glutamine, glucosamine), ((Vitamin B complex, Zinc and Magnesium)) and Ibuprofen.
(these will help a lot with the joint issues themselves, as these are active chemicals in helping rebuild and repair)
((These are some natural supplements that will aid you greatly in recovery, basically adding fuel for your body to help you recover your natural healing ability more quickly.))
And the Ibuprofen - used as an anti inflammatory and pain reliever. This set up I would think is probably the best you can get without turning to narcotics / steroids.

I've heard that clonodine can help with this. I take it for anxiety and sleep and like it for those things.

Toradol is the king of the NSAID's more or less. I'd recommend it for a withdrawal toolkit for aches and pains, over Ibuprofen or any other NSAID for that matter.

Quinine is sometimes used for RLS (can be bought OTC as its herbal version; Legatrin used to contain pharmaceutical Quinine which the FDA quashed, but having the Cinchona extract with other herbs makes it a supplement, not a drug, yadda yadda so there is at least one OTC remedy containing Quinine in this form).

FDA Orders Unapproved Quinine Drugs from the Market and Cautions Consumers About "Off-Label" Use of Quinine to Treat Leg Cramps

http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/2006/ucm108799.htm

I can't confirm whether it works for RLS related to opioid withdrawal syndrome though, or if the risks are worth it vs a more traditional RLS treatment.

I find Naproxen Sodium (Aleve), Methocarbamol (Robaxin), magnesium citrate, and a potassium supplement, all very helpful non-narcotics for leg cramps, joint pains, and RLS. My preferred benzodiazepine for opaite withdrawals is a recreational or therapeautic dosage of Diazepam (Valium), the strong musce relaxant qualities of diazepam are life-saving during opiate withdrawals and it's very anxiolytic and a euphoriant imo. Clonazepam (Klonopin) would be my runner up, anti-convulsant properties get rid of the shakes and also has prominent muscle-relaxaing and anxiolytic properties. Both last a very long time with very very long half-lives, require infrequent redosing unlike Alprazolam. I've yet to try lyrica or gabapentin, but I'd like to get my hands on some especially lyrica.

When it comes down to it though, Buprenorphine is my all time favorite drug for opioid withdrawals (1mg-2mg, combined with diazepam) and I enjoy higher doses (4mg-6mg) for recreational purposes. Find it very uplifting and euphoric.

gabapentin and lyrica are great and are relatively common. If you are willing to try herbal treatments, check out cat's claw. I've been using it daily for two years now. I have a gel with it that I rub on my swollen areas and it works immeditately. It's also an anti-microbial and strengthens the immune system. It is an adaptogen.

I find Naproxen Sodium (Aleve), Methocarbamol (Robaxin), magnesium citrate, and a potassium supplement, all very helpful non-narcotics for leg cramps, joint pains, and RLS. My preferred benzodiazepine for opaite withdrawals is a recreational or therapeautic dosage of Diazepam (Valium), the strong musce relaxant qualities of diazepam are life-saving during opiate withdrawals and it's very anxiolytic and a euphoriant imo. Clonazepam (Klonopin) would be my runner up, anti-convulsant properties get rid of the shakes and also has prominent muscle-relaxaing and anxiolytic properties. Both last a very long time with very very long half-lives, require infrequent redosing unlike Alprazolam. I've yet to try lyrica or gabapentin, but I'd like to get my hands on some especially lyrica.

When it comes down to it though, Buprenorphine is my all time favorite drug for opioid withdrawals (1mg-2mg, combined with diazepam) and I enjoy higher doses (4mg-6mg) for recreational purposes. Find it very uplifting and euphoric.

Have you ever considered Kratom? It is a legal 'herb' (plant matter) that contains many opioid alkalkoids that is legal to posess and buy. Many reputable online vendors stock it. I can't list sources but there are forums dedicated to it as well. Won't get you hammered per se, but all but eliminates the withdrawal symptoms.

Also, Soma is fantastic for muscle aches/pains during withdrawal. A therapeutic dose of soma + a long acting benzo would be a good bet too, though you have to watch out for the addictive potential of benzos and soma.