• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

How does Ativan compare to Xanax, Valium, and Klonopin?

K'd... perhaps you should spend some more time educating yourself. This is in no way a direct insult, but with the way you type (spelling, punctuation, etc.) and the way you act... it's certainly not giving you any credibility. Do you think your personal experience is somehow superior to scientific/clinical studies? Can you tell us your qualifications and why we should take your word as the absolute truth?

Hallucinations, talking to people who aren't there? I was given an IV of 2mg Ativan at rehab and just felt calm, like I wasn't worrying about things & subtly sedated. But mostly relaxed. I was chained up because I was given it to prevent seizures. I was taking 60mg of Penobarbital and 20mg of Diazepam every 4 hours at the time so that may have had something to do with it.
I'm sorry, what is your question?

K'd... perhaps you should spend some more time educating yourself. This is in no way a direct insult, but with the way you type (spelling, punctuation, etc.) and the way you act... it's certainly not giving you any credibility. Do you think your personal experience is somehow superior to scientific/clinical studies? Can you tell us your qualifications and why we should take your word as the absolute truth?

I'm sorry, what is your question?

Well, despite the fact that a study suggests lorazepam is as effective as alprazolam, he still believes lorazepam is "total shit for panic disorder" from personal experience. :\

Well, despite the fact that a study suggests lorazepam is as effective as alprazolam, he still believes lorazepam is "total shit for panic disorder" from personal experience. :\

Yes, IMO, hence in my opinion, I still insist that Lorazepam is a subtle benzodiazepine. It is not effective for most of "my" symptoms. I'm not trying to say that just because it doesn't work for me that it won't work for everybody else. I'm just stating how I feel about it. It may be incredibly effective for panic disorder/anxiety for the majority of people

Sorry for my earlier posts, I haven't been myself lately. But I didn't pull those numbers out of thin air, I suffer panic disorder so I know which benzodiazepines are effective/ineffective for it. Like I mentioned earlier, "FOR ME" not everyone else.

Apologizes again.

Yes, IMO, hence in my opinion, I still insist that Lorazepam is a subtle benzodiazepine. It is not effective for most of "my" symptoms. I'm not trying to say that just because it doesn't work for me that it won't work for everybody else. I'm just stating how I feel about it. It may be incredibly effective for panic disorder/anxiety for the majority of people

Sorry for my earlier posts, I haven't been myself lately. But I didn't pull those numbers out of thin air, I suffer panic disorder so I know which benzodiazepines are effective/ineffective for it. Like I mentioned earlier, "FOR ME" not everyone else.

Apologizes again.

I suffer PTSD, GAD, ADHD, and borderline personality. So I know a thing or two about panic attacks myself.

I get 20 mg Lexapro once daily, alprazolam 1 mg 3x/day, Dexedrine (I get 150 of the 5 mg tabs monthly) 10 mg in morning, 10 mg afternoon, 5 mg evening, and I get 100 mg Seroquel at bedtime. Plus a couple more non-psychiatric meds.

Alprazolam works great for my anxiety and panic attacks, diazepam did aswell and lorazepam was even better than diazepam, while clonazepam sucked. That was my experience with them as far as panic attacks go.

Last edited:
I suffer PTSD, GAD, ADHD, and borderline personality. So I know a thing or two about panic attacks myself.

I get 20 mg Lexapro once daily, alprazolam 1 mg 3x/day, Dexedrine (I get 150 5 mg tabs monthly) 10 mg in morning, 10 mg afternoon, 5 mg evening, and I get 100 mg Seroquel at bedtime. Plus a couple more non-psychiatric meds.

Alprazolam works great for my anxiety and panic attacks, diazepam did aswell and lorazepam was even better than diazepam, while clonazepam sucked. That was my experience with them as far as panic attacks go.

That's cool, I'm glad you found something that works. At one point I had it (almost) solved but my doctor won't put me back on benzodiazepines since I quit them. I have to look on the streets. :\

IDK if anyone has brought this up, but long-term use of benzodiazapines is associated with agoraphobia. Treatment? Benzodiazapines....

Anyway, another thing, klonopin on a regular basis is a great additive for bipolar since it has mood-stabilizing benefits.

I've taken either klonopin or ativan for over 10 years and my panic disorder is gone, which is really great, but I do have a bit of the aforementioned agoraphobia going on.

It's not "subtle". Lorazepam has poor lipid solubility and high degree of protein binding (85-90% ) mean that lorazepam's volume of distribution is mainly the vascular compartment, causing relatively prolonged peak effects. So even though it is a short-intermediate benzo, it has a prolonged effect and for some (most actually) people, it takes over an hour for it to kick in and it peaks at about 3-4 hours, for some who metabolize drugs slowly, it would peak about 5-6 hours after ingestion.

It's not subtle because for most people it takes over an hour to kick in and peaks at about three to four hours later?

........ Oh.

Last edited:
^ according to my Nurse's Drug Guide, the PO onset is 1 hour and the peak is 2 hours. If you search around you'll find this to be the general consensus in the medical field.

ok. well i do not know the exact definition of onset in this context, but orally administered ativan does not take an hour to kick in. maybe an hour before it is at its peak? that what a 1 hour onset means? i would disagree with even that, but at least it would not sound quite so removed from reality. it takes people 5-20 minutes before they are feeling swallowed ativan. less if they sublingual.

^Onset is when the effects become apparent and as I said above, the book I referenced lists the peak at 2 hours.

Most other sources I've found put the onset at 1 hour but I've seen some that are less. Its fair to note that these are for small therapeutic doses and so larger recreational doses will produce effects quicker.

I don't think ANY pill can be dissolved, get into the bloodstream and to the brain to produce effects within 5 minutes, even 20 is a stretch.

Lorazepam is a short-intermediate benzo that has a slow onset of effects and a prolonged effect because it doesn't peak until 2-4 hrs (yes, 3 and even 4 hours for some). Like I said earlier, lorazepam has poor lipid solubility and a very high degree of protein binding and that means its volume of distribution is mainly the vascular compartment which causes a prolonged peak effect.

I don't think ANY pill can be dissolved, get into the bloodstream and to the brain to produce effects within 5 minutes, even 20 is a stretch.
really? on an empty stomach, i feel even the slowest pills (e.g. vicodion) start within about 15-20 minutes. benzos are many times faster, and usually soft enough that they dissolve as soon as the liquid you are swallowing with touches them. on an empty stomach, i can feel triazolam in 180 seconds--but that is freakishly on one end of the spectrum. my point just being that there are many examples of pills that are up in the air and flying at the 20 minute mark.

but what you guys are repeating about ativan and its timeline is ridiculous. unless you are daily/habitual ativan users, i think you two should take a step back and consider. i mean that in a very respectful way, because if you guys were not BL users that i considered level headed about drugs, i would just glaze over this nonsense. a full hour to feel the effects? 2-4 hours to peak? please. you are making my fucking brain twitch.

Yes, when I take temazepam out of the capsules and parachute them. I start to feel the effects in literally 5 minutes, but temazepam is the most rapidly absorbed benzo and has the fastest cerebral uptake among all benzos.

but what you guys are repeating about ativan and its timeline is ridiculous. unless you are daily/habitual ativan users, i think you two should take a step back and consider. i mean that in a very respectful way, because if you guys were not BL users that i considered level headed about drugs, i would just glaze over this nonsense. a full hour to feel the effects? 2-4 hours to peak? please. you are making my fucking brain twitch.

These are the experiences I've had with Ativan (although I am daily/prescribed user of it).

Your mileage may (will) vary, esp. if you are a first time user. If you take it sublingually then it does kick in faster but the full effects still take a while to peak.

Yes, when I take temazepam out of the capsules and parachute them. I start to feel the effects in literally 5 minutes, but temazepam is the most rapidly absorbed benzo and has the fastest cerebral uptake among all benzos.

It takes 30min to an hour to kick in, if I take it sublingually it takes less time to kick in (and kill anxiety/panic, which is what its best at) but yes, 2 hours or so before the peak. I actually like how Ativan has a drawn-out peak.

It's metabolism is as such. You cannot argue with the science behind it. I will repeat it again: Lorazepam is a short-intermediate benzo that has a slow onset of effects and a prolonged effect because it doesn't peak until 2-4 hrs (yes, 3 and even 4 hours for some). Like I said earlier, lorazepam has poor lipid solubility and a very high degree of protein binding and that means its volume of distribution is mainly the vascular compartment which causes a prolonged peak effect.

That's science, it's not bullcrap.