• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Just left hospital: Do I have Cannabinoid Hyperemesis Syndrome?

Ronald MacDonald

Greenlighter
I just got out of the hospital after a two day stay for abdominal pain, nausea, and vomiting. Two of my gastroenterologists suggested that these bouts with nausea and stomach pain could be caused by smoking marijuana, which I do on a daily basis. About a year and 3/4 ago I had my gall bladder removed and the stomach attacks basically stopped except on two occasions, one being a few days and the other about a year ago. I also use opiates, which to me seems to be the more likely issue. I was on opiates the night before (probably cut with bonita quinine or similar) and woke up the next morning in WD, but I realized it wasn't quickly as the pain and nausea got far worse than my WD level.

What do you guys think? Obviously I'm going to try my hardest to stop the opiates. But do you think theres a chance it's not the opiates and actually the marijuana like my Doctor said? Also he has had several patients just within the last year that had the same symptoms and use marijuana on a daily basis.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Sounds like the familiar nonsense biased doctors and nurses say when the hear of a patient's drug use.

Edit:

I read up on that illness, and my belief is it should read 'Cannabinoid Hyperemesis Syndrome [theory]'.

Last edited:
Are you poopng? Normally?

Chronic constipation due to opiate use can lead to a bowel obstruction if one isn't careful.

your doctor is like most other doctors, biased AGAINST the beautiful and wonderful natural medicinal plant cannabis. it's more likely that you were having a more serious bout of WD's, aa those can lead to an emetic response, at least in my experience.
also i've never heard of cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome.
has anyone else?

Sounds like the familiar nonsense biased doctors and nurses say when the hear of a patient's drug use.

I would think the same thing but I've had so many tests that rule so many other possibilities out. I had an endoscopy which showed nothing but an irritated esophagus due to vomiting. Also had an MRI which showed nothing, as well as a x-ray, cat-scan, and forgot the name of the test but something like hypergram (they put this gel on your stomach and roll a ball around taking pictures). All the tests showed that my stomach and intestines were fine. No problems.

The pain and nausea must be coming from the opiates or the marijuana, right?

happygoluckygal mentioned that bowel obstruction could be it. The night before this happened I ate sooo much food. I had a filet mignon cheesesteak, grilled chicken, multiple bowls of cereal, stuffed potato, and some random other things.

Also I ate two spicy chicken wings. Could that possibly have caused this? When I did have my gall bladder, spicy wings had triggered a bout of pain and nausea like this. But I've been fine eating wings here and there since the gall bladder had been taken out, up to this past time I ate them.

So could it be the wings? Could it be the pill of scramble that who knows what it might have been cut with? Or possibly that rare thc cyclical vomiting condition?

Also at the hospital they were giving me dilaudid IV and I had no bad reactions to it.

Bottom line: I need to get off the opiates as soon as possible, but I'm scared to start suboxone so soon after this happened because I'm still only eating soup and lots of liquid. I'd like to build my body back up a bit before I tried to WD from the opiates.

Also had an MRI which showed nothing, as well as a x-ray, cat-scan, and forgot the name of the test but something like hypergram (they put this gel on your stomach and roll a ball around taking pictures). All the tests showed that my stomach and intestines were fine. No problems.

An untrasound perhaps?

I've never heard of these symptoms from marijuana usue before.

Bottom line: I need to get off the opiates as soon as possible, but I'm scared to start suboxone so soon after this happened because I'm still only eating soup and lots of liquid. I'd like to build my body back up a bit before I tried to WD from the opiates.

Are you seriously saying this?

I think you may have some misunderstandings....

If you want to "build [your] body back up a bit before [you] tried to WD from the opiates" then you have two options, you can stay on opiates to prevent yourself from going into WD, or you can start suboxone to prevent yourself from going into WD.

Im very tired of hearing people talking about going through withdrawal when what they are really doing is getting on suboxone. I have nothing against suboxone, I take it. But it is annoying when people talk about being on suboxone as if it is the same thing as going through withdrawal.

/rant

Sorry about that, I doubt your symptoms are from smoking pot.

An untrasound perhaps?

I've never heard of these symptoms from marijuana usue before.

It's been discussed before.
I don't know enough about the subject to really elaborate but there are reports of similar symptoms.
For a much more educated discussion of this topic than I can provide check the following link.

Theory on 'new' cannabis hyperemesis syndrome

That thread has a pretty good science based discussion of the topic.
Hope that helps. :)

A couple days have not yielded much here so I'm going to see if you get better results in cannabis discussion.

--->CD

For the record, I've also never heard of CHS and am skeptical your symptoms were marijuana-induced.

it's the oppies. CHS is bullshit, no proof or evidence and it's nothing new.

There was a story of 4 or something guys who had a "whiteout" because they smoked "pounds" each day, and finally died. This was a while back. I remember anti-weed campaigns quoting the story as if it were actually hard proof that weed is a life threatening drug. I believe this is where CHS started.

No shit. That much smoke would kill a gorilla. CHS is a good 95% bullshit.

But hell, prove everyone wrong. Drop them both. I'm no doctor, but if you are hitting WDs past the normal morning vomit and headache, a short break can quickly tell you what is causing what.

Keep smoking weed. The doctors just want to sell you prescription drugs.

You might try to cut back or eliminate the opiates and see what happens.

I highly doubt it, since cannabis is technicaly an ANTIemetic (the cannabinoids). other than the possibility that cannabis smoke (just like ciggarette smoke can) damaged your oesophagus and stomach (if you smoked on an empty stomach)

Here's a thought. Maybe cannabis is telling your body to eat better. Maybe soft drinks and junk food are doing it. Try eating healthy non-processed foods and see if your belly finds it more agreeable.

People get illnesses of unidentified causes all the time. If a handful of them use drugs then apparently that's the cause in those cases - couldn't possibly be anything else 8)

In all my years of smoking marijuana, it has done nothing BUT make my stomach feel better and cure nausea. That's one of its chief medical benefits.
I'm thinking it's gotta be either the opiates, or a still unidentified cause.

To OP. Please don't be misguided by people who are google-illiterate. A 5 second google search yields countless examples of cannabinoid hyperemesis, as chronic pot use has been very recently linked to extreme nausea and vomiting. Now, people who claim "WELL MAN POT MAKES YOU FEEL BETTER, NOT WORSE, THERES NO WAY IT COULD BE THE HERB!" are obviously not thinking about the fact that the reason you feel less nauseous is because it reacts with the area of the brain that controls said nausea. One would assume if the weed can make someone not nauseous by the reaction of a chemical to the brain that the exact and extreme opposite could occur if presented with way too much of the aforementioned chemical. However, i do not intend this post to be an anti-marijuana rant. I smoke weed everyday, and am glad about it. However, in the last few weeks, i have felt extreme nausea every morning, consistent with cannabinoid hyperemesis or "marijuana morning sickness". It also depends on how often you smoke, for example, i probably smoke 3 grams a day, which is more than a doctor would assume if you told them you simply smoke pot. SO overall, i would not rule out cannabinoid hyperemesis simply based on the notion that marijuana makes you feel better, not worse, however it seems far more likely the reason is the opiates, which are famous for making people (including me) throw up after overuse. My advise, gtf off the semi-heroine pills, and see if it helps. If not, abstain from smoking for a while to see if that helps. Its a vicious cycle, trust me i know. You feel sick in the morning, so you smoke pot to make you feel not sick. Then you feel fine and dandy till u get up the next morn, then ur sick again. U smoke pot, and repeat. That was my rant at least ø_ø

^^Awesome first post, AK. It's always good to see some weedheads with a bit of knowledge and common sense. :)

To OP. Please don't be misguided by people who are google-illiterate. A 5 second google search yields countless examples of cannabinoid hyperemesis, as chronic pot use has been very recently linked to extreme nausea and vomiting.

Do you have a compulsive bathing disorder? If not, it's probably not CHS (if such a thing exists).

Please show me some good studies. 3 grams worth of plant material a day for an extended period of course will show negative results, you're lighting 3 grams of plant on fire and inhaling it daily. So, I'll give you that -- smoking that much will have an obvious negative effect -- inhaling a combustible material contains carcinogens. Smoke is bad for you. Duh.

I mean, fuck me, half of these studies involve *ONE* person who is ALREADY experiencing symptoms. As most of these studies report at the end:

But the mechanisms by which cannabis causes or controls nausea and the adverse consequences of long-term cannabis toxicity remain unknown and organic disease should not be ruled out as a possible cause
Link.

The first published case study was in 2004 (other than one study in 1994 that DID NOT CITE CANNABIS AS AN ISSUE for the person under study). There have only been a handful since, and only a few reported cases globally (~15?).

So, any good multiple-subject design case studies out there? No, there aren't any I can find.

^^Awesome first post, AK. It's always good to see some weedheads with a bit of knowledge and common sense. :)
8o 8o
You should see some of the priceless quotes the doctor is putting out there (from the most recent "case of CHS").

"Grown men, screaming in pain, sweating profusely, vomiting every 30 seconds and demanding to be allowed to use the shower. It's a very dramatic presentation.

Last edited:
i guess its just a paradoxal effect, like increased suicidal idealation from anti depressants and agitation and anxiety from benzos

weeds only made me puke once, and that was just after i downed a pitcher of beer hit the bong hard and fast and with each cough more puke would spew out

i had an Ex with a stomach problem who needed to smoke weed to eat, or not feel sick, but who knows maybe it was caused by the weed afterall, and the fact that she never stopped was what kept her sick