• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Favorite Quotes

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Hell is not a place you go if your not a Christian, it is the failure of your life's greatest ambition"- Immortal Technique

"One thing leads to another"? Not always. Sometimes one thing leads to the same thing. Ask an addict."- George Carlin

“To conquer oneself is a greater task than conquering others”

“Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without.”

Buddha

"For art to exist, for any sort of aesthetic activity to exist, a certain physiological precondition is indispensable: intoxication."

"God is a thought who makes crooked all that is straight."

"He who has a why to live can bear almost any how."

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."

"Is man one of God's blunders? Or is God one of man's blunders?"

"One should die proudly when it is no longer possible to live proudly."

"Ah, women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent."

"If there is a State, then there is domination, and in turn, there is slavery."

"He who desires to worship God must harbor no childish illusions about the matter but bravely renounce his liberty and humanity"

"From the naturalistic point of view, all men are equal. There are only two exceptions to this rule of naturalistic equality: geniuses and idiots."

"The passion for destruction is also a creative passion."

"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth."

"I'd rather be a rising ape than a fallen angel." - Terry Ptratchett

"I don't believe anything, but I have many suspicions." - Robert A. Wilson

"Holding a grudge is like swallowing poison and hoping the other person dies from it." - Unknown

I think of resentment as an indulgence. Kind of like junk food. To hate someone feels good on a really low level, but it's addictive and it makes you feel shitty. If you cannot stop resenting [someone] then I think it's fair to look at your resentment as an addiction that you must overcome in order to let go. - WhiskeyClone on the Shroomery

A Russian proverb states:

"Stare too hard at the past
And you're blind in one eye.

But ignore it completely
And you're blind in both."

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will keep you to keep your mouth shut." - Hemingway

"If you're going through hell, keep going." - ?

"If you can't beat them, arrange to have it done." Carlin(?)

"We'll burn that bridge when we come to it." - my girlfriend, ha

"'The world is a fine place and worth fighting for.' I agree with the second part."

Ernest Hemingway For Whom the Bell Tolls

Detective Sumerset (Morgan Freeman) iterates this as the last line in the movie Se7en

"We are, as a species, the only animal that not only destroys and pollutes its own habitat, but we continue to do so with knowledge of the fact, smug in our own belief that by some miracle we will be able to save ourselves after all around us has shriveled up and died.
I am, as a result of this, forever disappointed in life, because just as I start to feel happy about something I remember that I am, and cannot get away from the fact, a human being - literally the worst problem the earth has ever had."

Nick Baker, UK Naturalist

It's graduation time of the year and I came across a speech by Steve Jobs and one of the paragraphs really stuck out to me.

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary."

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."
Bertrand Russell

"The misery of a child is interesting to a mother, the misery of a young man is interesting
to a young woman, the misery of an old man is interesting to nobody.”
Eric Hoffer

“The man with a toothache thinks everyone happy whose teeth are sound. The poverty-stricken man makes the same mistake about the rich man.”
George Bernard Shaw

"I have learned to seek my happiness by limiting my desires, rather than in attempting to satisfy them."
John Stuart Mill

"Who lives longer: the man who takes heroin for two years and dies, or the man who lives on roast beef, water, and potatoes till ninety-five? One passes his twenty-four months in eternity. All the years of the beef-eater are lived only in time."
Aldous Huxley

"Religion isn't the opiate for the masses, religion is the placebo for the masses" Haha from House M.D...

Last edited:
This is one I found today, I should definitely try to keep a compilation of my favorite ones though.

"I think perfectionism is based on the obcessive belief that if you run carefully enough, hitting each stepping stone just right, you won't have to die. The truth is you will die anyway and that a lot of people who aren't even looking at their feet are going to do a whole lot better than you, and have a lot more fun while they're doing it" ~Anne Lamott

"He was born with the gift of laughter..and a sense that the world was mad." -Rafael Sabatini

“We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.” - Dr Seuss.

For those who haven't - you should definitely look up Dr Seuss quotes - so simple, yet so true, and have cross-generational appeal. <3

"Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense"

Chapman Cohen (1868 - 1954)

All it takes for evil to prosper is for good men to do nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.