Lightning in a Bottle 2010 (LIB)

socalrollin

Bluelighter
LIB- anyone going? anyone been? share your past experience's and expectations of this year.

i know its at oak canyon ranch in Irvine ca thats right socal baby!, so its at just about the best venue imaginable.

its not a "rave" so there wont be many if any of the typical first time young n's. nothing against ya im just stating facts.

its put on by" The Do Lab" so there will be mass amount of positive vibes and beautiful art, lots of interactive activities like yoga, art, etc etc..

hmmm what else do i know about LIB 2010??? oh yes its may 28th - 31st memorial weekend actually and its $165.00 a ticket camping included.

over 60 amazing artists!!!

im not sure if im gonna go yet, help me decide. http://lightninginabottle.org/

The Do Lab puts on the most amazing events, EVARRRR

Its at a new location this year which is told to be great (if anyone went to JuJu Beats you know the place).

The last one in 07 was mindblowing, and the location in Santa Barbara was stunning as well.
Not quite sure if i'm going to make it this year, although I hope I can.

Everyone who goes better check out The Ianator!

and OP if you have the chance to go, TAKE IT!!!!!

Wish I wasn't out of town this weekend.... saw The Ianator twice at Coachella, so much fun. Booka Shade and MiMOSA should be awesome.

^ You didnt see his surprise set with Patricio on Sunday? It was fire!

^ Of course I was! You're not from the Coachella Message Boards are you?

i went to LIB a couple years back when it was in santa barbara. it was completely awesome. i've already got a trip to mexico planned during those dates, but if i didn't i would probably be in attendance. it's one of the best outdoor parties i've ever been to and i'm looking forward to a return in the future.

Dude orbital put on a totally different set at Coachella.... I got jacked at Ultra, shit sucked.

Dang I totally cannot go. The state of Texas has me on a tight rope right now :( I extend my love to all going too this event!

MY REVIEW:

Lineup-flyer-web-FINAL600w-457x1024.jpg

Dorset Perceptions Festival Videos (Aka Psilo, Fizzy, & Friends]​

Socalymbiosis, aka Lightning In A Bottle 2010

A good time, a good festival for everyone. Not quite on the music level of Symbiosis in Yosemite, or the location
level
of Underground Sound in Missouri, but I believe this is the best that Southern California would be able to do. It was
tens of times better than Jujubeats at the same location and I didn't talk to one person who had a bad time.
There were definite downsides which I will go into later, but overall Do-Lab threw a successful event and if you didn't enjoy
yourself you probably either had personal problems going on or drama that is unrelated to the party which is understandable.

30787_10150206355855301_815825300_12721870_3616675_n.jpg

Music:

One of the best lineups I've seen in So-Cal in a while from the start, and it was decent all the way through. But I will say that
their scheduling was off and that most of the best music was on Sunday, while the most boring music was on Saturday (by far) and
someone who really knew what was up could have scheduled it better. I was expecting a lot more from some of my personal favorite
DJ's there, but most of the higher names up ripped it up just as expected. Booka Shade was a joke, while DJ's like Vibesquad tore
the place apart to a degree unstoppable. He doesn't play dubstep or glitch-hop, he plays Vibesquad.

* Vibesquad - As just mentioned, one of the best sets (top 3 probably) of the event for me. Totally unique, totally ground shaking new-age shit.
* El Papachango - was one of my favorite sets as well. More people than expected were getting down with the Latin Dub Hop, even though his MC was absent (he was there at Symbiosis).
* DJ Laura was a huge disappointment and played a lot of mashup's and top 40 shit instead of the Hard Tech-Funky-house that we expected from her, from Symbiosis.
* Ott was Ottsum (-Jason). Psy Dub and crazy on his electronic drums. Shpongle-lite with a hint of Shulman. Good stuff.
* Daedelus was the worst music I have ever seen in my life. Period. Watch the videos.
* Mimosa was AWESOME. He followed Daedelus and was exactly what was needed. REAL, 100% personal produced music.
* Jupit3r was on friday and was the first GREAT set we saw. Love that guy. Glitch-Hop-Dubstep New Age Stuff.
* Beats Antique - played the worst set i've seen from them out of 4 times total now, but still rocked it the 2nd half of their set. Their new song is on my videos and takes trip-hop to a new level!

* The Glitch Mob - This was my 6th time seeing the Glitch Mob, and I have always thought they were fully mediocre, but this experience seeing them close was one of the best musical sets I've ever seen performed in a musicianship-way, and I didn't know they had upgraded SO much. I talked to people who saw them at Coachella and LIB both and apparently the $10,000 worth of new equipment AND Edit *and* Ooah learning how to shred the bass guitar has made such a difference. The power of their set was incomprehensible to me compared to their previous mediocrity. It was not an electronic set, it was a rock concert with 3 musicians using 6 instruments total (switching them off back and forth) with the *help* of electronic equipment throwing the base line of the beats down while they improv'd the rest. I have heard a few people didn't like the set and I believe it's because they like electronic music more than Hard rock, which is what I would truly consider Glitch Mob's set. It was not electronic, despite any helpful tools. This set was worth my $180 alone and I don't say that lightly. The biggest upgrade in my personal experience of music. The reverse of Moondrop 2008 piece of SHIT set they spun.

* Lots more - When I can remember; been uploading vids, pics, and review for hours now.

Production:

Music & Sound: Pretty good. Nothing totally spectacular, but they did what they could with California's strict laser and obsessive light laws. The speakers were good, mostly Turbo-sound level, although the 3rd stage did have Funktion-1 set up I believe. A lot of people who have not been to a festival outside of Cali were really "wow"'d by the laser setup on the main 2
stages, especially with the mist coming down, and there is no denying that money and time were spent making them as good as possible. Overall a B or a B- on sound and music level.

Art: This is one area where LIB really shines. Everything from the stages to the walkways to the food vendors and actual artists is extraordinary. They had so much art and insane stuff to look at, it made Coachella itself look barren and like a wasteland. Not one place wasn't packed with something to do or somewhere chill to hang out. Temples, Machinery, Vehicles, toys to play on... everything was there in full force and the Do-Lab finally showed their entire stockpile of good to the population. I saw one of the paintings in the main area getting sold for a solid $800 cash (1 day's worth of painting, and it was GREAT artwork).

30787_10150206356020301_815825300_12721886_7620425_n.jpg

Vibe and Events:

For So-Cal, it was the best it could be. Obviously not on the level of Nor Cal, but good enough and I saw zero fights or incidents happening the entire weekend. Everyone had a good time. The LIB staff was very, very disorganized, and that word comes from everyone on these boards and in the chat who worked for the event, rather than myself who didn't do one thing but throw down a lot of money to get in as well as pick up mine and others trash. But luckily, this disorganization wasn't *too* apparent to most of the event-goers, and it seemed to run smoothly. There was free water everywhere and you weren't even required to buy your own water bottle as with some other events in this country (aka most). The bathrooms/port-o-potties were the best I've ever experienced at a multiple day event, and were told to be on the level of burning man. AKA clean every single time - no bad smell - toilet paper in full excess for the ladies. I can't think of one bad bathroom experience I had. LIB won in this department, WAY over Symbiosis, and WAY over Underground Sound.

Food: Some of the most decent priced and best food I've had at any music event ever. Huge burritos for $6, Chai Horchatas for $3, and fully natural energy [not Monster's or Red Bulls] drinks for $5, which kept your energy level going for a good while. The vegan burger I ate there was the best vegetarian item myself or my friends have ever had, 4 bucks or so. WIN in this department.

Events and Speeches: There were a lot of other things besides music to do and the Yoga classes were very successful (we took the Vinyasa one, and it was good except for the chick not having a microphone). Daniel Pinchbeck (who?) spoke and had an audience of about 100 people tuning in very much. There were all kinds of circus events and funny things going on around at both the top and the bottom of the hill, and I was impressed with how much performance was going on here.

30787_10150206356235301_815825300_12721901_4358324_n.jpg

The Bad:

Besides the already mentioned music not being *as good* as I had hoped for, the venue itself was the biggest downfall to this party imo. It was beautiful, it had clean air and the weather was perfect, but compared to other events, it was still too spread out and it still had a southern cali (aka not awesome nature) feel to make it an "A" rating. The path to get from the campground to the music was simply too big and walking up and down it over 10 times the entire weekend was enough to wreck anyone unless they are in absolute shape. Bikes didn't help, or so I was told by about 5 people who brought them... it made it more of a struggle in most cases. This was not your flat Burning Man playa where a bike is key to moving around. The entire campground as well as the music was all on a hill or slanted in some way, besides 2 of the 3 stages. Overall, this isn't a big complaint, and it's not LIB's fault - it's Oak Canyon's fault itself. But it's still something to speak on.

p.s. Fake Jonny Pyro with less hair. Too bad we didn't get his face, it looked like a newb jonnypyro.

30787_10150206356090301_815825300_12721891_3290068_n.jpg

30787_10150206358630301_815825300_12721919_3940572_n.jpg

Overall: As the intro stated, probably the best electronic event that Southern California can do. It wasn't quite as epic as Symbiosis (which wasn't nearly as epic as Underground Sound), but it was one of the most fun weekend's I've had at a festival in a while and the amount of money and care Do-Lab put into the event is clear to anyone who was there and isn't a hater. Hopefully they can learn from a couple minor mistakes this year and make it an overall more awesome event from here on out. Thanks Do-Lab for a fun time and I would do again, as I believe everyone else would. It was fully worth spending the money on. FULLY worth it with a few glitches. 8.0 / 10.

Videos::

Safari Hooping + Violin

Safari Hooping + Violin

Beats Antique New Song

Beats Antique New Song

Psilo Nunchucks

Psilo Nunchucks

DAEDELUS SUCKS - Clown Dumpsterstep

DAEDELUS SUCKS - Clown Dumpsterstep

El Papachango 2

El Papachango 2

Rolling Ball Device

Rolling Ball Device

Great review Psilo! I had a great time as well. I can't stop thinking about the zig roller. That rolling ball is so much fun.