• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Aspartame interaction with opioids & NSAIDs

ro4eva

Bluelighter
Thought I'd thread this after I discovered it.

Link - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15991573

The purpose of the present study was to investigate analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties of aspartame, an artificial sweetner and its combination with various opioids and NSAIDs for a possible synergistic response. The oral administration of aspartame (2-16mg/kg, po) significantly increased the pain threshold against acetic acid-induced writhes in mice. Co-administration of aspartame (2mg/kg, po) with nimesulide (2 mg/kg, po) and naproxen (5 mg/kg, po) significantly reduced acetic acid-induced writhes as compared to effects per se of individual drugs. Similarly when morphine (1 mg/kg, po) or pentazocine (1 mg/kg, po) was co-administered with aspartame it reduced the number of writhes as compared to their effects per se. Aspartame (4,8,16 mg/kg, po) significantly decreased carrageenan-induced increase in paw volume and also reversed the hyperalgesic effects in rats in combination with nimesulide (2 mg/kg, po). The study indicated that aspartame exerted analgesic and anti-inflammatory effects on its own and have a synergistic analgesic response with conventional analgesics of opioid and non-opioid type, respectively.

Interesting find. could be useful however a guick google search came back with several websites and stories regarding possible poisionous and other severe side effects.

I'll have to look around later if I get a chance to see if I can find any articles on pubmed.

Here's a quick link I found, haven't read yet though:
http://www.sweetpoison.com/aspartame-case-histories.html

Here's the pubmed full article search, seems there are varying reports stating carcinogenic/non-carcinogenic. I don't have the time to read through and determine which I believe, but there are surely a lot of reports of this being a dangerous chemical, dispite being used in diet soda, etc:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc?term=Aspartame

Last edited:
stay away from that shit aspartame is a proven neurotoxin, it's placed here for our use along with many other things to ensure we are diseased and sick.

Yea I've always been weary of it. It's given me headaches in the past as well as upper-right abdominal pain.

It does contain an amino acid which is a precursor to dopamine.

Usually if I need a 0 cal sweetner I'll try to stick with either Splenda or Stevia.

Although I'm not sure those 2 are much healthier.

stay away from that shit aspartame is a proven neurotoxin, it's placed here for our use along with many other things to ensure we are diseased and sick.

Agree. It's the ultimate crap, and although it HAS some analgesic proprties - by wrecking havoc in your brain - do NOT make the mistake that you will get higher if you take it with morphine. Many of those things that works alongside opioids, actually DIMINISHES the euphoria you can get from your ordinary opiate drug. If this is so, I don't know, as I wouldn't dream of taking something so horrible as aspartam (and I am a diabetic never eating sugar) to see if it reacts with the much much less dangerous heroin, methadone etc...

I mean that. I would rather give heroin to a baby, than aspartam.