View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

[Mescaline Cactus Subthread] MAOI Potentiation

Magic_Hobo

Bluelighter
I have acquired 250grams of powdered Peruvian Torch cactus, and I am wondering how much I should eat for a moderate to strong trip.

I know cactus vary greatly in potency, but I just want a ballpark figure for a good dosage.

Also, I've heard the powder tastes absolutely vile. If there are any preperations to make the taste more tolerable, I would appreciate it.

I don't want to do a full out A/B extraction, mostly because I am too lazy. But, I would consider doing a small solvent extraction on a couple ounces of powder. I was planning to soak it in a solvent like isopropanol for 24 hours, then evaporate it and be left with mescaline freebase tar (among other things). This would be far from an A/B, but it would be more edible than the original product. Is this a reasonable plan? Is there any reason it would not work?

Thanks a lot.

I've heard that the iso extract works, leaving a kind of "fruit roll up" of alkaloids, but no where hear as good as an acid/base extraction.

I have never done either, although I have worked with Peruvian Torch powder many times. My prefered method, so far, is to simply capsulize the powder into 00 caps, each holding approximately 1 gram each. I have had significantly noticeable trips with as low as 15 grams, but much better overall experiences with upwards of 35 gram+

For a starter, to test the strength of the powder you should probably try 25-30 grams to "test the waters", so to speak.

I have also had much better trips by combining the cacti with a few grams of Syrian Rue, which can increase the cacti potency by up to 3 times.

Happy tripping!

Thanks for the quick responses, guys. I really appreciate it.

Downing dozens of capsules just doesn't appeal to me, so I think I will try the extraction with the IPA. I've been told this will get rid of the fibers, but it will leave the alkaloids and plant fats.

Either way, I'll start out with 30grams. Thanks a lot for the information about the Syrian Rue. I never knew combining an MAOI with Mescaline made it stronger, I've only heard of that with oral DMT.

Thanks a lot. I'll definately check out that link, and I'll use an MAOI when I trip.

You might want to lower the dose if your going to use Rue or another MAOI, as it will greatly increase the potency, possibly making it seam more like 90 grams, which could possibly be to intense for your first time.

Also, follow all the MAOI precautions when you try it.

Also, follow all the MAOI precautions when you try it.

be sure to read up on any information you can when using MAOIs with whatever drug you are attempting to potentiate, because it can be dangerous or even harmful in certain situations.

MAOI's are a definite no no with powdered cactus. There are many species of mescaline containing cacti (some very closely related to peruvian torch / san pedro and almost indistunguishable) that contain other alkaloids that cause serious complications when mixed.

I remember encountering a specimen sold legally in Japan marketed as san pedro but was actually one of those close cousins, it turned out to not be safe to mix with an MAOI. This is not something worth taking a chance with, dont fry your brains with serotonin syndrome, not fun at all.

theWorldWithin said:
MAOI's are a definite no no with powdered cactus. There are many species of mescaline containing cacti (some very closely related to peruvian torch / san pedro and almost indistunguishable) that contain other alkaloids that cause serious complications when mixed.

I remember encountering a specimen sold legally in Japan marketed as san pedro but was actually one of those close cousins, it turned out to not be safe to mix with an MAOI. This is not something worth taking a chance with, dont fry your brains with serotonin syndrome, not fun at all.

I think you are taking the "danger" slightly out of proportion.

Many people have safely and successfully combined Syrian Rue, as an MAOI with Mescaline-containing cacti, look at all the glowing reports (albeit several negative ones, as well) on erowid.

Many people think that Syrian Rue is as dangerous as other MAOI's, but Rue is highly reversible, and very selective to target MAOI-B.

I have had lots of experience mixing many drugs with Rue for potentiation, and I have never had as slight as a headache, even eating half a pound of cheese (tyramine-containing) to no ill effects. I have also taken several hundred milligrams of MDMA at the peak of a Mimosa/Syrian Rue trip, also with no ill effects.

Using an MAOI would probably be ok, provided that you took the proper precautions and made sure you were not on any medications or whatnot that interact poorly; however, I wouldn't suggest it for your first attempt.
edit: based on reports from other people on this thread, this combination may not always be safe. Many people have still reported glowing experiences with this combination. As usual, YMMV.

I would suggest a starting dosage of around 30g, no MAOI. If that seems too weak, experiment with a higher dose or add a small amount of an MAOI next time.

I've tried powdered cactus once. I made the unfortunate mistake of mixing it with water. Do not do this. It bloats up to a few times its dry volume of disgusting cactus slime. I parachuted about 20g worth of slime before one burst in my mouth and i stopped lest I vomit. I had a mild trip, not noticeably visual before smoking excessive amounts of pot.

I have mixed syrian rue with a trichocereus cactus... it was exceedingly crazy, but I wouldn't call it dangerous.

Tyramine has been reported present in some analyses of t. peruvianus. I think that's an indication that mixing maoi's with some trichocereus cacti may be dangerous indeed.

An acquaintance mixed some sort of plant-derived MAOI with san pedro a few years ago, and was probably very near having a serious incident. He felt an intense pressure in the head, skull-cracking headache, vomiting, etc.

Maybe if you knew you had pure mescaline it might be something to look into if you just really feel the need, but I would never take it with a raw plant extract or vegetable matter from one of those cacti.

You SHOULD NOT mix cacti and maoi's.San Pedro Cacti has tyramine in it which
should never be mixed w/ maoi. Just because people have done it doesnt mean
its right and they really should have done more research as tyramine is in the
cacti in moderate amounts.
I like to do a full mescaine extraction w/ sodium hydroxide etc, but an easy way
to get the usable alkaloids out of the cacti is:

Do a normal snot juice extraction then put the slime/juice in front of a fan
and wait till juice becomes dehydrated. There will be a brown crystally resin
left. Put in capsules or roll into balls and swallow.

THIS IS A GREAT TEK FOR PEOPLE WHO DONT LIKE TO USE CHEMISTRY OR
POLAR/NONPOLAR EXTRACTIONS!!

willow11 said:
Wouldn't that be REALLY dangerous, phenethylamine is not meant to be combined with MAOI's I thought.....?

Taking the cacti itself with an MAOI can be increadibly dangerous. They have tyramine, etc in them and you can end up causing a hypertensive crisis.

My rue + cactus trips have been very smooth and pleasant, with no hint of increased heart rate aside from that which mescaline causes. I would be very careful though, and keep the dose low if you want to try to do it. Also, if you have plenty of cactus I would definitely not use an MAOI because its only purpose is to lower the dose needed.

I might be willing to try capii vine with relatively pure mescaline, but if you look at the alkaloid profile of most mescaline containing cacti, they tend to contain alot of tyramine, so I will not risk it with a normal cactus tea. It is just not worth the risk when it works so well without the mao inhibition:\

well, mao-A doesnt really breakdown phenylethylamines as much as mao-B does. so. with a drug like moclobemide you should have a decent margin of safety, especially given that the inhibition is reversible, and any crisis that you encountered would be over after the drug wore off.

harmaline and harmine (reversible Mao-a inhibitor drugs) have been used traditionally, i think by people in the amazon, as a potentiator of cactus, so it's improbable that it is an extremely dangerous combination. I wouldnt go so far as to say it's 100% safe though. Something i'd only recommend for careful and educated users. Personally, i've used mescaline + moclobemide, and i find it to be sweet, but, there's definitely potentiation going on, so use a real real low dose.

I've heard low doses of Deprenyl don't feel toxic and dangerous with phenethylamine psychedelics like Mescaline. Low dose Deprenyl (less than 10 mg) is an MAO-b and as I recall MAO-b's are much safer combined with phen psychs than MAO-a's are. However, there's the fact people swear that a low dose of Syrian Rue (an MAO-a) feels quite fine and healthy with Mescaline (aside from the increased nausea). I wonder if the MAO-a Moclobemide would be safe with psychedelic phens.

I'm yet to find much if any info on how safe/effective it is to preload on Deprenyl before Tryptamine psychedelic experiences. Would Deprenyl better and more safely potentiate a Tryptamine at an MAO-b dose or an MAO-a dose (above 10 mg)? I'd like to try Deprenyl as a preloader to a mushroom, hbw or blotter experience.

harmaline and harmine (reversible Mao-a inhibitor drugs) have been used traditionally, i think by people in the amazon, as a potentiator of cactus, so it's improbable that it is an extremely dangerous combination. I wouldnt go so far as to say it's 100% safe though.

Yes MAOI potentiates mescaline QUITE A LOT.
Also can potentiate LSD and psilocybin.
So I would say, be very careful with the dosage of the phenethylamine.
Is there really a reason to try such a combo?

I have taken san pedro twice with an MAOI. I took much lower doses of the cactus of course. I was totally fine. It did add a little extra stimulation which didn't bother me particularly. But I do prefer the cactus on its own. The only reasons I see to combine them is for making your supply last longer.

I have seen a few people touting this combination but I haven't been able to dig up much information.

I have no ayahuasca experience, but I do have quite a bit with cacti extracts. I was wondering if anyone has tried this combination and can comment on how much they used of each and what the experience was like.