• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

The Recipe Thread! Part II: Electric Mixaroo

SA said:
Request:

Can anyone offer their favourite Chicken Gumbo recipe, please. I mean your favourite home brew. Thanks in advance.

Yes! I just put a call to my dad with the request he write his recipe down. Dad works on Jamaican time, so let me know if I need to nudge him. My own attempts at gumbo have been mixed. I've found the key to be PICKING REALLY EXCELLENT OKRA and timing the cooking of said okra so it doesn't get too chewy or stringy.

Don't forget the file'

It's essential! But only at the table. It's ground sassafras, kind of like what the uber 1337 chemists use... not really. Don't add it while cooking. I did that and regretted it.
This is a sensible chicken-seafood gumbo recipe

My dad will be a big help for a chicken-only as he is allergic to most shellfish. Just remember to add the file' at the table! :)

DG said:
I made a delicious drink last night...I didnt measure though.

Pineapple Mojito

- pineapple rum ( I had made one with regular white rum and it was really good. I ran out and switched to the pineapple and it was a little sweeter)
- a drop of sugar
- crushed fresh mint
- crushed pineapple
- ice
- a splash of club soda

I could easily down a pitcher of these. Super yummy.
my girls and i have had quite a few girls nights and we try to make mojitos a lot, they never are as good as the ones we are spoiled by at our local bistro. omg are they delicious, perfect mojito goodness. it is my quest in life to make a good one on my own.

Ooh, lots of good recipes. Here's a simple one that I quite like:

Avocado whip

4 Ripe avocados, seeded
2 tbsp lemon juice (or to taste)
salt to taste
cayenne if desired

Blend the ingredients together until a smooth texture is obtained. Use instead of butter/margarine on toast, sandwiches, and so on. I really like it on toast, with an over-easy egg on top, with a bit of homemade salsa on top of that. Yum.

Edit:

I'm just getting into Mojitos myself, so I'll share the recipe that I tweaked.

3-5 spearmint leaves (has to be spearmint, other varieties don't work as well)
0.75 oz simple syrup (I make mine with 1 part raw demerara sugar to 1 part water, simmered until dissolved and allowed to cool)
juice of 1 lime
1/2 spent lime hull
2 oz white rum
3 oz sparkling mineral water

Muddle spearmint leaves with simple syrup. Add lime juice, lime hull and rum. Gently press the last bit of juice out of the hull, but not fully muddling. Fill the glass 2/3 full of crushed ice, add mineral water while stirring until glass is full (usually around 3 oz.) and glass is frosty. Garnish with a lime slice and/or sprig of mint, or nothing if you're not being fancy.

Last edited:
Dave said:
I'm just getting into Mojitos myself, so I'll share the recipe that I tweaked.

3-5 spearmint leaves (has to be spearmint, other varieties don't work as well)
0.75 oz simple syrup (I make mine with 1 part raw demerara sugar to 1 part water, simmered until dissolved and allowed to cool)
juice of 1 lime
1/2 spent lime hull
2 oz white rum
3 oz sparkling mineral water

Muddle spearmint leaves with simple syrup. Add lime juice, lime hull and rum. Gently press the last bit of juice out of the hull, but not fully muddling. Fill the glass 2/3 full of crushed ice, add mineral water while stirring until glass is full (usually around 3 oz.) and glass is frosty. Garnish with a lime slice and/or sprig of mint, or nothing if you're not being fancy.
ok, you lost me with that demerara part, what the hell is that? someone idiot proof this drink please :D

yummy ill have to try that one too Dave. I <3 mojitos!

Demerara is just a kind of raw sugar. I find that it's a bit more flavourful than white sugar, but not as overpowering in drinks as brown. And since the recipe calls for white rum (ick), I find that it balances things out nicely-- it doesn't cover up the subtle flavours like a nice, dark rum, but covers the nastiness of white rum nicely.

Candied Pecans:
1 egg white
1 16 oz. bag pecans (you can use any other nut, really but I just prefer pecans)
1/2 cup dark brown sugar

Beat the egg white until stiff
Add brown sugar and mix thoroughly
Add pecans and stir until evenly coated
Spread them out on a baking sheet covered with wax paper or aluminum foil, coated with cooking spray
Bake for 15 minutes in 250F oven, or until brown and delicious-smelling

In total it takes 30 minutes to prepare, and 24 hours for my boyfriend to consume an entire batch.

Simple syrup is the key to a good mojito. Demerara is pricey and I don't know whether it's refined, but my local coffee place has it and it's great. Mojitos need fresh mint as well. I prefer a good bourbon in a mint julep instead of rum in a mojito. I do like both. :)

Today I made fresh paneer from a recipe I had at home that is similar to this recipe: Delightful Paneer.

The recipe I had at home didn't have pictures. The paneer is in its last stage. So far, so good. A small piece broke off, but it held its texture and isn't at all burned or rancid. I can't decide whether to fry it (like firm tofu) or just cut it and put it into the masala sauce I already have on hand.

Ooh! I love paneer! My only problem is that whenever I make it, no matter what I do I end up getting tons of crud burnt on the bottom of the pot that I'm using. Tips?

Demerara in theory shouldn't be refined, but I wouldn't be surprised if some brands are. I get mine from a local organic market (only when it's on sale), and have been very satisfied. When I worked for Starbucks, there was a period of about 2 months where we had demerara in one of those sugar dispensers rather than by the packet. It was great, until the district manager found out that every single employee in the store was stealing the bulk sugar and just putting out the leftover packets :)

I've always loved this thread. Unfortunately, when I cook, my measurement is in taste, not numbers. But I'll try nonetheless :)

Baqdunsieah (or Baqdunsiee in Lebanese Arabic). This is a vegan-friendly cousin of Tabuleh (Tabuli). It is also very good for you. Since its main ingredient is parsley, a diuretic, I do not recommend drinking Alcohol or caffeine with it, haha. This is a dish from the Levant usually served with fish, but can be eaten alone as a salad snack. It is one of my favourites and I'm going to give it as I've learnt it from my mother :)

Ingredients:
- A bunch of Parsley
- A handful of walnuts
- Garlic
- A pinch of salt
- Tahina (Tahini)
- Yoghurt

Preparation: Chop the parsley real fine. You should pick the most aromatic parsley you can find, although you can mix in the less aromatic but lattice-shaped kind for aesthetics. Crush the walnuts into fine pieces. I would say put as much walnut as you'd like to taste.

Dressing: Put a pinch of salt in a mortar-and-pistil, and put as much garlic into it as you'd like to taste (I personally put lots). Crush into a fine paste. Add a little bit (couple of tablespoons?) of tahina and yogurt on top of it and mix. very well.

Now put the parsley and the walnuts in a bowl, and add the above dressing to it. Mix very well, until the whole thing looks like a homogenous paste. If it is too "dry", add some more Tahina and a tiny bit more yogurt. However, make absolutely sure that it does not become soggy! You want it to have the consistency of, say, dough.

Enjoy! :)

My god, this thread makes me HUNNNGRAY. Some great new submissions! Here is my newest appetizer recipe. It's a very simple vegetarian dish but it's delicious and quite healthy too!

Parmesan Baked Tomatoes

Ingredients :
Parmesan Cheese (fresh or crumbled, fresh is better)
Tomatoes (Small meaty tomatoes are preferable, but most any will work)
Chopped Chives and/or Green Onion (I recommend using both!)
Salt and Pepper (To taste!)
Chopped or Sliced Garlic
Oregano

Preheat oven to 350º. Halve your tomatoes, I like to use a spoon to make a small resting area for ingredients to go in on the tomato. Put a nice mix of chives/green onion/garlic/oregano onto the resting area, grate your Parmesan on top and then season with salt and pepper and pop them in the oven for 15 minutes or longer depending on the size of the tomato. Make sure they are a bit dried out and not juicy anymore. Then just let them cool and DEVOUR! There you have it, elegance and simplicity. Really good for a small dinner party.

Last edited:
Dave said:
Ooh! I love paneer! My only problem is that whenever I make it, no matter what I do I end up getting tons of crud burnt on the bottom of the pot that I'm using. Tips?

Demerara in theory shouldn't be refined, but I wouldn't be surprised if some brands are. I get mine from a local organic market (only when it's on sale), and have been very satisfied. When I worked for Starbucks, there was a period of about 2 months where we had demerara in one of those sugar dispensers rather than by the packet. It was great, until the district manager found out that every single employee in the store was stealing the bulk sugar and just putting out the leftover packets :)

Hehe. All the SBUX employees I know allow the nitrous cartridges to fall off the back of trucks. ;)

Paneer turned out OK, A for effort and B for execution. It mostly stayed together. I was a little rough with stirring it. I added it to korma sauce I got from Trader Joe's.

The key to not burning your milk would be adjusting your flame to the point where you obtain a rolling boil. If you have a gas stove (as I do) this is probably quite a bit easier. Once you've reached the point of a rolling boil - turn the flame down A LOT, right away, and add your coagulating agent. Lemon juice worked very well for me; you can substitute lime juice as well.

Just mind the flame on the stove (especially if it's electric) and you'll get excellent results provided you follow the recipe to the letter.

You MUST use whole milk. I can't stress this enough. You won't get enough curd otherwise. I may tweak the recipe with the addition of half-and-half.

Paneer, in addition to being absolutely delicious, is cruelty-free in that the coagulating agent is not animal derived. Rennet free. Of course, vegans would disagree (I live with a recent ex-vegan - he broke over pizza :D) but using milk that comes from cows not treated with rBST, preferably also organic, is both delicious and good on the conscience. :)

For vegans and soy lovers: you can follow the same set of instructions substituting soy milk and you'll get tofu! I haven't tried this out yet.

If anyone has any good gluten-free recipes: I'd appreciate them. I'm probably going to be eliminating gluten from my diet soon as it appears I'm intolerant. I'm allergic to raw tomatoes (can have them cooked in moderation) and pineapple as well. Gluten-free living is going to be weird, but my life probably depends on it due to my allergies. :( I eat all meats except lamb/mutton and most fish.

Tee hee. I must have 'misplaced' at least three or four cases of nitrous over the years that I worked there. Among many other things :) Good times.

Thanks for the tips! I was using nonfat milk, so that may have been causing problems. I don't do much dairy anymore, but I'll have to give it another go sometime.

Slow Cooking Spaghettic Sauce (Read!)

So far..
This is what I have together:

SAUCE

- Prego "Flavored w/ Meat" 3 pound jar

OR

- Ragu "Flavored w/ Meat" 4 pound 2 ounce jar

HERBS & SPICES

- Minced Garlic (McCormick)
- Onion Powder (McCormick)
- Basil Leaves (McCormick)
- Crushed Red Pepper (McCormick)

MEAT

- Extra Hot Italian Sausage
- Ground Beef

Alright.. Now the point to this..lol.

I plan on making a killer spaghetti sauce. I'm going to slow cook it, in a slow cooker (obviously) for ATLEAST 24 hours - 72 hours. I have never slow cooked spaghetti sauce.

Basically I want to make an amazing spaghetti sauce.. & I am looking for suggestions and help.

As you can see by my herbs & spices, I would like it to be somewhat spicy.. but not entirely. Just abit of a "kick".

I love minced garlic & onion powder.. I think it will give it some amazing flavor.

A little crushed red pepper.

As far as the basil leaves.. I was told to use them, but not even sure how big of a difference it makes.

Anyways.. Any comments & suggestions would be greatly appreciated it.
Do my herbs & spices seem good?
What other herbs & spices would you recommend?
What about meat? What would you add?

Is a couple pounds of sauce enough for a good amount of left overs?

How about adding in the ingredients? Like I said I want it to slow cook for a couple days.. so what time should I be adding in certain ingredients?

Thanks for all your feedback guys. I hope this thread isn't to fucked up..lol.. I'm not trying to sound like an idiot or anything.. I can cook fairly decent.. but have never really put any real efford into sauce or anything.. So lets hear what you have to say!

I don't usually used the can sauces, I think you should add some oregano and tomatoe paste (so its not watery) I'd use more than one jar if you want left overs and I'd use two different flavored sauces if you're gonna use store brought sauces. Good Luck and Bon Appétit!

Suggestion: Never start with Prego or Ragu........or any canned or jarred sauce for that matter.......especially nothing "with meat." Add your own fresh meat.

If you have to, canned diced tomatos and/or tomato paste are acceptable.

Prego and Ragu already have herbs and spices added......along with preservatives. Adding your own on top of that would just be overkill.

In golf we have a saying for when you have one good shot on a hole where you have already made several bad shots.........."Whipped cream on shit."

xeracismx said:
I don't usually used the can sauces, I think you should add some oregano and tomatoe paste (so its not watery) I'd use more than one jar if you want left overs and I'd use two different flavored sauces if you're gonna use store brought sauces. Good Luck and Bon Appétit!

I actually got away from making my sauces thick like that. I found that I like my "sauce" rathar thin with chunky bits added in (meats and veggies).

My favorites chunks are tomato wedges, mushrooms, zucchini, and both hot and sweet sausage. I usually dice an onion in there too.

Since I don't use jarred sauce I have to carefully season it with the right amount of salt.

Unfortunately, I only have dried herbs, and I don't care for too much oregano or italian seasoning. Some day I'll probably start an herb garden.

make your sauce from scratch using fresh tomatoes! geez.

why go to all this trouble but start with some crappy canned sauce?

alasdair

indeed.

be sure to grate a shitton of veges such as zucchini, carrot, celery, onion and eggplant into your sauce for an awesome consistancy as well as added nutrients.

...kytnism...:|

want an italian family recipe or suggestions on yours?

I'm not too happy to give out my fam recipe, so I'll give you suggestions:

1.) When you simmer a sauce, its to mingle the spices and reduce the sauce. A slow-cooker is bad for this, as it doesn't get hot enough to simmer, so you'll have a hot but watery sauce

2.) Prego or any other canned sauce already has ingredients and spices in it... get heinz tomato sauce (or some form of crushed or canned tomatoes). No spices, so you add your own

3.) Don't get tomato paste, regardless of what anyone else here says. Tomato paste is a thickener, and it shouldn't go into a sauce unless you have a really thin sauce, and only a tablespoon at most.

4.) Simmering for over 8 hours will be too long... you'll end up chewing the sauce once it cools. I simmer mine from 4-6 hours.

5.) Simmer means there's a chance to burn, so stir the sauce every 15-30 minutes.

If all else fails, I'll give you the family recipe... takes about 1 hour to prep, then 4-6 hour simmer.