Best software for DJ mixing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

John_Burrows

Bluelighter
What software do any of you desktop DJs like to use? I'm specifically talking about making mixes, not necessarily for playing live.

For over a decade I've used Samplitude, the first pc software ever that let you multitrack AND time stretch/compress, but it's really more geared towards "real" music production. I figure there's got to be more dance music focused stuff out there these days.

Let me know what you use and why you like it so much, maybe even post a link to a mix you made with it.

Thanks! I'll try to get one of my Samplitude mixes up and running...

im currently using traktor 3 on a sony vaio laptop hooked up to a behringer bcd3000 and sony mdr600 headphones,linked to a lexicon lambda external soundcard,which is wired to sony 5.1 amp with a pair of jpw speakers,a pair of jbl speakers and a single jamo centre speaker,i have to say im well pleased with this set up,only got it all set up and sorted out last week but the sound is really good etc.

Um, I wasn't so much looking for people to brag about their hardware as I was for some useful discussion of mixing software.

But hey thanks anyway, hope your gear doesn't get stolen by meth heads.

I personally think Ableton Live is the best for doing a studio mix, although ironically, i think its among the worst for doing live mixes. But having the ability to tweak the .wav files to exactly the right position and timing is very useful. Ive done all my mixes on abelton.

www.soundcloud.com/dj-highpants

if you listen, my first mix is at 140bpm, but the actual songs range from 107 to 189. Abelton does a nice job of making it consistent. my second one is all at 132, but i play a significant amount of psy that should be going at 140-145, and it still sounds perfect...well not perfect, cause they aren't spectacular mixes, but you know what i mean

Um, I wasn't so much looking for people to brag about their hardware as I was for some useful discussion of mixing software.

But hey thanks anyway, hope your gear doesn't get stolen by meth heads.

He wasn't really bragging, just stating what he uses.... and he recommended his choice of mixing software, so you don't have to come off like that.

Would we be able to discuss hardware here or no? Looking for some advice on hardware I wanted to pick up.

im using traktor pro for mixing
ableton live more production
and am working with a mate to link both of these together to be used in a live setting

I use torq. I use it because it came with my Xponent, it works fine, and it can do a fair bit of usual stuff. It's nothing special, but it does the job.

I think there is better stuff out there nowadays.

I use traktor pro to mix live, and Ableton to make mixes. Both are awesome.
@rincewindrocks - i agree with you that Ableton sucks for live mixing; unless you have gone through and warped all the tracks yourself before hand, but that's too much effort.

^^the sound is also a bit hollow and overproduced

tip my friend (an excellent dj and producer, step above the rest) apparently, because ableton is meant for live mixing (the program is called Abelton Live after all) 0 is actually +4, so you have to turn down all your levels to get a consistent sound

havent made a mix since he told me this though, so i dont know if its true, but he definitely knows his shit

I use virtual DJ because I am pro. Or more due to the fact I can't afford decks/vinyls at the moment, so instead got my mixer hooked up to the computer so I can use that and just use the VDJ to play my tunes really.

Yeah seems to do the trick, is alot easier being able to beat match when you can see the beat itself in the program.

Just aquired ableton last night after reading the thread, anyone know any good tutorials. I haven't got a freaking clue what I am doing :).

@CbRoXiDe: This site has some good videos to help you start out with abelton. http://www.sonicacademy.com/Training+Videos/
ALso the massive manual that comes with it is very helpful, but reallly reallly long, so i havent read it. once you get the basics though, i found that everything else is pretty intuitive. Are you going to use it to Mix or produce... or both?

@John Burrows: VDJ is pretty much like traktor or serato. it is mixing software and has up to 4 virtual decks that yuo drag tracks on to and then play like real turntables. if you have some hardware that lets you midi map the controls then yuo can essentially dj without every needing to burn cds or buy records. its pretty fun.

Basically just a software version of real decks really. So you can play mp3 instead of using vinyl I presume. It's really not that bad if i'm honest :D.

vdj.jpg

Traktor Pro with a Korg NanoKONTROL (really cheap, and as long as you're not too big on your effects it can control everything you'd want).

I'd love tracktor but with limited funds I just got a ION discover DJ thing for 80 quid and use the software that comes with it (mixvibes).

Actually it works pretty well with ASIO4All drivers. I use it pretty regularly to play live. It ain't top notch but it does what I need it to do at the moment anyway. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.