• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Alcoholism Thread v. A sober life is a good life <3

Status
Not open for further replies.
^^^

It could be the caffeine intake with the Four Locos (never had that).

Anyways if you taper, I would suggest switching to a lower abv beverage without the caffeine.

Also, I always found that using opiates to quit meant that I would be drinking as soon as the opiates were gone... that is just me though.

These sorts of drinks are still relatively new, but to the drunk they feel significantly more poisonous to the body. Does anyone else have similar experience when drinking these sorts of beverages regularly? Honestly, two four locos hurt more the next day/morning/night than a full fifth of tequila used to be able to when it didn't linger in the system for over a day?

I don't get this either. I used to be able to get drunk, wake up with a horrific hangover, sleep it off and I'd be back to normal. Now I drink the same amount, and wake up with that wet, heavy feeling like I'm still boozed up, but sober. Then it takes almost a full 24hrs before I start to get entirely different symptoms than a hangover. It's more like a withdraw.. This happens now when I drink as little as 1 night, even after a sufficient break.

In some ways, I miss just getting hungover. Now I feel like when I drink, it becomes a part of me for way too long.

^^^

Kinda feel where you are coming from. I do not notice the effects that even 1 beer has on me the next unless I am not drinking much and or often. I still get hungover though, however not that often because I am more of a tolerance drinker (I do not drink to the point of heavy intoxication, but I still drink eveynight) then anything. My hangovers have gotten so bad that I cannot take them, so I cut myself off.

Last edited:
Those 4 loco drinks are poison. I feel completely trashed drinking one of those cans and I usually drink 6 to 18 beers. Its the caffeine and all those other energy blend craps they put in.

I feel like I am going to become an alcoholic some way, some how, no matter what I do. Drugs aren't socially "acceptable" at my school, but drinking is. The problem with me is quite simple; after one drink, I simply can't stop. It's either I'm drinking to get drunk, or not drinking at all. The summer is coming up and I know I'm most likely going to be drinking every day of the summer unless I go to Australia for a month.

To be honest I'm rather scared - I've been drunk two out of three days this week so far, and I can only see it getting worse until exams hit. I never liked drinking, but it seems like if everyone else does it, why not me? I feel like I can't say "No.". I know, in reality, I'm going to drink tomorrow at school. I know I'm also most likely going to drink after school, and carry this habit into the summer and drink everyday as well. I was never the drinker of the group, and I always preferred other drugs (I always thought I was going to be an opiate addict after my first dose of Codeine), but just like they say - addiction doesn't discriminate. Pretty much what I'm asking, is how do I still have the enjoyment of drinking, without actually drinking?

I feel like I am going to become an alcoholic some way, some how, no matter what I do. Drugs aren't socially "acceptable" at my school, but drinking is. The problem with me is quite simple; after one drink, I simply can't stop. It's either I'm drinking to get drunk, or not drinking at all. The summer is coming up and I know I'm most likely going to be drinking every day of the summer unless I go to Australia for a month.

To be honest I'm rather scared - I've been drunk two out of three days this week so far, and I can only see it getting worse until exams hit. I never liked drinking, but it seems like if everyone else does it, why not me? I feel like I can't say "No.". I know, in reality, I'm going to drink tomorrow at school. I know I'm also most likely going to drink after school, and carry this habit into the summer and drink everyday as well. I was never the drinker of the group, and I always preferred other drugs (I always thought I was going to be an opiate addict after my first dose of Codeine), but just like they say - addiction doesn't discriminate. Pretty much what I'm asking, is how do I still have the enjoyment of drinking, without actually drinking?

In my earlier posts I've sorts blogged my journey in trying to sober up but the truth is I can't go longer than 48 hours. While my usual amount to drink is a 6 to 18 beers, I only had 3 beers last night. I have been keeping my alcohol intake to a few cans max and only drink at night.

Yes you can still enjoy drinking, a few beers will make you feel good around your friends, just make sure you don't drink anymore when you are by yourself.

You say you been drinking 2 out of 3 days a week, can you please clarify? There are 7 days in a week.

If you can avoid drinking every single day, you will be 1 step ahead than a lot of alcoholics. You aren't at the point where you wake up sick and need a beer by noontime. I have and it SUCKS. I lost my gf, lost a big group of friends because of the way they saw me destroy myself and didn't want to associate with me.

I drank mostly out of my insomnia that has plagued me for the last 12 years and mostly because I could and out of sheer boredom.

I too have insomnia which is also why I drink at night. By drinking two out of three days of the week, I meant so far during the week, as my post was on Tuesday night. I ended up drinking at school on Wednesday like I thought, and was going to drink later in the night to sleep but I was already high and drinking disgusted me. Hopefully I don't get offered any drink today when I go and play poker at a buddies, but we'll see. Added to the fact that I've normally been drinking 4-5 nights out of the week for the past month, I've also been smoking weed a lot more - mostly every day since March break. I only really smoke/drink at night though, so I guess that helps.

If you've only been drinking for a month, you probably wont experience major wd symptoms if any at all. The longer you drink and the more times you try the quit, the wd's get worse and worse.

As I've said before, I've been trying to quit drinking but I have managed to keep it under a 6 pack and restrict myself to drinking only at night but eventually I have to quit this all together.

Doing pretty good, managed to not drink at the Parade for my Stanley Cup champs... taking it easy today.

Planning on drinking three or less beers per night starting tomorrow.

As I've said before, I've been trying to quit drinking but I have managed to keep it under a 6 pack and restrict myself to drinking only at night but eventually I have to quit this all together.

I'm at the same place, but I usually keep it too four or less. At first this was a major improvement, now I've been "stuck" here for a few months and its pissing me off.

yea and now that the world cup has started i feel obliged to drink for the rest of the month

I don't get this either. I used to be able to get drunk, wake up with a horrific hangover, sleep it off and I'd be back to normal. Now I drink the same amount, and wake up with that wet, heavy feeling like I'm still boozed up, but sober. Then it takes almost a full 24hrs before I start to get entirely different symptoms than a hangover. It's more like a withdraw.. This happens now when I drink as little as 1 night, even after a sufficient break.

In some ways, I miss just getting hungover. Now I feel like when I drink, it becomes a part of me for way too long.

it probably has to do with getting older.

i have been on neurontin for the last month or so for sciatica caused by a herniated disc, which means i can't really drink for the time being. i am usually pretty much fine with cravings, but not being able to drink is really making me want to go on a bender. fuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

I think I have a big issue with alcohol. I drink every day. Probably 6-10 beers a day during the week and 2 cases of beer on the weekends. I'll wake up Saturday and have a beer at 8-9am (some times I justify it because I'm watching English football) then it just goes on until Sunday night. I just can't stop. I'll get drunk at 9am come home and pass out. Then I'll wake up and grab another beer even though I feel like crap! My GF that I live with is at her wits end. She says she is watching me kill myself. I get "rules" like no drinking during the week or on sunday. BUT I always find ways around it. I sent her out to get her nails done today so I could have 4-5 beers.

I also work at a brewery where we get 3 free cases a month, but I've of course worked out a deal with a friend to get that extra case. I still run out in 2 weeks. It's a bad environment for someone with an issue like me to be in. But everyone there is the same way to a degree. I also hang out with them out side of work, where drinking is just what we do.

I also have had a script for xanax 1mg for ever basically. I turn 27 Wed and I started taking antidepresents and anxiety drugs at 18. (crazy step mom got me on them) Now I just alternate between getting too drunk all the time and benzo withdraw. I motor through my script in 2 weeks and then have to wait 2 more to get more. I saw this forum on another board and I just don't know what to do. I'm tired of hurting and feeling like shit all the time, I'm tired of hurting my friends and family. I guess I'm at my whits end.

Sorry for a first post rant, but I don't know what to do. I'm scared. They say the shackles of addiction aren't noticed until they are too hard to break.

This is from me, to other posts too. A Real decision to quit after short detox, and then AA meetings with suitable antidepressant could be one of the best ways to quit.

I just started to get really alcohol dependant about 4 years ago. And i take daily about 6(six) 2mg xanaxes and still need the daily minmum of 12-14 beers if no liquour around. And after liquour boozing beer makes me feel like a shitpan. So i need to loan homewine(17% yeast booze) to stay drunk. I know i can stay until late autumn before i collapse metally/physically and end up to some of the places they tell on AA meetings.

But single male persons have nothing else to do but to drunk around and looking for a girlfriend to settle down for years(and if possible, for restof their(s) life).

Staying on benzos are not an answer for quitting alcohol IMHO. And never-ewer take sleeping benzos(or buprenorphine) when drunk. It's lethal.

Tangy-O-Rangy.

I don't know what has happened to me these past few weeks but I will give a bit of background information to explain the situation.

Prior to last week I was house minding a pad for a good month. I had an assignment to do and I was heavily stressing about it as I needed a certain mark. Any how during this period I was also drinking quite heavily and due to me having depression it probably wasn't the best thing to do. Any how I had a lot of moments where I was crying, probably because I was alone and was just going through my old problems all the time. A few days before the people got back I managed to complete this essay after over a months work on it. So I drink to celebrate and go for some harder bourbon and coke, I get some pizza and find myself crying histerically. Following day I pick up these peeps and then end up having a drink a few days later with a mate.

Since then it has been weird, I don't feel the same as I once did and I probably accept this is due to some ill changes I have made for myself, i.e. letting myself binge eat and be a slob and drink a lot as well.

My question though is, ever since I completed this essay it feels like as if i've had a memory blank of a lot of things I was learning and going over and my motivation is not the same as it once was. Is it possible the alcohol did this? It's quite disturbing as I really want this confidence / drive back for this subject.

Cheers.

Still have my appointment Next Friday to talk about anti-depressents and or other meds. Really think this may be the best option for me. I have taken these meds before. I then became very resistant to them, felt like I had cured my problems. Well my life continued to improve but the depression and anxiety is lingering, obviously benzos are not an option. The Doctor is on vacation, so I will not be able to see her until then. Oh well, what can you do.

Depression runs in my family. My mother recently started a different anti-depressent. She stated that within a few days she realized that she has been very depressed for the last two years. Scary stuff.

Last edited:
I don't know what has happened to me these past few weeks but I will give a bit of background information to explain the situation.

Prior to last week I was house minding a pad for a good month. I had an assignment to do and I was heavily stressing about it as I needed a certain mark. Any how during this period I was also drinking quite heavily and due to me having depression it probably wasn't the best thing to do. Any how I had a lot of moments where I was crying, probably because I was alone and was just going through my old problems all the time. A few days before the people got back I managed to complete this essay after over a months work on it. So I drink to celebrate and go for some harder bourbon and coke, I get some pizza and find myself crying histerically. Following day I pick up these peeps and then end up having a drink a few days later with a mate.

Since then it has been weird, I don't feel the same as I once did and I probably accept this is due to some ill changes I have made for myself, i.e. letting myself binge eat and be a slob and drink a lot as well.

My question though is, ever since I completed this essay it feels like as if i've had a memory blank of a lot of things I was learning and going over and my motivation is not the same as it once was. Is it possible the alcohol did this? It's quite disturbing as I really want this confidence / drive back for this subject.

Cheers.

I know the same. Easily forgets many important things and what happened in past few days or even week(s). Just try to be calm and avoid drunk fights with friends so the spoiling of social relations stays lower. Every experienced alcoholistics know how many mistakes happened for no real reasons, also to those too who claim to control themselves on liquour drunk.

Still i support the idea if really decide to quit is to: AA meetings and other home countrys developed meetings with other addicts. And find out antidepressant dangers and choose wisely one mostly propably fittable. If not experienced and know what shit some of them are already.

Short detox if very serious binge (2-12 month daily largedose use), then without benzo script even when they offer it.

been an alcoholic for 4-5 years now
i tapered down september last year, started only drinking 2-3 times a week, started drinking beer instead of liquor
but then I started getting fat and couldn't deal with it
got back on the liquor in december, been drinking 1/3-1/2 a handle a night since then
can't stop won't stop

^^

At least you now know you can taper. Try to take a positive from it.

When you are ready to taper again, try eating a bit healthier and staying more active. Keep the drinking two 2 or 3 days a week at the most and don't get completely trashed. That should help keep the weight off. The payoff will be great, I can promise you that.

Last edited:
Day 5 no drink. Totally physically detoxed and ready to stay this way.

This is perhaps the worst I've felt in years. The worst, as the emotional pain that is starring myself in the mirror and realising what my life has become is more than I can handle. They really aren't lying about the first 30 days being the hardest. Being tempted to go back to the old ways is only a small weight compared to the sober realisation of what I've done to myself and to those who have known me.

I thought I was functioning. I thought that because I was young, healthy, made friends, did well in University, saw the world, etc. while drinking that I must have been a "functioning alcoholic." I mean surely someone with an "immediate drinking problem" wouldn't be able to pull all of that off with bottle-in-hand, right? Wrong. The only function I was doing was destroying my life in so many ways. Destroying it in ways just invisible enough that I let it happen and felt like a functioning drinker. For years I let it happen.

Of course I've been an Alcoholic for years. Of couse I should have made that first step into AA or Other for years. Of course I would have met the criteria for going to Rehab for years. What was I thinking?

I think of everyone I've met through BL, and though many people are great friends of mine, I can only wonder how much better those friendships would be, or how many more friends I would have (or even how many people I might not have ticked off) had I not been an alcoholic. I know it's bad to think of the "what if's" and stuff, but it's all very real and in the front of my mind right now.

Alcohol has cost me friendships.
Alcohol has cost me relationships.
Alcohol has cost me my ability to be honest and have integrity.
Alcohol has cost me closeness to my family.
Alcohol has limited my ability to succeed professionally.
Alcohol has made me think it was okay to put the drink in front of more important things.
Alcohol has cost me thousands of dollars.
Alcohol has made me feel physically like crap thousands of mornings.
Alcohol has taken away half of my twenties.

I could go on and on and on...

I started drinking because I felt inadequate in so many ways, and it gave me courage and confidence. But what I'd give to be that that dorky 18 year old kid who was shy around girls again...not this 25 year old with more resulting problems than a stadium full of such 18 year old kids... I can only hope that deep down some of that inncence and good-nautred-ness, in it's pure and innocent form, still exists in my heart and I can one day just see this as one bad memory (or one serious lesson-learned).

It's sad that alcohol is (in my opinion) as dangerous as the worst drugs in the world, and the one that we give everyone. Impressionable teenagers who want to feel better about themselves are given a poison comparable to heroin, casually at a party. That's not right. If all of the acloholics in the world could stop drinking and start really demonstrating their potential, we could have so much better of a world. If we had settled on almost anything but this to make legal, we would have so much better of a world (I know I'd never break the law to get such a shit drug).

I want nothing more to do with this stuff ever again. I've said that before, sure, but it's never hit me this hard in my heart. Hell, I'm printing this up and posting it all around my apartment just to remind myself.

I guess if I could say anything to the people in this thread is that I know how it is and to not feel alone. I know how it is to be drunk and I know how it is in those early days of trying to get sober, and just how devastating the reflection of it all can be. I might not know what it's like to speak about months or even years sober, but I will one day. Please everyone, stay strong. We're all in this together.

<3 RL

^^^

Wish I could write a lengthy reply, but I do not have it in me tonight. Just want to say keep it up and it sounds like you have made the correct decision for yourself. If you do fall down and slip up, get up quickly and brush the dirt off and keep walking towards your goal.

You can totally do this man!

"I can only hope that deep down some of that inncence and good-nautred-ness, in it's pure and innocent form, still exists in my heart and I can one day just see this as one bad memory (or one serious lesson-learned)."

I totally believe in that. It's all there man, trust me if you can. I've been through addictions that I thought had ripped me clean off of everything that I ever was, but you learn eventually that there is something inside of you that cannot be taken away, and given just enough nurturing it will return not to what it was before, but to something much better. If you can stick with it I can say that you will reach a point where you don't look back on that 18yr old as something you want to be. You will look back at both him and who you are now as stones you stepped on to become something that you wouldn't trade for anything. Best wishes.

Status
Not open for further replies.