View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

How does mescaline work?

sheepie

Bluelighter
I know, basically, MDMA releases serotonin, LSD & Psilocin both "pretend" to be serotonin. I can't seem to find how mescaline works. Anyone?

from Wiki:

Mescaline acts similarly to other psychedelic agents. It binds to and activates the serotonin 5-HT2A receptor with a high affinity as a partial agonist. How activating the 5-HT2A receptor leads to psychedelia is still unknown, but it likely somehow involves excitation of neurons in the prefrontal cortex.

What any of that means: I have no clue. I do know, however, that I'll be enjoying a low dose tonight (check for my TR) :D

So it doesn't drain serotonin.

That means it takes the good of MDMA, adds a natural and psychedelic twist, and prevents monday blues (and thus is less likely to cause neurotoxicity)? Pretty much everyone says it's better than MDMA...

Doesn't it seem like the perfect drug? It must be pretty damn hard to synthesize. I can imagine it being in high demand.

Thoughts?

I don't see where you're getting the MDMA comparison from, apart from that they're both phenethylamines. Mescaline hasn't been shown to release serotonin the way MDMA does.

Mescaline certainly does produce the positive effects of MDMA (extreme empathy, euphoria, slight stimulation) at lower to medium doses. No hangover-- I'd say the days after are the opposite of a hangover: new appreciation of food combinations, brighter colors, more appreciate of nature.

At high doses, mescaline is a full blown psychedelic experience. My last big dos resulted in radical world-view shift. I was in a fragile state for maybe a day or two afterwards. No depression however, simply a re-imagining of the structure of existence.

It could be just this psychedelic forum (I presume you guys take pretty high doses). But from what I've read all over the internet, mescaline seems to be a more natural and overall better experience than MDMA - yet still very close to MDMA.

Perhaps I am wrong, but I was led to believe it could be used as an MDMA substitute because they are so similar. I, personally, feel that I would prefer mescaline. Although I have never tried it.

So my question is why isn't mescaline so popular?

Any cactus containing mescaline are legal to buy... for decorative purposes.

As for its lack of popularity: I have no clue. Nearly every person I've talked to about mind-altering drugs (in real life) says, "what's that?" when I mention mescaline.

It is easy to obtain, easy to prepare, and easy to consume.

Bad trips are virtually unheard of and it is extremely gentle while producing visuals, empathy, euphoria, and synesthesia.

Mescaline certainly does produce the positive effects of MDMA (extreme empathy, euphoria, slight stimulation) at lower to medium doses. No hangover-- I'd say the days after are the opposite of a hangover: new appreciation of food combinations, brighter colors, more appreciate of nature.

At high doses, mescaline is a full blown psychedelic experience. My last big dos resulted in radical world-view shift. I was in a fragile state for maybe a day or two afterwards. No depression however, simply a re-imagining of the structure of existence.

That's exactly what I'm saying. Sorry I posted my last post before I read this.

It seems that mescaline totally blows MDMA away in all aspects.

Still, I've been searching for mescaline everywhere. No luck (Canada).

Everywhere is either reported as a scam or there's always some catch. It also seems to be ridiculously expensive. Some ~100$ for one good dose

You really need to extract it yourself or find a friend with enough chemistry knowledge and equipment to perform an a/b extraction.

High-dose mescaline is not really gentle at all, but without at least an alcohol extract it's damn near impossible to get yourself to a high dose.

You really need to extract it yourself or find a friend with enough chemistry knowledge and equipment to perform an a/b extraction.

High-dose mescaline is not really gentle at all, but without at least an alcohol extract it's damn near impossible to get yourself to a high dose.

Not really sure where you're coming from with this...

Everyone's physical and mental composition is different. Dosages that do nothing for other people consistently produce heavy effects for me-- no matter the psychedelic considered.

Simple chop and boil of 12 inches produces very intense results. (TR can be read here: http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=473844&highlight=substancecode_mescaline )

No chemistry knowledge is needed, and you can purchase cacti for decoration and ornamental purposes at hardware stores.

The difference in potency of the cactus is dramatic however, so 12" of your cactus could equate to 24" of another persons... alkaloid content depends on age, how the cactus been grown, stress the cactus has endured etc.

I've got a load of decorational trichocereus cacti, along with a peyote (i'm in england, we're allowed), which I'd never eat as they're merely a hobby. I'd one day soon like to try a mescaline trip however.

I've got a load of decorational trichocereus cacti[...], which I'd never eat as they're merely a hobby. I'd one day soon like to try a mescaline trip however.

same here. i bought them for the mescaline, but can't bring myself to cut them down :(

@changed
i think you miss an "r" at the end of your location. wikipedia isn't always right ;)

@changed
i think you miss an "r" at the end of your location. wikipedia isn't always right ;)

can you type it out for me?

I'm shocked somebody knows Sanskrit, and pointed it out mere hours after I changed it.

So it doesn't drain serotonin.

That means it takes the good of MDMA, adds a natural and psychedelic twist, and prevents monday blues (and thus is less likely to cause neurotoxicity)? Pretty much everyone says it's better than MDMA...

Doesn't it seem like the perfect drug? It must be pretty damn hard to synthesize. I can imagine it being in high demand.

Thoughts?
As long as we're talking about pure mescaline, yes. But cacti contain a pretty huge cocktail of alkaloids, for example hordenine/peyocactin which is a norepinephrine releasing agent (random trivia: this compound is also an antibiotic that's been shown to kill penicillin-resistant bacteria recently). I don't know if there's any alkaloid that releases serotonin and/or dopamine in any of the mescaline-containing cacti, though, and those would be the ones you'd have to be more careful with.

As long as we're talking about pure mescaline, yes. But cacti contain a pretty huge cocktail of alkaloids, for example hordenine/peyocactin which is a norepinephrine releasing agent (random trivia: this compound is also an antibiotic that's been shown to kill penicillin-resistant bacteria recently). I don't know if there's any alkaloid that releases serotonin and/or dopamine in any of the mescaline-containing cacti, though, and those would be the ones you'd have to be more careful with.

Do you think it could be these other alkaloids that cause the MDMA-like feel (or at least amplify it)?

If I had the time, money, and knowledge, I would be so down to pull a Shulgin and test all the alkaloids of Peyote alone and in combination.

Still, I've been searching for mescaline everywhere. No luck (Canada).

Whereabouts in Canada? A lot of headshops across the nation sell dried cactus chips. Either San Pedro or Peruvian Torch. If you're remote, a little research will get you lots of online vendors.

Both cacti are legal to buy in Canada. The extraction of mescaline is illegal.

can you type it out for me?

I'm shocked somebody knows Sanskrit, and pointed it out mere hours after I changed it.

sure, it'd be: धर्मचक्र

but to say i know sanskrit would be an exaggeration. i can only read the script and know a little hindi.

So my question is why isn't mescaline so popular?

Because of nausea, stomach-cramps and it is impossible to sleep afterwards.

And you're have to do some kind of extraction. Cactus "tea" taste horrible.

Its not popular because it is relatively difficult to synthesize, and the amount you get from extraction is very low compared to the work that needs to be put in. basically, its not cost effective for the mass producers to fuck with. its much cheaper/easier to make MDMA, MDA, LSD, 2C-B, etc. And because its not on the mass market, and most druggies are relatively lazy, it doesnt get out there much.