Best Album Of All Time

f#a# oo, loveless, geogaddi, and unknown pleasures are all fantastic contenders......it's good to see (some of) us bluelighters have good taste in music.

those are all really great choices; for me it'd be "Dots & Loops" by Stereolab. i'll admit, i've been listening to Stereolab obsessively as of late so this will change eventually.

its hard to choose between genres... u know... ike...I want to mention more electronic music like Ultravisitor or even the combination of old tunes on Burnig'n Tree.....

but.... then theres The Chronic..... and Enta the Stage..... and Follow the Leader... and Criminal Minded....Krs-One and Buckshots new Survival Skills (IF YOU HAVENT HEARD IT YOU HAVENT HEARD ANYTHING)

Ive mentioned my extreme attraction to JEff Beck's music many times on bluelight.....

Doggystyle
Doggfood

36 Chambers
LIQUID SWORDS
ONLY BUILT FOR CUBAN LINX.....
IRON MAN
The Return to the 36 Chambers..... that album had some of the best shit ever for rizzle
Anythig Killah Priest even thinks is fucking knowledge we should all know, but especially is debut Heavy Mental
Silent Weapons for Quiet Wars!!!....ooooo weeeeeeeeeee (Free Killa SIn!!!0
All Killarmy shit

I cant even pick my favorite G Rap album... prolly Wanted Dead or Alive

Da Shinin'
Soul on Ice
Let's Get Free
ALL RADIOHEAD MUSIC
6 Feet Deep (Niggermortis for you europeans; lucky fucks)
Piper at the Gates.... Syd is a special entity

Soul Food
Still Standing
Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik
ATLiens
Aquemini
Stankonia

The Infamous
East 1999 and Eternal
Satisfy My Soul Jah
Dead Prez mix tapes will teach you a lot about what the world is doig to you....so just turn of the radio, turn off that bull shit

Dave Mathews first 5 albums because Steve Lillwhite produced them and Tim Reynolds played a HUGE role in the arrangement and direction of the songs... and Tim made sure that everyone was mad stones 24/7 (NO JOKE)... I've smoked with Ti Reynolds... he is the epitome of psychadelia

His second published and released album was a spontaneous collaboration album called "Sticks and Stones A Collection of Spontaneous Improvisations," but is now out of print....

that was in '93... he did a lot then, thats why he didnt actually join the Dve Matthews Band... they wated hi to... and the only good album witout him was shelved because it was leaked.... Depression brought out by a true artist and amazing song writer can be the best shit ever... the last Dave matthews work with Steve illywhite... maybe some day...

anyway...in 1993, Tim Reynolds released an album called "Stream" which was done with an accoustic guitar, i think maybe just a volume pedal and a mic (of course), all i one take and it is mind blowing....

Meiso from DJ Krush (1995)

Music has the right
do EP's count... cause boards has a bunch of good ones
you fucing balloon

Incunabula
GRantz Graf...i know its an EP but.....

Bricolage
Permutation
Supermodified
The Bridge

All alice in chains up to when Mike Starr left (including the self-titled album, sort of)

T.H.U.G. .L.I.F.E. is the best music ever done by Tupac Amaru Shakur... the only peeps who come close... and very close at that, are Dead Prez

Strictly 4 my N.I.G.G.A.Z.
2Pacalypse Now

At the Speed of Life would be near the bottom
40 days and 40 nights

The New Deal

21 & Over
Likwidiation

40oz. to Freedom
Siblme
ALL SUBLIME

Bobby digital in stereo cause his lovin' is digital

Blackout!
Muddy Waters is pretty good

EArly Phish
Early Dead

Prince Paul Beats

Early Beatles... like Beatles for Sale is the best

Jeff Beck with the Yardbirds before Jimy tried to stel a show he had no right to be a part of

illmatic
Nine Livez
Doe or Die

Hell on Earth
Some stuff is too new, if that makes sense... but anything Killah priest touches is fucking knowledge, whether it be with the Macabees, New and Old Sunz of Man, the Four Hoursemen....

Cilvaringq album l and his "Demo" Have sword will travel will show a westerner what its like te be in Lebanon real quick, if you actually liste to in..... i mean, who names a song"Fuck America?"

But thats becase thats what he hears all day every day

oh yeah.... Da Storm

A bunch of Weather Report abums

ummmcan;t sleep on Redman;s first three albums, especilly Muddy waters and the first Supamanluva is the SHIT!!!

aght

BED

peace

change my answer, because apparently my most listened to album is

Lovage: Music to make love to your old lady by

that must be the best album of all time

2Pac_Makaveli-The_Don_Killuminati_front.jpg

Happy Birthday, Tupac Amaru Shakur!

I would say, no matter how hard it may be, Explosions In The Sky - "All Of A Sudden I Miss Everyone".

There are so many to choose from I had to pick one.

Campfire Headphase is better than Geogaddi? (in your opinion?

Yes, but don't get me wrong, I absolutely adore Geogaddi. Its honestly hard to really rate one above the other unless your basing it off your moods at the current time. Though my favorite boards songs is on CHP (Hey saturday sun) which gives it an edge.

f# a# oo - godspeed you black emperor

hard to choose a best one, but i decided to settle on this one 12 years ago

Their entire discography is so untouchable it's hard to rate one album over another.

But in my opinion the best album of all time is Arcade Fire's Funeral.
/indie kid

Come out and live in a religious community in a beautiful place out in the country.

In a Silent Way - Miles Davis

Of course my favorite album 'of all the time' switches 'all of the time'%)

but really, NOTHING in the history of recorded sound has approached what Miles Davis did on this album. I have listened to it hundreds and hundreds of times and I will always find something new (really this is an amazing characteristic of jazz in general, in more general you could say it is a characteristic of all music)

BUT, 'In a Silent Way' is somewhere off of the map. And of course it was all improvised, on the spot, apparently recorded in one day. You can almost see them, three keyboardists, drummer and Miles, down on 30th Street, in that studio. It must have been dimly lit. I wonder what time it was. I would hurt the defenseless to see a video of the session. The guitar which wanders in and around, subtly directing, with the keys in easy competition behind it. And then Miles comes in with that trumpet solo, which is IMO the best solo in recorded music, and that takes everything over. You can feel the other musicians noticing that something special is happening there, as they try fail and gloriously succeed in providing the accompaniment.

IT IS Jazz. It is pure jazz because it is pure music, written by the instantaneous mood and moment, people locked together in the goal of simply existing. That is jazz. But traditional jazz has all of it's idioms and it's lexicon of feeling and expression. 'In a Silent Way' is jazz music, instant music, broken free from any of the previous conventions that held and still hold what jazz expression is and should be.

That is the definition of it. But on the emotional side, 'In a Silent Way' goes somewhere that is both never reached and constantly known. What I mean by that broad and seemingly crapoala statement is that the album finds a piece of expression that although it is with us all of the time, never gets articulated. Honestly I believe that there are infinitely many of these expressions. That is the wonder of Jazz.

Apologies if this is all too cerebral. It's a cerebral album. But more than that, in the way of the best way of the cerebral, it is just as good on the surface as it is further and further below. Throw into the mix that it was done by one of the 20th century's best musicians, at his creative peak, in a time of creative explosion and uncertainty, brimmed and edging with the changing of every convention. And that is why I pick this album as the best of all time.

Edit: Really it is Track 1: 'Shhh- Peaceful', that I am talking about.

Last edited:
Loveless and Music Has the Right to Children are definitely contenders, but it's really impossible for me to choose a best album of all time...