• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

The Recipe Thread! Part II: Electric Mixaroo

Max - that looks KILLER! Great photo too, I'm impressed.

So as part of my dinner today, I thought that I'd use up some of the older stuff in my fridge. I had half of a huge cabbage just sitting there, and a bunch of cashew cream from about a week ago that needs using. Now, creamy cabbage is a great comfort food from my youth; usually just sliced cabbage, onions, garlic, lots of salt and pepper, baked in the oven with a silly amount of cream. Well, I wanted something similar, but veganized, and figured that I'd try the cashew cream. Worked wonderfully.

I didn't bake it, however; I pan steamed the sliced cabbage until soft and then cooked it until it just started to brown in the same pan, along with sliced onions garlic, a bit of salt and LOTS of pepper. Mmmm. Then, to finish I added about a cup of heavy (i.e. unfiltered) cashew cream, stirred to combine and let heat through. It was indistinguishable, from my memory at least, to the 'real' deal, and was a heap healthier too.

Vegan stovetop creamy cabbage

1/2 large head of normal, cheap as dirt cabbage, core removed, sliced in half (so, quarters of the whole head) and then sliced into ribbons, as thinly as possible
4-6 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced (not minced or crushed, it'll overcook if to finely cut)
1 medium-large onion, halved and sliced into half moons
olive oil for frying
salt and pepper
cashew cream (directions below)

Start by heating the frying oil, maybe 2 tbsp worth, in the biggest sautee pan/wok you've got, on medium-high heat. Ideally it should have a lid, otherwise it'll take forever to cook the cabbage down. Toss in the cabbage, stir to lightly coat in oil, and let sit until the pan gets warm again. Once the sizzling sound returns, add a heavy pinch (maybe 1 tsp) of salt and 1/4 cup of water to the pan and cover. Let steam for a few minutes, until the cabbage has softened and reduced in volume by about 1/3 to 1/2. This would be a great time to slice your onions and garlic.

Once the cabbage is steamed, remove the lid and let the steam evaporate. Add the onions and garlic, and cook until the cabbage just starts to brown, stirring often. Add the cashew cream, stir to mix, and let heat through. Check for seasoning before serving, piping hot. Goes great as a side dish to a hearty stew, along with a rustic bread or roasted vegetables and potatoes.

Cashew Cream

I can't recall if I've told how to make this, but this is the best substitute for cream in virtually every application that I've tried so far. It's not quite as sweet as dairy cream, but in some applications coconut cream is too sweet. This stuff works wonderfully, and can be easily sweetened for desserts with a little agave/maple syrup.

1 cup raw cashews
lots of fresh water
time

Soak the cashews for at least 4 hours in lots of nice cold water. At least double the volume of nuts should be used. I usually soak them overnight for convenience's sake. After the soaking period has completed, drain the nuts into a colander and rinse very well. Transfer to a high-speed blender (Blend-Tec is best, but I have a little Krups that works well enough, so I'd wager that most decent blenders would do the trick). Blend on the highest setting with a 1:1 volume of fresh water, until smooth and creamy. This is 'heavy' cashew cream, and is good in place of creme fraiche, sour cream (with a splash of lemon for tartness) or heavy cream in all but whipped applications. If you don't have a high-speed blender, there may be a slight gritty texture to the cream. If that bugs you, then you can pass it through a fine sieve to get light cream, which works well as a half-and-half substitute. Or, conversely, you could just dilute with more fresh water to get the consistency needed, and nuts to the grittiness! (if there's even any at all)

Bump for great justice.

So, I'm starting work on a trio of nut cheeses for my office xmas party. Figured that it's as good a time as any to give it a whirl. Doing a simple uncultured almond cheese, a commercial probiotic cultured macadamia cheese, and if it works (pending a self-test first for toxicity) a cashew cheese using rejuvelac.

If any of them work out, I'll post photos and recipes upon completion.

Oh, and while I'm here-- it hasn't gotten the official go-ahead just yet, but I'm going to be putting out a call for recipes for a Bluelight Recipe Book soon! So give some thought as to some of your favourite recipes that you might consider giving to the cause.

No rush-- I'm just going through the recipe threads now, but I'll eventually be putting out a call for more once we get official approval.

i'd like to include my meatloaf recipe. it is rather unique since i use brown sugar and corn flake crumbs.

Sounds delish! If you don't want to post it publicly, feel free to PM.

:D

On topic: The macadamia cheese is coming along nicely. Just started the uncultured almond cheese and the cultured cashew cheese. The rejuvelac was a resounding failure - there's no way in hell that I'm putting something that smells that rancid in my body - so I'll be doing the cashew cheese with the same commercial probiotic as the macadamia cheese.

I was wondering the mods could edit the first couple posts. I wanna make sure I didnt already post some recipes of mine. I have a horrible memory.. LOL... im srs.

and heres a recipe to hold over till I really give it thought.

Spaghetti With Bacon and Onion (this serves 6)

1 lb bacon
2 onions (medium)
1 cup white wine
30 ozs diced tomatoes (petite cut work)
1 tsp dried thyme (ground)
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 lb spaghetti

1 Cut bacon into matchstick size and cook over medium-high heat for 5 minutes.
2 Dice onion, cook till tender (about 5-7 minutes). Meanwhile, fill pot with water for spaghetti and set on high.
3 Drain 3/4 - 7/8 of the fat. How much you drain is up to you. The more you drain, the healthier it is. The more you leave in, the better it tastes.
4 Add the white wine and raise the temperature. Cook off most of the liquid (approx 5 minutes).
5 Lower temperature to moderate heat, add tomatoes, thyme, salt and pepper. Cook for 10 - 15 minutes.
6 By now, water should be boiling. Cook spaghetti according to package directions.
7 Drain spaghetti, toss with sauce.
8 Enjoy!

Last edited:
Mahogany Chicken Wings (appetizer for 4-5 people)

1/6th cup ketchup
1 cup honey
1/6th cup soy sauce
1 clove of garlic or 2 tsp garlic powder
2 lbs chicken wings

1.) Mix ingredients.
2.) Pour over wings.
3.) Make a single layer of wings on baking sheet.
4.) Cook for 1 hour at 400 degrees.

Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken Wings(appetizer for 5-6 people

3 lbs chicken wings
1 & 1/2 cups barbecue sauce
1/4th cup honey
2 tsps mustard
2 tsps worcestershire sauce

1 arrange chicken wings on broiler pan.
2 broil 4-5" from heat. turning once.
3 cook until chicken is golden. about 8-10 minutes.
4 place chicken in slow cooker.
5 combine barbecue sauce, honey, mustard and worchestshire sauce in a bowl. mix well.
6 pour over chicken.
7 cover and heat on low setting for 2-2 1/2 hours.

bacon wrapped waterchestnuts are next.. as well as my homemade BBQ chicken PIZZA. next week ill post them.

Last edited:
Hi, I'm new and I can't wait to read the thread and try some of the yummy recipes you guys and gals have served up!! Thanks Dave and Cap for getting me to this thread! :)

Eggs Pomodoro

Ingrediants/supplies:
2-3 eggs (really depends on how hungry you are and/or how large of a frying pan you have)
Preggo or ragu (your choice but your choice should be preggo)
Garlic (cut or powder, again your choice)
Pepper
medium to large frying pan
wooden spoon

Directions:
1.) Take your pan and warm it up over the stove, though not for long, 30 seconds tops.

2.) Empty out some preggo sauce into the pan so to cover the bottom. If youre only doing 2 eggs its not bad to see a little bit of the bottom of the pan, but if youre doing any more than 2 eggs coat that son'bitch

3.) Once the sauce starts to bubble a bit, turn the heat down and add your eggs. Make sure to space them out pretty evenly

4.) Add your fresh garlic or garlic powder

5.) Cover the pan and let set for a bit, though do check up on them (depending on how hard you want your yolks. For this dish I believe the yolks to be best served firm, but thats just me).

You're pretty much done at this point, unless you want to skip down to the "additional fun" section of the post.

**This dish is best served straight out of the frying pan (less clean up too).

*Additional fun:
The best way to eat this dish, imo, is with some buttered toast. Toast is the best fork when it comes to Eggs Pomodoro.

^win, so much of it!

Bombo: lol @ 'Preggo'. Not bad, but proper pomodoro with a hint of garlic, salt, pepper and chili flakes will do better, with less sugar/preservatives/etc... Failing the 'real deal', just blend a tin of tomatoes and spice 'er up.

I do loves me some eggs pomodoro though. Used to do one with salsa; kind of a pseudo- hueveros rancheros.

I realied my mistake as I was doing it and thought it was too funny not to leave in :3

Eggs Pomodoro

Ingrediants/supplies:
2-3 eggs (really depends on how hungry you are and/or how large of a frying pan you have)
Preggo or ragu (your choice but your choice should be preggo)
Garlic (cut or powder, again your choice)
Pepper
medium to large frying pan
wooden spoon

Directions:
1.) Take your pan and warm it up over the stove, though not for long, 30 seconds tops.

2.) Empty out some preggo sauce into the pan so to cover the bottom. If youre only doing 2 eggs its not bad to see a little bit of the bottom of the pan, but if youre doing any more than 2 eggs coat that son'bitch

3.) Once the sauce starts to bubble a bit, turn the heat down and add your eggs. Make sure to space them out pretty evenly

4.) Add your fresh garlic or garlic powder

5.) Cover the pan and let set for a bit, though do check up on them (depending on how hard you want your yolks. For this dish I believe the yolks to be best served firm, but thats just me).

You're pretty much done at this point, unless you want to skip down to the "additional fun" section of the post.

**This dish is best served straight out of the frying pan (less clean up too).

*Additional fun:
The best way to eat this dish, imo, is with some buttered toast. Toast is the best fork when it comes to Eggs Pomodoro.

I saw the pics, it looked win!

Avocado smoothie

An easy raw food smoothie I make quite often which tastes lovely:

1 cold, ripe, medium sized avocado, peeled and diced
20 organic raw almonds or 2 tblspns LSA (ground linseed, sunflower seeds and almonds)
1 decent sized banana, diced
400ml cold organic almond milk
20mls agave nectar (or to taste)

Puree ingredients in blender until blended and almonds are ground.

Serves: 2

Last edited: