• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Alcoholism Thread v. A sober life is a good life <3

Status
Not open for further replies.
JustSayKnow-I was thinking about starting to take Oxazepam but given the potential for dependence, I don't know. Given my tendencies towards addiction and abuse I'm not sure it's a great idea.

So for the moment at least my only medicine will be a hope and a prayer. Fucked up real bag again today and started drinking really early in the morning, which led to more drinking and coke. Shit is it frustrating. I'm finally moving away from this hellhole though so that might help

Well my alcohol intake has been quite heavy these past few nights and it's resulted in me being self destructive. I end up getting too drunk - although I think after 10 drinks i'm quite sober and then end up gambling or calling up dead beats who I haven't spoken to in a long time. I have entered a bit of a vicious cycle and and now need to break it. The cycle so far has been:

- Thursday - drink 17 drinks - Need more of a fix so I get junk food and go gamble, next I am needing hookers (This part doesn't happen)

- Friday - Drink 14 - End up calling some ass hole ex friends from the past - Meet up with one of them - he convinces me we should go and gamble - I lose the lot ($500 or so)

- Saturday - Drink 13 - My mate bails on me early, I still want to kick on, Indulge in junk food again, no one wants to meet again, Watch the soccer at the club, put money into a gambling machine, accidentally pressd something and lost $40

- Sunday - AM WILLING TO WAKE UP

I had good few clean months and boredom struck me then as everyone else was drinking and I wasn't. I am more accepting now at 25 that I am an alcoholic and need to give up before things get worse.

After a blackout night of drunk driving and cocaine, I'm lucky to be alive or not have killed someone. Went months withotu drinking because it leads to so many problems. Though i thought since i stopped for so long I could control it and not have to do cocaine.

But nope, once an addict always an addict. Fuck alcohol forever. I shall never take 1 more sip.

Just started reading a book on addiction and have come accross an interesting passage:

Ethanol (Alcohol) is special in one sense: it not only mimics the action
of opiates and enters dedicated opioid receptors, it also bypasses
receptors altogether and penetrates directly through the membranes
of brain cells in numerous locations of the brain. It is
in that sense the dirtiest, most polluting among the addictive
substances.

My first day of sobriety starts today. For the past 3 months it has ruined a lot of opportunities for me, it's made me brain dead to a degree and it's made me in unecessary debt and tonight I scratched my car because I was driving with a hang over.

Have been looking at a few guides on motivating myself to do this and thought I would share with the rest of you lot:

Visualize your new life
Find something to laugh about
Forgive yourself for your substance use
Do what you can do
Turn off your television
Reframe negatives into positives
Get exercise, eat better
Get a good night’s sleep
Connect and communicate
Believe in yourself
Rehearse freedom
Make a talisman of your strengths
Consider sobriety as an adventure

Interestingly I appear to be pretty resistant to alcoholism even though my father died at 40 from cirrohosis induced liver failure (from alcohol of course) and my mom is all but an alcoholic at present (and has had problems with alcohol in the past, though not to the extent of my father).

I just don't find alcohol that fascinating... it lowers inhibitions, gives mild euphoria, etc. but I just can't see myself getting addicted. I'm simply surprised as alcoholism has heavy familial implications.

Anyone else seemingly resistant to alcoholism in a family filled with alcoholics?

Had a whole 2 beers today, have learnt that I can be satisfied with just a small amount. May taper down this way and then just quit.....

How'd 4th of July go for all of you American alcoholics? That's a tough one.

I managed to avoid drinking, for once, mostly because I felt like such shit because of the night before, in which I got real twisted. I did do some coke though, so that's no good either. Shit.

^^ That is so great you didn't drink on the weekend dude! Instead of feeling like you didn't do well because you had some coke, you should feel proud of yourself that you didn't drink on a national holiday weekend. That is a huge achievement <3

Interestingly I appear to be pretty resistant to alcoholism even though my father died at 40 from cirrohosis induced liver failure (from alcohol of course) and my mom is all but an alcoholic at present (and has had problems with alcohol in the past, though not to the extent of my father).

I just don't find alcohol that fascinating... it lowers inhibitions, gives mild euphoria, etc. but I just can't see myself getting addicted. I'm simply surprised as alcoholism has heavy familial implications.

Anyone else seemingly resistant to alcoholism in a family filled with alcoholics?

I'm so sorry to hear about your father's passing due to alcohol related illness. Perhaps that has instilled a subconcious resistance to alcohol in your mind?
How old are you if you don't mind me asking? The only reason I ask is because alcoholism runs in my family as well and I was always very concious of it being a potential problem for me. In my late-teens and early-20's I felt that I could drink without it becoming a problem, but then it developed so gradually, by the time I was 23 I was completely addicted to alcohol. I'm nearly 26 now and it's a continuing battle.
It's awesome that you recognise the pattern of alcoholism in your family, and I'm sure you will continue to be careful with drinking.

noonoo, man I cannot even imagine pouring 400 bottles of wine out 8o That is amazing!! It's pretty understandable that you felt bad afterwards but to actually do that in the first place shows great courage. Good luck with your tapering schedule. I can see that you so badly want/need to quit, I am wishing you all the best <3

Woke up this morning and the thought of having some beers felt mighty tempting. So what else should I do but contact a mate and organise to have some beers at 10:30am......13 beers later and I find myself in the same position, gambling behind a machine......

Life is interesting to say the least :) I am borrowing some money to repay back some debts after I blew it on alcohol. Will also be seeing my psychologist as well, wish me all the best guys :)

I'm so sorry to hear about your father's passing due to alcohol related illness. Perhaps that has instilled a subconcious resistance to alcohol in your mind?
How old are you if you don't mind me asking? The only reason I ask is because alcoholism runs in my family as well and I was always very concious of it being a potential problem for me. In my late-teens and early-20's I felt that I could drink without it becoming a problem, but then it developed so gradually, by the time I was 23 I was completely addicted to alcohol. I'm nearly 26 now and it's a continuing battle.
It's awesome that you recognise the pattern of alcoholism in your family, and I'm sure you will continue to be careful with drinking.

I'm 18--it may seem silly that I feel I'm going to be forever resistant to the urge to overindulge since I'm still young, but my dad had problems with alcohol at this age already. I've essentially unlimited alcohol at my disposal and I seem to be able to handle myself. But your personal situation does scare me a bit.

The only "addiction" I have at present is running which I believe has a profound moderating effect on any potentially addicting behaviors--maybe that's the key difference between my father and myself (yes it's much more complicated I'm sure!).

Last edited:
It sounds like you're really aware of the potential link between your parents history with alcohol, and your own potential issues. That's great. And running is a fantastic addiction to have! As long as you can avoid injuries from too much running (of which I also have lots of personal experience ;))

Not surprisingly, I partied pretty hard over the long weekend. Couldn't keep any food down for a day or so afterward, including my meds. :| So, fun with panic attacks, heatstroke, and dehydration.

I am surprised I stayed out of the ER tbh!

I think this adversity is a good sign that I need to turn it all around completely. The thought of hard liquor kinda sickens me anymore. THAT is major.

It's my choice whether to make this a turning point. Drinking some nice raspberry tea and having leftovers that cost me a whopping $4 to make.

With a sober mind and healthy body, I can better approach the challenges that are ahead (and they are substantial).

<3

Ugh, after 1 week of no beer I started drinking again on 6/28. I didn't have one today though but my dedicated beer fridge is full of beer...

^^ It's hard to stay sober when you've got a dedicated beer fridge, even if it's not got any beer in it, it's still sitting in your house, reminding you that you want a beer!!
But you had a whole week off drinking dude, that is a huge achievement! <3

If you are aiming to completely quit, I think you need to get rid of that fridge...

Not surprisingly, I partied pretty hard over the long weekend. Couldn't keep any food down for a day or so afterward, including my meds. :| So, fun with panic attacks, heatstroke, and dehydration.

I am surprised I stayed out of the ER tbh!

I think this adversity is a good sign that I need to turn it all around completely. The thought of hard liquor kinda sickens me anymore. THAT is major.

I agree that sometimes it takes a real doozy of a hangover to scare us straight again hun. I'm glad you came out of it relatively unscathed and have better focus than before <3

Joseph K, good to hear you're ready to cut down! Do you have a plan yet?

i havent posted here before, and my problem, prolly wasnt as bad as alot of yours i ahve alcoholics in my family, i stared stealing alcohol here and there from my parents when i was 14,
when iturned 19(the legal age in canada) i started drinking dailey, i was just really depressed, i was in an abusive horrible unhappy relationship, i had fuckedup my car and couldnt tell my parents, i had started college but was guilt tripped by my girlfriend not to go, cuz she was jealous thinking i was fucking around

i just drank beer, everyday, she smoked weed for her stomach problem adn to keep her emotions intact, i just kept drinking and drinking, the hangovers were bad but i couldnt sleep without it, i had lost all my friends from high school, i couldnt tell my parents i ended colelge, adn my brakes on my car were just plain fucked, i needed to drink, to forget it, to feel good,

i ever stoped carign about the taste of my beer and bough cheap shitty beer just to fuel my habbit, my girlfriend lived on the other end of town, so i had to drive half an hour, with fucked breaks to go to work, or to go home, she was a cumpulsive cheater jealous psycho,

at first we were perfect for eachother, but then she found out i had went out with black girls before her adn this put a huge strain on the relationship(this was two years before i started heavy drinking)

i was lying to everyone, my parents my work, i was always late to work cuz everytime i drove my car, the brakes were fucked, and i had to use the hand breaks, then that breaks got fucked too, and i didn't have to money to get it fixed, and i couldnt tell my parents, to much anxiety, i had fucked up and i can't admit what ive done, eventually i stoped gettng shifts at work and i was told to see the manager, but i was to anxious and i just stoped going, i was a leach now, falling into my own traps of stupidity, so depressed, i thoguht of suidcide even though i would never do it,

that summer, my parents left town for a month so i had the palce to myself, with money to spend on food, which i spent on alcohol isntead,
one day she found out that i was using msn to talk to females ( i wasnt aloudto look at talk to , think about listen to, tallk about or anything females, except insult them) and she bitched on and on cuz i was talking to them (even though she had cheated on me 7 times before, once with two different guys in the same nght, adn almost left me for a blackg uy,

it was the last straw, she would always talk about guys over adn over again, yet i wasn't even aloud to associate with the oposite sex, then there was this one guy at work,
and one night she waslike im gonna go see my friend sara, and then later she told me that she had lied and she was about to go chill with this guy, and i said ok id trust her, id give her a chance . so she did
then she chillde with him agian, went to see bruno with him, even though she refused to watch it with me because i am "a huge slut and apervert, adn a pig, and a nigger lover"
she always would try and look through my text, so as a joke i did it to her,adn then i read something about him talking about her lips

we fought cried blaah blah blah, she begun at an mental health hospital in an anxiety program,

oh yeah and this is when she found out i had been talking to girls online, her brother told her,

so she freaked out said it was over (althoguht this was just her tackit, she always did this to manipulate me, ) so finally i just stop answering her calls and my birthday comes up and refuse to spend it with her, she had ruined my brithday before, so on my birthday when ive been drinking she collects all my shit adn tells me shes gonna throw it out, if i dont drive there now, but my brakes are fucked and idont want to , i buss down the next day pick it up we half chill, theres sitll more stuff to pick up, now i stop talkign to her completely, and she desperately trys to contact her,

and her fmaily shit gets me fucked and shit, and i jsut refuse, i want my freedom back i want my quasi hapiness back, so i enrol on an online course to upgrade my high school credits, to get into university for pharmacology or a related subject(im interested in drugs) thens he texts me telling me something fucked up happend, then her mom and brothers girl friend text me telling me she got raped, and that she needs to see me, but i had made a promise to myself never to go back, i ahd her email passowrd i sorta looked at her emails, and read the statement her mom sent to the police, about them all being at a club and she got intoa car with some random guy to have a smoke, and then he drove off then they found her bruised, and sure i felt bad, and she blamed it on me cuz i wasnt there, last thing i heard she went to a rehab center /youth help place, eventually she gave up on contacting me, i cut down on drinking more and more, using cannabis (a much safer plant with less consequences) i sitll drink, but not to get drunk, just because i love the taste of craft beers,

i finally have a job again, and have restructured my social life, things are looking up now,

sorry about my spellign, ive only slept 3 horus in the past 2 days im trying to fix my sleep schedual and i am half binging on my adhd medication,,

Status
Not open for further replies.