• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

The Recipe Thread! Part II: Electric Mixaroo

fizzygirl said:
I grew up eating everything pretty much from scratch....I didn't have hamburger helper or instant mashed potatoes until I moved off to college. I didn't realize until then how awesome that was, but yeah, pretty nice :)

Same here, in factI have never even tried the Hamburger Helper kind of things...maybe ill buy some this week just to try lol.

My mom makes an awesome roast, no clue what she puts in it but damn its delicious.

I make homemade Jewish Chicken soup often, and its really easy. in my family we rarely use measurements so i couldnt tell ya how to make it sorry.

Peppered Steak on rice pilaf. Basically its stir fry meat simmered/sauteed with garlic, oil, pepper, soy sauce. After 40 mins you add green peppers, onions, mushrooms, and after 15 mins you add tomatoes with some ketchup. Serve on rice. Mmmmmm so good.

My moms Fried Pork Tenerloin, Mashed Potatoes and lotso Gravy

Or

My own

Steak and Potatoes
Ribs

I can work a mean grill

oh WOW guys these are awesome!! i want to try so many of the things ive read so far.. ill respond with more detail soon, thanks for all the instructions too people =D

quick update; the final menu last night:
-Grilled steaks by Gabe
-Sauteed mushies on top
-Baked potato or sweet potato w/ butter or sour cream
-Salad w/ cherry tomatoes, mushrooms and miso-ginger dressing
-Warm buttermilk biscuits

mmmmmmm, it turned out good. he said he would think of that meal if he was out camping with no real food, reduced to eating a can of fruit cocktail one day in the future. hehe.

ps~ re: hamburger helper; it's not really 'homecooked' except that its not really takeout, therefor a step in the right direction for this household. we just picked it up grocery shopping at safeway for the first time a month ago, and neither of us had had it in like a decade. it's very "middle school sleepover food", and brings back good memories. :) i definately am asking for the made from skratch kind of foods you all like primarily, but hey anything simple and satisfying is perfect too. like variations on classics like mac & cheese! mmmm

i'll definately be trying out a lot of these suggestions, im really hungry now after reading them jeesus! i'll post updates on how it goes as i try them.

thanks all, keep em coming!

I just made myself sausages and dijon mustard mash with gravy. That's gotta rank pretty high on the comfort food scale.

^i suppose where you're from... it does. but ive never heard of it and i was born and raised in the heart of the US so that may be why. i saw someone (i forget who) post a recipe that was sausages, mustard and pasta.... and it sounded SO GOOD... was that you? regardless, sausages and mustard are amazing so putting the two together must be heaven.

hey bee, i just did the same thing the other day. well i was realllyyy high so i went and bought the most white trash, yummy food a girl could find at her local kroger. naturally, tuna helper (generic though, hey i'm poor) and creamed corn.

it was really good.

i forgot about this thread and now im hungry. all i've eaten today was two bites from a slice of peanut butter toast... grrr

faithfully dangerous said:
^i suppose where you're from... it does. but ive never heard of it and i was born and raised in the heart of the US so that may be why. i saw someone (i forget who) post a recipe that was sausages, mustard and pasta.... and it sounded SO GOOD... was that you? regardless, sausages and mustard are amazing so putting the two together must be heaven.

LOL, yeah that was me. I still make that sausage/mustard pasta every two weeks or so (I'll probably finish off this pack of sausages with it). [Recipe]

As far as the thing I made tonight it's just normal mashed potato with butter, warmed milk and a decent blob of dijon mustard. I've bit of a cold at the moment and it really hit the spot :)

most of my girlfriends mums meals are awesome, had it sweet before they went on the south beach diet........hippies

Garlic chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, and a side of steamed broccoli, carrots and cauliflower (with the chicken gravy and black pepper on top). :)

Lamb chops with chipped potatoes and carrots, fried in the fat left from the lamb. With random herbs as I want at the time.

Lemon Chicken, Scalloped Potatos, Broccoli.

This is pretty easy to make. Sautee whole chicken breasts, or breasts that a cut in half in an ample amount of butter and lemon pepper (yes, healthy, I know). The key is to cook it very slowly over medium heat (expect it to take 15-20 minutes turning it often and adding more lemon pepper as needed). This will make a really tender piece of chicken. Then just prepare the broccoli how you like. The potatos are pretty easy. Just slice a the potato into circular slices, make a few tinfoil pockets and heat the oven to like 400ish. Then add a pad of butter and whatever spices you like (garlic, oregano, et cetera), and bake the potatos until tender. Server as is or topped with some sour cream and a bit of cheese (the later two toppings being excellent if you make the potatos spicy).

I've never been any good at cooking =\ I really enjoy it, it just goes horribly wrong each time.

Having said that, I make omelettes for my gf (honoured that i am only person she'll let cook them for her) and I'm pretty good at stir fry, curry, and anything involving eggs (except boiled ones).

Usually, cos I have no one to cook for except me, and occasionally my gf, I just have fun messing round and making random stuff. Current favourite is cold tagliatelle on toast with a bit of salt.

Thinking of learning to cook more stuff though, my friend's a brilliant cook so may get her to teach me.

Gotta love the traditional Turkey, Stuffing and Mashed Potatoes meal as comfort food. :)

I don't know if I can go past the roast pork with crackle, roast pumpkin, cauliflower cheese and crunchy roast taties covered in gravy!!!!!!! YUMMY!!!!!!

I dont care for american southern cooking (country cooking). Ive always liked spicier fare.

Anything indian or thai is an instant favorite, i like mediteranian pasta dishes with seafood.

We make some basic sushi rolls around here from time to time as well, such as california rolls and futo maki.

My mom used to make a really good seafood lasanga with shrimp, salmon, scallops, and lobster. It had brie as one of the cheeses and it gave it a deep flavor. It had a white sauce instead of red, and was made only around the holidays.

Finder said:
Lemon Chicken, Scalloped Potatos, Broccoli.

This is pretty easy to make. Sautee whole chicken breasts, or breasts that a cut in half in an ample amount of butter and lemon pepper (yes, healthy, I know). The key is to cook it very slowly over medium heat (expect it to take 15-20 minutes turning it often and adding more lemon pepper as needed). This will make a really tender piece of chicken. Then just prepare the broccoli how you like. The potatos are pretty easy. Just slice a the potato into circular slices, make a few tinfoil pockets and heat the oven to like 400ish. Then add a pad of butter and whatever spices you like (garlic, oregano, et cetera), and bake the potatos until tender. Server as is or topped with some sour cream and a bit of cheese (the later two toppings being excellent if you make the potatos spicy).

oooh man im trying this!

Big fat juicy hamburgers, pasta, potatoe, or 3 bean salad, homemade fries, a cold beer and a nice sunset.