• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

My garden / Post your plants

Seventeen

Bluelighter
I didn't know where to post this, so I figured homeless threads was the best place for it.

The reason behind this thread is that, all in all, I feel bluelight has a much nicer feel to it than the shroomery, which was my other forum of choice. I built up quite a reputation there, specifically in the mushroom hunting and ethnobotanical garden forums and, while I prefer this forum in almost every sense, I do miss any posting regarding growing ethnobotanicals/plants in general.

I figured, therefore, that showing you my plants and encouraging anyone to share their own flora would be a good move to make.

Without further ado,

Enjoy - there are more, just can't find on PC.

Post your own!

Nice pics. That passionflower is just gorgeous--I'd love to grow some like that when I move somewhere more hospitable for gardening. For now I'll have to be satisfied with my tincturing experiments on that beauty.

Also, you're damn lucky to live in a place where L. williamsii isn't controlled.

My latest "obsession" has been growing sesame. They are taking so long to dry out for harvest, but it's a joy to watch the bees at the flowers all day.

IMG_3230.jpg

IMG_3226.jpg

Wow that sesame looks wonderful, I'd like to get one of those. What hardiness zone do you live in? Do you think it would survive in the UK? I have a conservatory that all my tropicals grow in.

This year I'm hoping to grow:
Chilies (again; naga jolokia and any other random types)
Datura metel, Datura stramonium
A Brugmansia sp
Vanilla orchid
More passionflower (I too want to experiment with some tinctures; I've only made tea)
Dagga
and pretty much anything else possible

I have a load of Nicotiana alata and rustica growing in my garden too, it was fun curing tobacco last year.

I've also got a couple of other 'useful' plants growing - namely a fairly sizeable opuntia that I'm hoping will fruit this year (prickly pear) and a slowely growing Mimosa verucosa.

I'll take some more snaps at some point, this is maybe 1/3rd of my plants.

Also, you're damn lucky to live in a place where L. williamsii isn't controlled.

With regards to this: I know, I take it for granted a bit. I'm going to get a couple more soon and put them in a great terracotta pot I have that's just begging for a group. I'm not sure what the rules of this forum are with regards to suggesting how you could possible get around any restrictions, but other Lophophora species are legal in USA and other controlled countries - L. diffusa, L. fricii and the newly discovered L. alberto-vojtechii.

Thanks for the feedback.

Last edited:
FWIW, I've been making my passionflower tinctures based on Charles W. Kane's Herbal Medicine of the American Southwest, with dry plant material in a 50% alcohol solution (190 proof ethyl alcohol diluted with distilled water) at a ratio of 1:5. One solid dose is about a teaspoon.

And thank you for that great resource. Unfortunately, it links to some vendors so perhaps it'd be best to remove it.

Oh really? They are strict on here aren't they. Okay, I'll remove the link in a second. It's pretty easy to find information about the mentioned species anyway.

They are, but I think it's a good measure to protect both Bluelight and the vendors. The latter are easy enough to find anyway, and there are plenty of other forums elsewhere that allow people to rate and discuss them.

I wasn't complaining, just commenting. I have no problem not talking about vendors, like you said, there are other forums for that.

Another peyotl picture I think. Sorry about the size, may take a while to load.

NSFW:
dsc0048s.jpg

there are countries that don't permit you to own mescaline containing cacti?

Very nice plants OP, and welcome to BL.

I just started a small garden on the deck at my new place and I love it. My favorite plant this year would have to be the pineapple sage.

Seventeen, I reside in the tropics. I'm not sure about zones and stuff, but I'm from the lowlands. Subtropical and the occasional temperate plant grows in the highland areas. Sesame has been cultivated in subtropical areas as well, but there they are seasonal.

Your plants are all beautiful, and no doubt useful! ;)

I have wild passionflower (p. foetida) in my garden as well. They grew from bird droppings. The fruit is great, the flowers, not nearly as beautiful, but the bracts add an element.

IMG_3621-1.jpg

IMG_3627-1.jpg

Ohh man I'm gonna have to throw some pics up. I have my first organic garden this year consisting of:

broccoli
a few different strains of tomatoes
cauliflower
brussel sprouts
leaf lettuce
eggplant
cucumbers
zucchini
bell peppers
habaneros
jalapenos
chiles + various other peppers
watermelon
cannabis

I tasted a zucchini yesterday with some lettuce and one of my stunted cauliflowers. It was bangin! I also think my cannabis plant is a female, although I really feel like it is too early to show sex, but I see a calyx with a little hair coming out. It is so exciting! except I live with my grandparents and my grandma ripped out my plants 2 years ago (had two cannabis plants along with a bunch of garden veggies in pots).

I really love gardening. I think my garden will be double the size next year, complete with an herb garden and a bunch of new additions like potatoes, onions, carrots, strawberries, and hopefully I'll get a pear tree going. I already have 3 apple trees out back along with a mulberry bush that is currently producing berries. Damn are they amazing or what.

This year's specials for me are the 8 healthy Padron chillies about to go out into growbags. They'd be better in a green house , but there you go. Fried whole in olive oil and dressed with sea salt, they are gorgeous. and as an added thrill, about 1 in 10 is blindingly hot!

I'm rather partial to my Aloe's. The last ones are my only chili's to successfully germinate this year. Bit disappointing, but they are birdseye chili's and are often a little hotter than you're ever expecting =D

Nice aloes - i've got some Haworthias that i'll post some photos of when i get home next.

That passionflower is lovely, i've just taken some more cuttings of P. caerules and am hoping they'll take; i'm going to create a structure for it to climb over, can't wait.

Cheers for the responses, will post some more photos soon.

those are some mad cool plants there 17 and dterg! i'd love some buttons but those take soooooo longgggg to growwww... if i could find a good source for san pedro i'd definitely get some but most of what i can find locally are haggard and i can't be sure if they're the mescaline type. there are two species right?

right now i have an indoor aloe going too, was thinking of putting it into a bigger pot but since it likes to spread out i don't think i could deal with that.

aloe.jpg

i also had a little herb garden going but this year it was mobbed by an unstoppable jungle of wild raspberries. here's the first pick of today's harvest

raspb.jpg

after some repeat trips i wound up with 5x more and a total weight of 3kg. there's hundreds more that are ripening and have yet to ripen, at this point my biggest concern is figuring out what to do with it all.

the scariest part is i don't even maintain it at all, it gets literally everything from nature; nutrients (from fast-decomposing rabbit poop), sunlight (am to pm) and water (rain). next year i'm going to cut it down to a third and flank what remains with wild blueberry (from the east coast) and strawberry (hopefully from the west coast). ya, i'm a berry freak :D

Last edited:
summer2010021.jpg

summer2010017.jpg

summer2010016.jpg

summer2010020-1.jpg

So There's my tomato plant (a baby, obviously - on my balcony), basil, curly leaf parsley, and a flower w/ a name I don't have time to go read -smaller in size and a bit cartoonish to switch it up.

those are some mad cool plants there 17 and dterg! i'd love some buttons but those take soooooo longgggg to growwww... if i could find a good source for san pedro i'd definitely get some but most of what i can find locally are haggard and i can't be sure if they're the mescaline type. there are two species right?

Well, san pedro are Echinopsis pachanoi or more commonly (and previously) Trichocereus pachanoi. This is just one species of cactus, though there is much debate about what the true pachanoi looks like - what most people have is known as a Backeburg clone and is possible a hybrid of mutliple Echinopsis/Trichocereus species. Both Bkbg clones and 'true' pachanoi contain good quantities of mescaline.

Peruvian torches, which I guess was the other 'pedro' you mentioned are an alternate species, Echinopsis peruviana or Trichocereus peruvianus. Again there is some trouble with what constitutes a 'true' Peruvian torch, mainly due to a botanist called Karel Knize (KK) messing up the names of specimens. Torchs contain a good amount of mescaline too, potentially the most of all trichs; however this can be variable or even very little if the 'torch' you buy/grow turns out to be an inactive member of the genus, for example a cuzcoensis.

Echinopsis langiforma or Trichocereus bridgesii (achuma) are the way to go - both beautiful cacti to grow and with a good, reliable amount of mescaline if well grown. I have a load of bridgesii seedlings that will, in a few years, be huge and spiny.

Anyway, now for some succulents:

NSFW:

dsc0029038.jpg

dsc0030039.jpg

dsc0031040.jpg

These are all Haworthia species, I believe.

The following two are my M. verucosa and some Nicotiana alata:

NSFW:
dsc0032041.jpg

dsc0020037.jpg

Enjoy