• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opiates and Hiccups.

I generally take a big breath, then take more and more until I literally can't take in any more air. Then, I hold it until I literally can't and chug a cup of water. Sometimes I smoke a cigarette after too. Generally works pretty well but might take a few attempts.

a teaspoon of bi-carb soda down the hatch with a small chaser of water. it;s going to taste like shit initially but subsides soon after letting it enter:)

Argh! Thank god there's other people with this haha..

I IVed morphine sulfate and have had the hiccups constantly for over 4hrs now, it's driving me fucking postal!

I've tried water, sugar, drinking upside down, blah blah blah..

Lol.. And I have to stay awake til 6am for work!

So.Not.Cool

Much love, Mav <3

I get them all the time while high on oxy. Had them for 6hrs once. High as balls, but couldn't stop the hiccup.

Oxycodone is the only opiod that does this to me but it happens everytime without fail. It seems to go on forever too, its almost a damper on the buzz. :\

I get it from Oxycodone and from my Cortosteroid shots I get from my pain mgt dr.. lol I hate the hiccups!! It's horrible!

Oxycodone seems to be the only one that does it to me as well.

Wow. I am both excited and feel really bad for bringing this up. I honestly though I was the only was when I created this thread, but at the time I was really high and wanted to share with everyone.

It seems to happen to me anytime I am actually high on an opiate, the other night it was PST, but if I have hydro's and I take enough for a good buzz, I will get the hiccups. But I can get rid of my opiate hiccups pretty fast, they will just come back again soon.

a teaspoon of bi-carb soda down the hatch with a small chaser of water. it;s going to taste like shit initially but subsides soon after letting it enter:)

I wanted to also note that I often use sodium bicarbonate as well but to control the nausea. What I find particularly effective is squeezing some lime juice into a shot glass, putting in enough bicarbonate to fully react and then half of the usual dose. Then you have a mixture of sodium bicarbonate and sodium citrate. Take it as a shot, deal with the nasty flavor for a few seconds and force it down with water, then enjoy. ;)

I hav them right now, after IV'ing some h, these hiccups dont go away no matter what, they last for 30-60 mins and are the most violent sounding ones, so uncomfortable!

I get them all the time when i smoke heroin. Don't seem to get them as much when i IV, maybe just don't notice them though.

They can be annoying best way to cure someone of hiccups is to ask them a question where they have to calculate or think of the answer. Apparently thinking causes the diaphragm to relax or something and stops you hiccupsing, it works for me.

Oh man. What I wouldn't give to make the 'chiv-ups' stop forever.

What seems to help me is sitting down, taking a deep breath, leaning all the way forward with my head to the ground, and holding my breath for about 30 seconds.

This happens to my girlfriend every time we smoke heroin, it's seriously like clockwork. It's fun for me though, because I'll just be gelled off my ass and when shes shopping I like to hide in the clothes and jump out right in her face and scare her...good times =D

too bad it never works and I just look like a fool in front of all the people in the store, but I don't care once that dope hits my lungs <3

edit: On a side note: the first time I tried xanax (2mg) I LITERALLY had the hiccups for 48 hours, I made a doc appt. the next day but then they disappeared...

my severe hiccupsbun

I took oxycodone after surgery and after one day I develop hiccups. They started mild but after 48 hours they became severe. They quickly progressed into hyperventilation before my lungs completely shut down and I could not breathe. Only by vomiting in my mouth did my airway open. I rushed to the hospital and they had no clue why I had hiccups. They prescribe me Thorazine because it was shown to be effective in stopping hiccups. But no one addressed that this was being caused by my opiate oxycodone. They sent me home to start my pain relieving medication again and needless to say the hiccups came back. I woke up in the middle of the night gasping for air it was at that point that I realized my hiccups and air breathing problems you're being caused by some drug and I search side effects inbound oxycodone was the culprit. After stopping the drug for 10 hours the hiccups went away and I could breathe again . For some of us oxycodone is deadly

I took oxycodone after surgery and after one day I develop hiccups. They started mild but after 48 hours they became severe. They quickly progressed into hyperventilation before my lungs completely shut down and I could not breathe. Only by vomiting in my mouth did my airway open. I rushed to the hospital and they had no clue why I had hiccups. They prescribe me Thorazine because it was shown to be effective in stopping hiccups. But no one addressed that this was being caused by my opiate oxycodone. They sent me home to start my pain relieving medication again and needless to say the hiccups came back. I woke up in the middle of the night gasping for air it was at that point that I realized my hiccups and air breathing problems you're being caused by some drug and I search side effects inbound oxycodone was the culprit. After stopping the drug for 10 hours the hiccups went away and I could breathe again . For some of us oxycodone is deadly

I had that same problem every once in a while on opiates.
However, I pretty much figured it out.
When I was on opiates, I was snorting around 10 mg oxymorphone throughout the day. This lasted about 8 months.
Anyways, the hiccups came on about 1 month in.

What was the source that I found for these hiccups?
Stress.
Yes, stress.

Once the hiccups started to really piss me off I researched all the "causes" of hiccups, and after eliminating almost all dietary and genetic reasons, I was left with the most likely reason being stress.
I thought about it longer, of course over a period of about a month, and realized that I got pissed really fucking easily while on opana.
What I started doing was taking 1 mg xanax a day along with my opana.
This fixed the problem. Probably because I was too zooted to think about hiccups (or anything stressful, for that matter).
Obviously, I don't recommend this.

Anyways, I quit opiates a while ago and this problem went away. I came to realize that I was subject to somewhat of a opiate-induced anger, which is apparently fairly common. A better way to describe it would be a "decreased threshold of irritability."

Just some food for thought.
Good luck.

I'm going through this same issue right now. I've had 37.5mg of oxycodone since 8 o'clock last night and I've had at least four lengthy bouts of the hiccups, every once in a while.

I don't feel stressed at the moment, of course, because I'm still feeling the effects, but I was super tense and frustrated before I took them. Kept overthinking things so that possibly could be it. Wonder how the two are correlated?

I don't know medically why I get hiccups while doing H or almost any other opiate, but sure does happen every time. Seems like the better the high the more often I get the hiccups. Really annoying!

I generally take a big breath, then take more and more until I literally can't take in any more air. Then, I hold it until I literally can't and chug a cup of water. Sometimes I smoke a cigarette after too. Generally works pretty well but might take a few attempts.

flacky dude I literally do the same exact thing, minus drinking water. I take a huge breath, and then keep breathing in until it's impossible to fit anymore air in my lungs. This absolutely works perfectly! You may be interrupted by a hiccup once or twice in the middle of this process, but I promise it will work if you keep trying!

Seems IV opiates are fine but when it comes to a good Oxycodone hydrocodone buzz, I'll have brutal hiccups for the rest of that day