Pages load incredibly slow if at all...

It seems to be at times when a lot of people are on here, but even when they're not, it's still painfully slow and times out...

It's probably my connection--I've gotten errors about DNS servers and crap in the past. Never did anything about 'em 'cause I don't know enough about them to fix 'em.

So... I changed my DNS servers back to what they were originally... Loaded BlueLight in IE... and it's slow, but pages load. Anybody have any idea as to why Firefox doesn't work but IE does? You'd think it'd be the other way around...

I was googling around for a possible solution to your problem and I thought I'd share two threads from other forums that could help.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/mic...ved-only-one-important-website-runs-slow.html <<In this thread someone's simaler problem turned out to be zonealarm pro. Its an older thread & might not be applicable anymore.

http://forums.pcworld.com/index.php?/topic/84879-website-loads-slow/ << This thread probably covers what is happening but no real solutions, the good thing is the internet reroutes itself a lot. I had a shitty connection to CBS for about a week and a half while they had some shows I was really wanting to watch. Everybody else was connecting fine and no amount of tweaks on my end could improve it. Suddenly one day it was better all on its own.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/mic...ved-only-one-important-website-runs-slow.html <<In this thread someone's simaler problem turned out to be zonealarm pro. Its an older thread & might not be applicable anymore.
This may solve the problem--I have Zone Alarm. Hrm. I'm going to uninstall it (after I find something comparable). Worth a shot--I value this site more than ZoneAlarm, lol. Buuuut I also don't need viruses on my comp. So, thanks again--I will try it out soon and post back.

This may solve the problem--I have Zone Alarm. Hrm. I'm going to uninstall it (after I find something comparable). Worth a shot--I value this site more than ZoneAlarm, lol. Buuuut I also don't need viruses on my comp. So, thanks again--I will try it out soon and post back.
A lot of people feel the necessity for a third party firewall ended with XP SP2 when the Windows firewall was added. This proposition can become a "Holy War" on tech boards and I know some disagree strongly. Comodo is a popular free firewall but at least at first it is much more of a constant worrying nag than ZA.

EoTory, thanks again for looking into this for me. I had tried using Google, believe me, but it got me no where.

Last night I stumbled upon the Comodo firewall. Tried installing it tonight and I keep getting errors (it can't find a required file to install it)... So, I'm going to go without any firewall for a bit, see if nothing bad happens to my computer, lol. There wasn't a firewall on my mom's computer for awhile, and one day it got overrun with tons of crap. But, I think she clicked something she shouldn't have (she's not computer savvy).

What's weird though is that BlueLight still appears to be loading slow... When I first come to the site, the first two or three pages will load slow but normal for my comp. Any clicks after that will be incredibly slow, but they're no longer timing out... So, it's an improvement... :-/

I'll post back here after running CCleaner and cleaning out my cache and whatnot later tonight (aka tomorrow morning for you normal folk).

Thank you SO MUCH again, EoTory. :) This is definitely an improvement.

I wish I had zonealarm as then i could get a fix.

Interestingly I am finbding the biggest problems come when i try doing mod stuff such as merging etc.

getting into the site never ever causes a problem but trying to do mod stuff and sometimes posting does cause a prob.

I wish I had zonealarm as then i could get a fix.
What do you mean by a fix?

And unfortunately BlueLight is now slower than ever before... I don't know what happened. I'd try completely clearing Firefox but who knows if that'll fix anything, and I like having my History there so I can search it and don't have to Bookmark everything, ya know?

Oh, also, TheLoveBandit, if you read this, you said before: "where is your real ISP [...]? - the point being, perhaps there is a hub that is experiencing slowdowns on the net and you're getting caught in those, or perhaps your ISP is flexing some restraints" I'm near Rochester, NY and I know of someone in Northern Ohio who's having issues with this site... Northern Ohio's not *too* far from here... Probably the same ISP--Time Warner has a monopoly. Speaking of which, if they're preventing me from coming to this site (why would they?), is there any way I can get access? IDK, the wiring and everything around here is so antiquated, I don't doubt there's an issue along the way and that it's not my computer, though it is old...

I'm having this problem too. Only happens on BL. I'm using firefox, win xp on an old heap, windows firewall and on a cable connection from virgin. Need to format hard drive and reinstall windows anyway, will see if that makes any difference.

I'm having this problem too. Only happens on BL. I'm using firefox, win xp on an old heap, windows firewall and on a cable connection from virgin. Need to format hard drive and reinstall windows anyway, will see if that makes any difference.

Did it help? I have an old POS computer--It could probably use a reformat and whatnot... If that improved BL for you, I may give it a shot... It's gotten rediculous now--Doesn't even load in FF lately without refreshing it a million times and waiting like five minutes per page...

^Is it still only for BL? I've never had problems anywhere near that bad.

I seem to have tracked my problems down to firefox.

It is such a terrible browser since it got so big and seems to cause hassles from time to time.

I started having probs with another site as well and a reboot and change of IP address fixed it.

^Is it still only for BL? I've never had problems anywhere near that bad.
It's still just BL. Fitday.com started acting up the other day, but it was temporary and after a few minutes it fixed itself.

I seem to have tracked my problems down to firefox.

It is such a terrible browser since it got so big and seems to cause hassles from time to time.

I started having probs with another site as well and a reboot and change of IP address fixed it.
What browser would you recommend? 'Cause I don't feel secure surfin' the 'net with IE. I've used Opera in the past--Is that a decent enough browser?

Maybe rebooting would help? I reboot my comp. every week or so, but mostly I just leave it in hibernation mode (note: not standby mode)... After I reboot it, I don't notice any difference in BL but I've never really paid close attention to it... Next time I reboot I'll check BL first thing. I'd reboot now but I've got a lot going... Maybe I just need a new computer? Four year old laptop... and I don't have a way to change my IP address as it's set by my ISP...

Chrome has a reputation as the fastest rendering and most stable browser. http://www.google.com/chrome

If someone else could let you use their laptop on your connection you could see if your computer is a part of the problem. When is the last time you restarted your modem and router? Another way to see if it has anything to do with your Windows setup would be to use a liveCD. Xubuntu,PClinuxOS and Puppy Linux are among the easier ones to work with and do OK with less powerful systems.

Last edited:
Chrome has a reputation as the fastest rendering and most stable browser. http://www.google.com/chrome

If someone else could let you use their laptop on your connection you could see if your computer is a part of the problem. When is the last time you restarted your modem and router? Another way to see if it has anything to do with your Windows setup would be to use a liveCD. Xubuntu,PClinuxOS and Puppy Linux are among the easier ones to work with and do OK with less powerful systems.

Tomorrow (later today, lol) I'll use my mom's computer and see if that one has issues with BL.

I last restarted my modem and router maybe a month or so ago? Every once in awhile it fucks up and needs to be restarted. Have had tech support out here many times and their "readers" (for lack of a better term) don't detect any issues with our lines or with their modem (they can't really test the router)... But yeah, everything seems "fine" on their end. Yet the Internet goes down every couple weeks and a hard reset (right term?) of the modem and router's the only way to fix it. THAT issue is not just my computer--My mom's and my old computer both don't have Internet either. And having a computer wired to the modem/router doesn't help either as my mom's was like that for awhile.

If it is my computer, I'll look into getting Chrome. Well, I'm going to look into getting that anyways. If that doesn't solve the problem, I'll look into a liveCD--Though I honestly have no idea what that means (I'm guessing where you run your system from the disc drive).

But yeah, restarted my computer a few hours ago and came on here (well, attempted to...): Main page didn't want to load. Tried five times then gave up 'til now where the main page loaded seamlessly, this forum loaded seamlessly, then this thread took quite a few tries...

If another computer run on your home network has the same problems w/ BL that your laptop has, than a live CD isn't going to help. That was just something you could do as an alternative to testing if another computer has the same issues. But either by a 2nd computer or alternative OS having the same problem or not having the problem we'll have somewhat isolated where the problem is.

Did you try using an alternative DNS server as alasdairm suggested early in this thread? Google instructions
OpenDNS

DNS servers other than your ips's are usually a little slower because u have to go "further" to fetch the info. But it might help w/ the BL situation.

Try the Chrome first as its the easiest. Most recent stuff I've read about FF having problems with vBulletin are about WYSIWYG editing making FF slow or buggy which doesn't apply here because BL has that feature shutoff.

Last edited:
^I had tried changing my DNS server--Tried OpenDNS and Google's DNS. Neither helped. Posted about that quite a few back.

Never tried BL on my mom's computer--Went right to Chrome. It's unbelievable how fast this forum is now. However, I have noticed other sites are slower with Chrome. But, I've noticed sites have been loading quicker the more I visit 'em (which makes sense 'cause of stored info. and whatnot).

So, the issue seems to be resolved (finally!). But, we'll see. I'm going to give it a couple days, then post back here. ET, I owe ya one. Even though now I have to get used to a new browser, lol.

This thread has prompted me to try Chrome again. It will take a bit of getting used to but seems to the few pages I've tried (eg smh.com.au) load pages quicker than firefox did. Bluelight is still a bit slow, and just as slow as in FF... but it's kinda always been like that.

I wonder if there was a notable difference in how quick BL loads after the prune a while back. From memory, that was the reason for the purge...