• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

DO benzos REALLY potentiate the "euphoria" of opioids

boti420

Bluelighter
Everyone on here seems to be in agreement that benzo are the best potentiate of opiates. Now I agree fully that they increase the sedation depressant effects of an opiate. I also know it’s a very significant and dangerous potentiating. Personally I once OD’ed from the combo. I usually shot 2 bags at one time and I forgot that I took a "Tic Tac" (1mg, most people prefer to call them 'Footballs') of Xanax about 6 hours prior, since the effects wore off. Now I cooked up the 2 bag of dope as I usually do from a batch whose strength I was familiar with and tried recently.

While IV'ing it - for some reason which I can't explain to this day out of about 90 units in the rig I stopped at 50 units. I never did that before yet a little voice in the back of my head told me to stop. Well I did, I took the rig out was able to walk out of the bathroom to my couch where my friend was and remember saying that I’m really fucked up. The next thing I remember was waking up several hours later.

According to my friend I fell out right there. He did everything possible to wake me up throwing water on me, slapping me, etc... Finally by luck he found my vial of narcan and muscled a CC of that and I woke up a few minutes later. So yes definitely it makes the sedation and depressant properties MUCH stronger. If I shot the whole rig as was normal I would have most definitely died as my friend didn't know where my narcan was hidden and took him a while to find out (a BIG mistake on my part, from now on it’s a rule of my mine that everyone that’s there when I use knows where my Narcan is and I usually already have a shot prepared).

As a side note I always have the shot prepared and hitting in my lap because when I OD I always have a good 3 minutes before I go unconscious and I feel the OD coming unless I take Way to much dope to where it’s almost instantaneous and anyways I have Narcan myself before in that 3 minutes window and definitely saved my life cause I still got a killer (no pun intended) rush and got way the fuck up regardless of the Narcan).. The scary thing is when I snapped out of it I was still severely fucked up. I thought I might have given myself brain damage because everything sounded muted, basically I had a “bell ringer" even though there was no coke in the shot ( I sure wished there was :) for about half an hour after I woke up.

Now my question is that while it might make the nod stronger once you have a good habit going the nod really becomes a thing of the past and all that you really look forward to when you IV dope is for the rush so I don't care about the nod. My question is do benzos actually have any effect of the "euphoric" qualities of the opioid. Personally in my limited experience I gotta say that NO it will only make you nod harder and possibly fall out. Any thoughts or opinions on this debate, It seems to me that he only things that potentiate the actual euphoria and most importantly to me the rush you get are : cocaine, antihistamines such as diphenhydramine (Benadryl) which also happens to be the cut of choice in Chicago dope) and perhaps a few beers beforehand or some Ketamine which I’ve read lowers your opiate tolerance temporarily at least while your sill fucked up from the Ketamine then you'll feel the dope better, so I guess the same might go for both DXM, and maybe PCP. two other disaccociative drugs that affect the NMDA system. Thanks.

Forgive me, I didn't read the whole of your post and I'm just answering the question in the title.

Benzos don't "potentiate" opioids. To potentiate means to make stronger. For example, Grapefruit juice is said to potentiate opioids, meaning that with grapejuice, 40mg of oxycontin may feel like 45mg or 50mg of oxycontin, since more of it will get absorbed.

Benzos do not do this, they simply add the benzo high to the opiate high, much like LSD would add hallucinations to the opiate high.

The reason there is controversy is because some people find benzos to be euphoric, and other people don't. If you find benzos euphoric on their own, you will likely find they increase the euphoria when combined with opiates/opioids, since 1 + 1 = 2. If benzos on their own don't provide euphoria, they will not magically add euphoria to the opiate high.

I don't think Benzos are euphoric at all. People find euphoria in the anti-anxiolytic effects, but not directly from the drug. Xanax is widely regarded to be the most "euphoric" benzo and I find no euphoria whatsoever from it. However, I'm probably a bad example because I don't find opiates to be all that euphoric either. Nowhere near the euphoria I get from stims.

I don't think Benzos are euphoric at all. People find euphoria in the anti-anxiolytic effects, but not directly from the drug. Xanax is widely regarded to be the most "euphoric" benzo and I find no euphoria whatsoever from it. However, I'm probably a bad example because I don't find opiates to be all that euphoric either. Nowhere near the euphoria I get from stims.

Yeah, you're a bad example because holy shit opiates euphoriate me way more than any stim ever had.

Each to his own. ;D

Yeah, I do find it peculiar. I'm not saying I don't like opiates. They make me feel incredibly calm but not euphoric. Tramadol is my favourite, I think that's due to the SSRI activity.

Forgive me, I didn't read the whole of your post and I'm just answering the question in the title.

Benzos don't "potentiate" opioids. To potentiate means to make stronger. For example, Grapefruit juice is said to potentiate opioids, meaning that with grapejuice, 40mg of oxycontin may feel like 45mg or 50mg of oxycontin, since more of it will get absorbed.

Benzos do not do this, they simply add the benzo high to the opiate high, much like LSD would add hallucinations to the opiate high.

The reason there is controversy is because some people find benzos to be euphoric, and other people don't. If you find benzos euphoric on their own, you will likely find they increase the euphoria when combined with opiates/opioids, since 1 + 1 = 2. If benzos on their own don't provide euphoria, they will not magically add euphoria to the opiate high.

Grapefruit juice slows metabolism of the drugs not increasing the absorption.

boy am I glad I dont feel that way?

although Iam going through horrible opiate withdrawal and immodium isn teven helping,...

FUCK

I don't think Benzos "potentiate".. I think they increase the nod by increasing drowsyness. However making you tired is not making you higher. I avoid the benzo opiate combo unless I am having a panic attack which is rare nowdays.

Benzodiazepines remove anxiety. If you are an anxious person, benzos alone may be euphoric. When combined with opiates, benzos cause a dangerous amount of central nervous system depression, which has been proven to be fatal. Do not mix them. If you will not listen to reason and decide to mix them anyway, use caution.

^Just not having anxiety is euphoric. I don't give a shit about being high. I would take never being high again if it meant I could be completely anxiety free and panic attack free for the rest of my life..

Grapefruit juice slows metabolism of the drugs not increasing the absorption.

It slows the metabolism of the drugs, allowing for there to be more time for your body to absorb the drug, allowing for an increased absorption ;)

At least I think that's how it works. Not trying to pretend I actually know the specifics behind this stuff. All I know (from personal experience) is that grapefruit juice adds slightly to the strength of the high.

Mikehawk: I have friends like that. Over the years I've introduced probably 20 people to opiates (I'm an evil bastard like that). Some of em have found their new favorite drug, others think they're average, others find them lame.

One girl really wanted to try them, so I gave her 20mg oxycodone (ROA: Oral). Waited an hour and a half, she didn't feel a thing, so I gave her another 10mg. waited another hour, gave her another 10. She wound up vomitting for the rest of the night, I felt terrible. She didn't notice ANY high though, went from feeling nothing to feeling horrible with no euphoria in-between.

The lesson of the day is that opiates seem to be a hiiiighly subjective experience. Not sure whether loving opiates, as I do, is a blessing or a curse.

It slows the metabolism of the drugs, allowing for there to be more time for your body to absorb the drug, allowing for an increased absorption ;)

At least I think that's how it works. Not trying to pretend I actually know the specifics behind this stuff. All I know (from personal experience) is that grapefruit juice adds slightly to the strength of the high.

No, the absorption stays the same. The liver just doesn't break it down as fast, not increasing the amount but prolonging the time it is in the blood stream.

I enjoy it very much it makes the opiate exxperience really chilleed... and probably nodding too

In my experience, taking a benzo prior to an opiate seems to interfere with the opiate euphoria; I would describe it as having a dampening effect on the warm, contented feeling that's the hallmark of a good opiate experience.

Instead, the spaced-out, zombifying aspects of the benzo seems to predominate, since the anxiolytic effect is almost completely saturated by the opiates. Subjectively, I find only the negative side effects of the benzos remain, which has a clouding effect on the more euphoric opiates.

However, this doesn't always hold true if the benzo is taken after the opiate effect has had time to manifest. Then it can amplifying the sedation pleasantly, although I find that more than just a touch of benzo's (or alcohol) can definitely overpower much of the desirable effects. I find diphenhydramine to be a much more enjoyable adjunct, myself.

well, lots of opiate users are also benzo addicts, which means that benzos make everything better. but besides that, benzos are very effective at helping induce the opiate nod, which is very pleasurable if your day allows for it. i would without question be of the opinion that the combination gets you "higher."

though, i would not suggest adding benzos for a first time user who wanted to get a pure taste of the opiate euphoria.

edit: i just took the time to completely read the op's post, realizing my nod comment was silly. so, let me re-answer. i am not an IV user, but yes i think the combination of opiates and benzos is more euphoric than opiates alone. i also prefer adding alcohol and marijuana. to the point where i would consider taking opiates without at least also adding one of the other 3 wasteful of opiates--which are a treat for me. but i think a big part (but certainly not completely) of that has to do with my separate want for those other 3 drugs. the opiate high is about complete satisfaction, and if those are missing (minus alcohol, that is jut a bonus) i am still in want of something.

though i dislike mixing a antihistamine with opiates and am of the opinion that it only increases sedation, not euphoria, making the experience less pleasurable.

I love an opiate+benzo combo....the only thing better is
opiate+benzo+muscle relaxant+alcohol..but that has led to a few OD's for me, so probably not the best idea lol