• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opiates and Hiccups.

nekointheclouds

Bluelight Crew
Hello BLers!

I just had a quick question from you opiate users:

Does anyone else seem to get the hiccups alot when you have a good opiate buzz going?

I just discovered a great new source for Poppy seeds for making poppy seed tea, which worked swimmingly! This is one of the best batches of Poppy seed tea I have ever made. I am euphoric and itchy. and I keeping getting the fucking hiccups.

Granted I get the hiccups alot anyways, like atleast once a day, but when ever I get a good opiate buzz going, I get them like every 30min.

So just wanted to know if anyone else had this problem, or any other weird opiate thing. Anyone?

dude, fuck the hiccups. While I have nothing constructive to add to this thread (sorry!) I feel deeply for anyone who has to deal with daily hiccups. I hate having the hiccups and if Ihad them everyday I would not be a pleasnt person to be around. Is there any medical reason for your daily hiccups that you know of? seems a bit odd...

Weird - I've never experienced opiate-related hiccups, and I tend to get em pretty frequently (powerful painful ones too, that don't go away no matter how many tricks I try).

Might just be coincidental timing?

Yeah, The hiccups are pretty fucking lame. I don't know any kind of concrete medical reason I get them, but I have always had problems with indigestion and I belch alot, Like I am the belching queen! So perhaps I swallow air alot and don't know it?

Though that doesn't explain why I get them even more while on opiates. Its pretty annoying, though I can usually get rid of them pretty quickly. But thats only because I know every trick in the book for getting rid of them.

^ I get hiccups easily when I'm on opioids, I mainly used codeine everyday and if I was doing a decent dose for my tolerance (recently that was about 1.5 grams) then I would almost always get the most frustrating hiccups.

What are your tips for getting rid of them because I could never get of them easily?

I get them as well but only at high doses. However its pretty consistent if I take a high dose I'm probably going to get the hiccups. Nothing I have tried seems to stop them. But who cares you're high!

Yeah, Its the same with me with the high doses. I know I am high when I get the hiccups. And although there certainly more annoying things that could happen, the sheer amount of hiccups I get is rather annoying.

As for getting rid of them, I have a whole list of ways to get of them:

Hold my breath.
Drinking water up-side-down.
Taking a really deep breath, swallowing three gulps of air, and then holding it.
Getting a cup of water, putting a paper towel over the top and then drinking water through it.

These usually work pretty well, but if they dont, I try to ignore them, or I wait awhile and try these steps over again.

If you dont know how to drink water up-side-down, here are the steps:

Get a cup of water, make sure its only about half full.
Put your lips on the opposite side of the cup, so that your chin is kinda in the cup.
Now bend over so that you can tilt the cup enough to drink out of it.
Drink!

I get them all the time while high on oxy. Had them for 6hrs once. High as balls, but couldn't stop the hiccup.

Oxycodone is the only opiod that does this to me but it happens everytime without fail. It seems to go on forever too, its almost a damper on the buzz. :\

The dope hiccups have gotten me busted at work and in relationships on a couple of occasions. I'll be like "Nah I'm clean, perfectly clean, just a little sleepy and HICCUP just like I haven't HICCUP been getting much HICCUP sleep lately is all..."

Been meaning to look into why this happens. I know the chinky pupil thing is due to acetylcholine agonism, opiates being indirect cholinergics. The circumferential muscles that control pupil constriction are acetylcholine dependent. So then I'm curious as to how opiates evoke the hiccup response.

It has something to do with your diaphragm being relaxed from being high, in turn you get the hiccups.

I never have, although being on opiates has caused a whole host of gastrointestinal difficulties. That sounds awful though. I`d probably end up going nuts.

This happened to me when I first started oxycodone for pain management (low doses then, like 80mg a day in Oxy-IR 20mg 4x a day) and with tolerance it eventually went away.

i feel ya man, i get them alot especially from heroin.

i guess its pretty commonly recognized here
" dope hiccups " everyone says..

^Weird. It's a reaction to higher CO2 concentrations in the blood. Somewhere you sense your blood getting more acidic (because of the dissolved carbonate) and the ANS reacts by putting you into what's essentially a vestigial form of breathing, forcing you to gulp air involuntarily, like a frog.

Something about the heroin high has always made me feel like a swamp creature. This drives that idea home a bit.

This also explains why I only want to have sex during mating season.

Probably intelligent life is a nightmare we're all trying to wake from.

What's this thread about?

I get it from Oxycodone and from my Cortosteroid shots I get from my pain mgt dr.. lol I hate the hiccups!! It's horrible!

I just wanted to toss in a remedy that I didn't see mentioned in here, that works for me: a spoonful of sugar. For some reason, it works. Give it a try next time any of you guys get the hiccups.