Pages load incredibly slow if at all...

We appreciate everyones patience with this. Believe me, all of staff is aware of it as we are all having the same problems, it makes it difficult for any of us to get anything done. All I can tell you is that admin are working on it. Even they arent entirely sure of the exact cause, they've looked in to several things and cant seem to pinpoint any single issue, but I promise you that they are trying.

Hang in there guys! A solution should be found soon, I hope.

At 22:21 GMT everything seems to working fine.
I've had so many problems the last few weeks I've had to give up posting.
Could it be a case of the narcs working the service denial thing?

The problem is not fully understood but a denial of service attack would be easily discernible as the problem- so that is not it. Hopefully it will be diagnosed and solved soon but one of the situations that underlies everything is ever increasing traffic which can only be solved by greater resources which will take time and money. Things will get better.

Right Enki, any type of server load issue would be traceable.

I wouldn't mind staying apprised of the investigation. I couldn't access the site beyond getting timeouts, for about a 10 hour span yesterday.

In a perfect world a site dedicated to harm reduction would get grants from the governments across the world and we would have no problems. Bad news is we live in this shite world...if every member gave 5 bucks I think it would be taken care of. Waiting to log on is not a problem..Harm Reuction will prevail!

Right Enki, any type of server load issue would be traceable.

I wouldn't mind staying apprised of the investigation. I couldn't access the site beyond getting timeouts, for about a 10 hour span yesterday.

Yep, same. It's been intermittently bad for a few weeks now, but it completely went dead for me yesterday. Kept getting timeout errors. The part of my brain that unreasonably panics occasionally started yelling "Holy crap! They ran out of funding and couldn't make the server payment and holy crap Bluelight is dead!" But obviously that isn't the case.

i havent noticed any problem in quite a few days now.

^You are supposed to knock on wood before you say that.

Yes its BL has been very responsive over the weekend. It's been great :)

how about deleting threads of the same topic and telling people to their question search instead, i normally visit ED and there has to be thousands of topics labelled "i have lost the magic" what if i can just search "losing magic" and find 1 topic (which is open) about this?

We do that... and then people get upset at us because they dont like being told that their question has been asked a thousand times and to use the search engine... believe me, we cant win. We do try to keep repeat threads to a minimum though, with mega threads and such.

^We are in the process of doing this and call it pruning. Basically all threads which haven't had a post since 2010 are being systematically deleted unless deemed important and saved into the archive. Regarding just one thread per topic (e.g. losing the magic) that does make sense and is somewhat implemented through megathreads, however Bluelight isn't just about disseminating information but also facilitating discussion. It is very easy for a discussion in a megathread to go awry and you can't have two different issues of the same topic being discussed in a megathread at the same time without lots of confusion.

Mods do their best to strike a balance depending on what their forum is trying to do.

edit:

...and as fizzle mentioned get some major flak for doing so :D

Well, Tuesday 01:45 CET and finally got logged on again. Just been impossible this weekend.

Announcement and update

Help is on it's way. Sorry for the recent situation, some of timeouts have lasted for painfully long windows, even if I'm not on the site at the time I get more than enough emails letting me know and when I can I try and reboot the database server to kill locked/queued transactions. Hopefully the coming upgrades should address these problems for good.

Thanks again for your patience.

^Thank you Hoptis for your big efforts improving things and letting us know in advance about the upcoming down time :)

I find it humorous how pressing a button once can cause a form to be submitted 3 or 4 times over the course of 10min before getting a timeout.

Also, super thanks to Hoptis for that update! I was also curious if we would know when BL would be down, so it can save us all the aggravation of trying to load the site at all.

No mod here, just a lowly member. Thanks for all your time and effort guys.

Will be interested to see how the upgrade copes with the load! Good luck hoptis. *Fingers crossed*