EMD PsyTrance Discussion ver. Carn mates, get your doof on!

Long time trance party organiser and psychedelic warrior/nutter. Check this out, pretty full on but very psychedelic and I like stuff with lots of attitude.

at another end of the spectrum, think this is great too. Bouncy, quirky, mischievous and positive!

^I'm liking the psytrance that's coming out these days. seems like full on producers are dabbling into the more psychedelic side.

a little older but good:

Parasect - Tabasco On My Babe

I love this. Dark glitchy morning psy trance. Every track on the ep is gold. And the best thing is: Free download.

Long time trance party organiser and psychedelic warrior/nutter.

Are you UK based? I think a couple of my mates might know Chris Rich.

Last edited:
^ what do you think makes morning trance 'morning' trance?

i would love to hear that track in the middle of the night :)

alasdair

^ what do you think makes morning trance 'morning' trance?

i would love to hear that track in the middle of the night :)

alasdair

Ha, I had a feeling somebody might call me out on that. To be fair I was initially meant to post the following track, but changed my mind after listening to the one you listened to (it's the same EP I linked to):
Parasect - I don't Like Summer

Anyway, I think that the general idea of morning psy trance, well my take on it anyway which is slightly idealised, but generally it is this: that you're in the forest at night off in the deep end on psychedelics. The music is dark, the night is dark, you're getting all introspective, maybe forgetting yourself; it's hard work but it's good. The music and the night time possess a somewhat alien theme.

Then, things start to lighten in both your environment and your mind and the sun starts coming up. Maybe a bit of MDMA and a candyflip. The sun starts to shine through the trees and you're starting to remember exactly who you always were. The music changes, the vibe changes. Things become more trancey and melodic; less alien and psychedelic. The dance floor becomes happy and alive. This is where the term morning psy trance originally comes from. It's the mood changer at 6am (or whenever in the morning).

I'd also love to hear that track in the middle of the night, but I'd equally like to hear it in the morning when the sun was up; hence saying 'Dark glitchy morning psy trance'. I meant that it has elements of both dark and morning trance (especially the EP in its entirety, and in particular the above track). It is 147-150bpm and it has dark FM saw leads, but at the same time it isn't lose your mind ridiculously modulated alien music that sounds like its melting out the speakers. It has a very rounded bass typical of morning trance. It has gated/indian vocals. Little (glitchy) melodic notes in sections. It's funky, fun, happy vibes. Tis dark and morning; dark glitchy morning psy trance.

Listen from 3.29 on the track I just posted. If I ever play a morning set, I will 100% drop some tracks from this EP because I love them so much, and I know they'd do damage.

By the way there is a lot of ridiculously cheesy morning trance out there which I think is terrible; very cheesy, even more so than a lot of cheesy euro-trance, but I've personally never heard it out at a party. But good quality stuff exists.

I'm interested to know; were you aware of the term 'morning trance', and did/do you already have an ideology regarding what it is/isn't? I'm unsure if it's a term really used in the USA.

If so, what do you consider to be morning trance? :)

Electrynose - Sunny Heart

^Dark psy producer electrypnose's morning trance.

Protonica - Upstream (Sonic Species Mix)

Only 138bpm but pretty much epitomises morning trance for me. Listen to that key note change in the acid line at 5.59.

Solar Fields - February

And another favourite, from downtempo producer Solar Fields.

Hypnocoustics - Auratoria

^The drop at 4.05 <3. Heard these play after a night of quality acid and dark psy trance at the liquid stage in the middle of the forest at Glade 2012.

They played all of their new tunes except this and I think I somehow accidentally didn't take my ecstasy. Other than that the experience pretty much exactly fits my description of morning psy. =D

Solar Fields - February

Was listening to some Solar Fields last night. This track 'Patterns' I heard a while ago but didn't know the name or artist and couldn't find it. Just re-stumbled upon it by chance.

.. and this, very chill.

I'm interested to know; were you aware of the term 'morning trance', and did/do you already have an ideology regarding what it is/isn't? I'm unsure if it's a term really used in the USA.

If so, what do you consider to be morning trance? :)
i was aware of the term - i have heard it a lot and i think your definition is pretty much what i think of...

alasdair

I once put this on while watching the Disney documentary 'Oceans' on mute. Mainly as a way to drown out Pierce Brosnan's narrative, but it turned out to be a pretty incredible mix. Highly recommended.

^I still haven't listened to hallucinogen in dub. :eek:

This tune is so fucking cool; loving the way the hats and the bass make me feel.

Shivatree. Not a fan. I am digging this however,

Someone called this 'power psy'. I have never heard of such a subgenre but ok. Not sure if it is a real genre but hey it's some fresh psy.

A little generic I'm thinking. I haven't been into the stuff for a few years. Sounds repetitively familiar.