• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

5-HTP after MDMA use and Serotonin Syndrome.

WorldWarMe

Bluelight Crew
When I take MDMA (rarely, a few times a year at most) I usually take 100mg of 5-HTP during the comedown (5-6 hours after mdma kicks in) to help the edginess.

I've been reading a lot on Serotonin Syndrome lately and was wondering why I never ended up getting it? I ALWAYS take 5-HTP after a roll, but never got Serotonin Syndrome. Why is this?

I was thinking that since MDMA poor's serotonin OUT, and the 5-HTP puts serotonin IN, that it doesn't counter-react? Are you only at risk with two chemicals that both add/remove serotonin, or does it not matter if it adds or removes it?

Any explanation would be appreciated.

Thanks in advanced :)

I can't give you a scientific answer (some will), but for me taking 5HTP anywhere near a session is asking for trouble. I get tremendous seratonin clashes doing this. What IS beneficial (for me), is taking the day after, and after the half-life of the original drug, to accelerate the replacement of seratonin.

If you don't get seratonin syndrome symptoms now, I'm pretty sure you will by combing 5HTP with seratonin releasing agents (or inhibitors) on a regular basis.

Just my experience anyway...

As I said, I rarely do MDMA, but I take 5-HTP almost everynight for sleep.
I know lots of people who take it for the comedown, how come they don't get Serotonin Syndrome?

As I said, I rarely do MDMA, but I take 5-HTP almost everynight for sleep.
I know lots of people who take it for the comedown, how come they don't get Serotonin Syndrome?

well it depends on how you classify 'come down'. If you're talking next-day blues then it works a treat. In my experience, if you take it while the MDMA is still active, it clashes famously.

Everyone's different though, and as I said, I don't have a scientific answer.

Taking 5-HTP BEFORE a trip greatly potentiates the MDMA - I used to do it once tolerance started to become an issue. Changes the quality of the high a little - makes it feel a bit more chemical/unnatural/forced, in a way. Not as good, in other words, but still damn nice.

This doesn't really answer your question, at all. Sorry.

Taking 5-HTP BEFORE a trip greatly potentiates the MDMA - I used to do it once tolerance started to become an issue. Changes the quality of the high a little - makes it feel a bit more chemical/unnatural/forced, in a way. Not as good, in other words, but still damn nice.

This doesn't really answer your question, at all. Sorry.

I heard that taking it BEFORE rolling GREATLY increases your chance of Serotonin Syndrome, much more then taking it after.

^strange how people react differently. 5HTP before a roll did exactly the opposite for me. Instead of a nice clean 'magical' high from the molly, my head felt messy for a good couple of hours, ruining the best part of the peak. The best way I can describe it is a 'clash'. Bit like MDPV and Meph. Fucks you over, but ruins the effects of both drugs imo.

Yeah, I've also heard that it depends on the person. Some people take 5-HTP before a roll and it increases the effects tenfold, but for some people it just kills the high.

Interesting..

I think maybe what can be taken from my post is that if people like me can do a bunch of 5-HTP BEFOREhand and not get serotonin syndrome, it doesn't seem very likely that you'll get it afterwards.

If you've been successfully dosing 5-HTP after molly on your occasional night outs, why mess with success? :)

I usually take 5htp about 8 hours after popping, like when I feel the mdma has run its course and I'm all tired out and ready to sleep. Never had a problem.
I think it might only cause an issue if you take one really close to before/after you pop?

I usually take 5htp about 8 hours after popping, like when I feel the mdma has run its course and I'm all tired out and ready to sleep. Never had a problem.
I think it might only cause an issue if you take one really close to before/after you pop?

I experienced moderate serotonin syndrome from taking 2 5htp's about 7 hours after my last drop, so at the point where u aren't rolling, just a mild afterglow. It was terribly scary, was about ready to go to the er but it started to get better so i didn't. So wait for 24 hours, no rush. and take 1 at a time.

It is all a matter of managing your body and mind and being smart about not mixing anything you know nothing about with your drugs. I work alongside supplements regularly so I have had to do extensive research on 5-htp. Best I can tell you is NEVER use 5-htp within I would say 8-10 hours before or after(me perzonally I even wait a day since you everyones bldy will hold onto things differently) taking MDMA or any other drug. Reason is because you're juggling with your serotonin levels in a short period of time and your body surely will not deal with it well. Even if you feel fine now, you are only increasing the likelihood of SS or other issues afterwards. You may notice things like inability to express certain emotions at will almost like you sometimes have to force them etc. It is a great idea however to use supplements and other things to replenish yourself and recover both body and mind, thus creating the most pleasant experience possible. You just don't want to mix the 2 or anything of the sort as it only increases the potential for some very bad things.