• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Question from the US about poppy in Tasmania.

DavisK4high247

Bluelighter
Hello i'm from the US and I have read that in Tasmania that it is legal to grow opium poppys there.Is it legal for those who pay a license fee and grow poppys for a phamacuetical company or can anyone grow opium poppys there? Any help would be appreciated.Thank You

No it's not legal unless you are a poppy farmer. I imagine it's heavily regulated and if I remember correctly they grow mainly high thebaine content poppies there.

Ok I see I was told my some Australians that people grew them for a company and you had to have alicense, but the tasmanian poppy I have read in a book on opium poppys and the like that the tasmanian opium poppy has a higher alkaloid content than most any other poppy,at like 20% opiate alkaloids compared to the 10-15% standard in India,however thebaine is an alkaloid of opium tho so that might explain the high opiate alkaloid content.
Thanks for your help

They can't all be the high thebaine plants though, since they don't use the thebaine seeds for food, and the seeds you buy in the supermarket are grown domestically iirc.

But yeah, I don't think there's much opportunity for fun there.

^ I am pretty sure the thebaine seeds do get used for food purposes. If you look up the old poppy seed threads you will see some users reporting some side-effects that were consistent with a dose of thebaine if I remember correctly.

I had the same thought, but even normal pods have some thebaine...

Meh, who cares anyway :p Seed tea is useless these days unless you're getting it somewhere special, all the supermarket shit is treated to remove the fun stuff.

The poppys are fine. They contain morphine
The days of (before opiates even crossed my mind) of ripping off a bunch of plants 5 metres away from the road near a crappy barbh wire fence and getting a stick from the dealer for the night!

Security could be a lot tighter down in the Tasmanian poppy fields. The fact that so many thousands of people get caught trespassing every year, proves that A lot of people illegally use these crops.

All of the opium that I used to smoke in the early 00's was apparently from Tasmania and I have seen, but not used, home extracted morphine also courtesy of these crops over the years. From looking over the TEK, the poppy alkaloid extraction is not overly hard.

With a little bit of chemistry knowledge and the right chemicals, it would not be difficult to get from morphine to heroin.

I'm surprised the fences aren't 10ft high in our nanny country of prohibition...

If they were in any state other than Tassie I don't doubt they would be, but well, tassie...

i'd imagine its in the middle of no where.

besides, cultivating poppies is easier then growing weeds in your lawn.

and its not illegal i believe to grow poppies for the display purpose, just illegal to extract the opiates from them

^No its very much illegal to grow papaver somniferum for any purpose.

If this were the case it'd be legal to grow canabis for ornamental purposes too.

Interesting relpys, It is legal to grow opium poppys in the United States for "ornamental purpose" however they do not sell opium containing poppys at the local nursery,seed/flower shops,but one can obtain opium poppys from online seed catalogs,although I do not know anyone who has done this.I always thought that opium poppys required a certain type of climate to grow..although this is a guess.If they will grow in the temperate regions of the United States I would think more people would grow them ,however considering the low yield weight wise from each poppy pod/bulb it takes a lotta poppys to get even 20 grams or so of opium of good refined (cooked opium) quality..Wonder about hydroponic poppys..if there was a way to cross a high weight yield poppy with a high opium alkaloid poppy and grow them in a hydroponic set up, and maybe get the poppys to yield faster that might be a nice thing...

i'd imagine its in the middle of no where.

The poppy fields are everywhere in northern tassie, they are beautiful when in flower, very easy to get to the crops, however I am told that the crops are guarded by security unit.
I have always thought if you were keen you could help yourself.

A couple of trivial notes the main poppy processing plant in tassie gives a car to the top performing farmer every year (a Merc)
90% of poppy seeds in Australia come from Tassie

Some flower shiops in queensland still sell dried pod floower arrangements for a looooot of money

Just remember that there are three types of poppy grown in Tasmania, norman, tasman, morphine.

Security can't be that good if Roos have been getting in there, eating the poppys and bounceing around making crop circles

Poppy Task Force

Trespassing on poppy fields and the possession of poppies or poppy products without authorisation is illegal, with substantial penalties for offenders. Each growing season, between November and March, six general duties officers join six detectives from Drug Investigation Services to form the Poppy Task Force, which provides education, prevention and investigation services.

So they seem to take security seriously. Also I've heard they rotate the thebaine & morphine poppy fields, so you can never know what you're going to find at a particular farm.

As far as I know without googling, opiate poppies are illegal to grow and possess in every state of Australia, but obviously you'll see opium poppy's growing in many people's gardens. There's iikely no enforcement, unless you're growing suspicious quantities or a drug squad was raiding you anyway and noticed the poppies.

Tasmanian food industry opium seeds are acid washed, so prob wouldn't matter if they were opium or thebaine poppys. The amount of poppy seeds you could eat would not hurt you or get you high.

I've heard a few reports on australian ethnobotany of the law looking the other way to ornamental papaver somniferum in certain situations... an old lady perhaps.... could be my grandmother who used to grow em back in the old country ; )

but still, Illegal. I had a dream that I'd worked hard and saved up to buy some land in gippsland, living a secluded life in the nice climate there.... to bad land value wasn't what it was 10 yeas ago. Reminds me of a favourite song and EP ' In a beautiful place out in the country'

Bobbydarren, I also read that they have a more efficient way of washing the poppies, not that i ever had a good experience with all sorts of poppies bought from various obscure delicatessens

Just remember that there are three types of poppy grown in Tasmania, norman, tasman, morphine.

That's correct. The company Tasmanian Alkaloids produces codeine and synthetics, the latter which also forms the majority of their research. I'm pretty sure Thebaine rich poppies form a major part of overall poppy production.

Check out the Poppy Growers Bulletin
Tasmanian Alkaloids is well placed as the largest exporter of Thebaine in the world.