• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Codeine potentiation and synergy thread

Valerian sounds interesting, I'm thinking of trying out mulungu and kava (kavalactones in pill form unfortunately) with codeine sometime.

Hopefully the quinine doesn't kill the buzz too much, for what it's worth I was using codeine daily whilst on sertraline and that's a CYP2D6 inhibitor, didn't affect it too much for me though and it's listed as a clinically significant inhibitor on my CYP450 chart. Quinine isn't listed but quinidine is also listed as clinically significant.

Yeah, I will probably give valerian a go but I don't have high hopes for myself. I think it might be most useful to those who don't have access to benzo's like I have. I honestly tried to use it for sleeping a few years ago and noted no appreciable sedation, but I have read reports of people who found it useful for sleeping.

I ate an entire bottle of valerian and felt zero effects. The Kava pills make my mouth go all numb but dont really get anything from them either.

Nice thread d_m, you've covered a heap of potentiators there, cheers for the info.

One not on the list that I've used for potentiating codeine on occasion is seroquel (quetiapine), an atypical antipsychotic with very sedating properties. From my experience there was no increased euphoria or 'mood lift', perhaps a very slight added body buzz through the extra sedation. But the main reason I sometimes use it for potentiating is the greatly increased sedation which increases the likelihood of entering 'the nod'. Seroquel on its own has zero recreational properties, pretty much only useful for medicating psychotic illnesses or killing amphetamine/other stimulant comedowns and causing heavy sedation.

One problem is that the seroquel can easily overpower the codeine if dosed too highly, pretty much just sending you straight to sleep (which could be quite dangerous!). I'd recommend no more than 20mg without tolerance.

Others I can add;

Clonazepam (benzo) - Same as you've described for diazepam though less muscle relaxation, but very anxiolytic with a subtle underlying calmness (long half-life). Start with 0.5mg with a low or no tolerance.

Oxazepam (benzo) - Quite anxiolytic and I find to be more sedating than diazepam or clonazepam, seems to make me feel depressed the next day compared to other benzos. Overall a weak benzo, though that makes it a little safer to mix with codeine before trying stronger benzos. I'd recommend starting with 30mg for potentiation without tolerance. Half-life somewhere between alprazolam and clonazepam.

Dexamphetamine - Similar to what you've described for methamphetamine.

Can't think of any others at the moment.

Last edited:
I had a mexican valerian tablet last week and woke up feeling awesome. I have to say that it tasted like ass though...lol...and literally smelt like mould 8o

I like your work with this thead d_m....I've decided that Codeine is going to be my next recreational pursuit, so this information is going to be of utmost assistance :

keep it coming!

Ha ha... really hyroller?

You have never had it orrrr .. you just wanna start abusing haha.. Seriously its not worth it. Its pointless being addicted to such a thing. In the end (a few weeks haha) your not even getting high..just staving off withdrawls. Of course i cant speak for everyone..but you kinda become obsessed with it and end up checking this thread every 5 minutes like mr blonde and such haha..

Its annoying.. plus your gf hassles you. :p .. im aware your a woman..i hope...if not my bad. lol

I am thinking I might try the tonic water this week, maybe PST, imodium or valerian. Not too bloody keen on the tonic water after reading the article I posted (thanks to footscrazy for linking me to that article btw) but I will risk wasting a buzz at some point in the name of science.

Don't do it man, codeine blocks me up like cement. I wouldn't throw immodium into the mix too!

hyroller said:
...I've decided that Codeine is going to be my next recreational pursuit, so this information is going to be of utmost assistance

Not worth it hyroller, especially if you were thinking of taking it regularly. Save it for special occasions with a few beers when you really need to relax.

Nice thread d_m :)

^yeah i'd definitely avoid taking immodium while on any other opiates, save them for withdrawals or maybe counteracting the sorbitol in riko. that combo would cause some chronic constipation! no shit;)

valerian, never had any luck with that myself even in the couple of grams range, though it puts my mum out like a light and i've read other peoples reports highlighting it's calming effects. i'm pretty sure i've seen studies that suggests efficacy as a sleep aid or anti-anxiety medicine. seems very hit and miss, imo.

Lately I have been so tolerant to codeine that half the time I don't even have a bother shitting the next day... It used to block me up shockingly but not nowadays so much. What interests me about imodium is people saying it is active on its own, and speculation that things like GFJ and tonic water which can be (possibly) useful for potentiating codeine also help imodium cross the BBB.

Thanks heaps puck boy, I gotta head off just now but I will add some of your post into the original one when I get a chance. I have access to/possess seroquel and I might try it with codeine, a mate told me it sucked but they probably just overshot it. No idea how i am going to get 20mg out of a 300mg tablet though. :p

TrippAR said:
You have never had it orrrr .. you just wanna start abusing haha.. Seriously its not worth it. Its pointless being addicted to such a thing. In the end (a few weeks haha) your not even getting high..just staving off withdrawls. Of course i cant speak for everyone..but you kinda become obsessed with it and end up checking this thread every 5 minutes like mr blonde and such haha..

Lol shut the fuck up TrippAR. ;)

Hyroller, I would recommend trying it, it is nice and relaxing and if you haven't done opioids before it's a good place to start. Everyone else is right about avoiding a habit though, for most people you can't dose above 450-600mg without hitting the ceiling effect, I'm at 1 gram right now with no ceiling effect even up to 2grams but the WD do suck and it is costing me too much and is too much hassle right now to visit so many pharmacies.

ETA:

puckboy said:
One not on the list that I've used for potentiating codeine on occasion is seroquel (quetiapine), an atypical antipsychotic with very sedating properties. From my experience there was no increased euphoria or 'mood lift', perhaps a very slight added body buzz through the extra sedation. But the main reason I sometimes use it for potentiating is the greatly increased sedation which increases the likelihood of entering 'the nod'. Seroquel on its own has zero recreational properties, pretty much only useful for medicating psychotic illnesses or killing amphetamine/other stimulant comedowns and causing heavy sedation.

One problem is that the seroquel can easily overpower the codeine if dosed too highly, pretty much just sending you straight to sleep (which could be quite dangerous!). I'd recommend no more than 20mg without tolerance.

I don't know about you but I find the sedation from antipsychotics very dysphoric, I have been on risperidone and now ziprasidone but not quetiapine. The ziprasidone isn't as sedating but it still has this dysphoric edge to it that I hate, and I hate the fatigue as well. I guess I need to take it though. :\

ETA II - Electric Boogaloo: Antipsychotics might also remove some of the euphoria due to dopamine antagonism, I haven't noticed this too bad with codeine though.

Last edited:
^
Yeah, I also find the effects of antipsychotics quite unpleasant, the sedation can feel hollow, empty or dysphoric as you say. Theres definitely nothing recreational about them.

The reason I mentioned seroquel in this thread is because of codeine being in the more sedating group of opiates (for me atleast) compared to something like oxycodone for example which I find much less sedating and would not bother to add seroquel to it. I haven't mixed the two but I have a feeling seroquel would mess up an oxy high.

Much of the buzz I get from codeine is related to its sedating, 'dopey' effects which I find a little seroquel can potentiate. Theres no increase in the actual opiate euphoria though. Need to start low with the dose as it could easily overpower and kill the codeine buzz if dosed too high.

I should add I've got a high tolerance to both codeine and seroquel. Don't bother with it unless you have a high codeine tolerance and want some extra sedation.

^ I've noticed from OD over the years that seroquel, unlike other antipsychotics, is sometimes prescribed for insomnia, so maybe it has less of the dysphoric effect then other antipsychotics? Not sure... I dosed some codeine today and didn't notice my ziprasidone adding any sedation, the psychs put me on ziprasidone on purpose though to try and minimize sedation for me. If anything the codeine has woken me up a bit thankfully. :D

So I added in your contribution puck boy, cheers for that. I also stuck in some basic links on most of the drugs listed and found the scheduling of all the CYP2D6 inducers except one. They all seem to be schedule 4.

Still undecided which new potentiator to try tommorrow, to be honest puck boy has me hell curious on adding some seroquel, but as far as the progression of this document goes, trying something already in there would hinder it so I might save it for the next time I slip up and use more than once in the week.

It doesn't seem like any of these CYP2D6 inducers are available to your average Joe, which is a god damned shame. I was extremely keen on trying some of them out, still good to have the list there in case someone luckier than I happens upon some of them. That is an experiment I would LOVE to hear about.

One I forgot to include on the to do list is amitriptyline, it is a tricyclic antidepressant that is sometimes used as a sleep aid. Not really sure I can get my hands on some, but assuming I do it is well worth a go. I am off to bed and just thought of this one, I will edit it into the original post but give me a day or two to look up drug interactions etc. cheers.

^ My brother is/was prescribed amitriptyline for migraines, his friends use it with codeine to add sedation.

It's a substrate of CYP2D6, so it could possibly tie up some of the enzyme but my brothers friends have never commented on any such effect when I've asked them.

One I forgot to include on the to do list is amitriptyline, it is a tricyclic antidepressant that is sometimes used as a sleep aid. Not really sure I can get my hands on some, but assuming I do it is well worth a go. I am off to bed and just thought of this one, I will edit it into the original post but give me a day or two to look up drug interactions etc. cheers.

I have some amitriptyline around, my doctor gave it to me to try for neuropathic pain, how is it supposed to interact with codeine? Or is it just a matter of increased sedation?

Lol shut the fuck up TrippAR. ;)

Hyroller, I would recommend trying it, it is nice and relaxing and if you haven't done opioids before it's a good place to start. Everyone else is right about avoiding a habit though, for most people you can't dose above 450-600mg without hitting the ceiling effect, I'm at 1 gram right now with no ceiling effect even up to 2grams but the WD do suck and it is costing me too much and is too much hassle right now to visit so many pharmacies.
I've yet to hit a wall, I've taken up to 1.2g. I've always had to take more than most would to feel it though. I'm going to assume hyroller or anyone reading this understands the dangers of taking high dosages such as these and is not going to take 450mg straight up.

I've always just used alcohol to potentiate the effects but will have to give some of these a go. There was a time when I was able to get valium but not anymore.

What do you guys reckon? Codeine + a LOW dose of mushrooms? Anyone tried this before?

^ LSD and codeine though is a hell of a combination, I was feeling warm and fuzzy when I started peaking on the acid and it was like all the good feelings of codeine were potentiated a hell of a lot!