• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

sweet peas toxic

asecin

Bluelighter
guys i just read on internet sweet peas are toxic. i used to eat a lot of sweet peas and im not sure if it caused any toxicity. does anyone have more idea about this ? anyone had experience with it or heard stories ? i wonder if it causes any serious damage. :/

Last edited:
i've also read that bitter almonds contain small amounts of cyanide, or a precursor to it.....

i wouldn't worry about it. my guess is you'd have to take in a bunch.

Toxic how? A lot of vegetables have toxins in them (broccoli, cauliflower, nightshades), usually these compounds are broken down by cooking which is why it's good to eat some things raw and better to cook others. I don't know about sweet pea's though, I've never heard that.

Asecin, if you look hard enough on the internet you can find that oxygen causes brain damage, showering causes diarrhea, and that apples cause hemorrhoids (I'm not kidding, by the way). Point being, after decades on the internet I have come to the conclusion that up to 90% of all "medical advice", from dodgy web sites up to and including pseudo-medical sites like "stop the thyroid madness", are complete and utter garbage.

I wouldn't worry about one of the most commonly consumed vegetables in the world causing toxicity. I would worry more about the toxicity from chelation therapies, detox formulas, and bowel cleansing formulas that are so commonly sold online...

What is a sweet pea?

If you mean the flowering ornamental plant...

images

... then I have never heard of them being even the slightest bit edible.

Do you mean SNOW peas? That look like this?

images

^ ohh peas :)

I searched for about ten minutes, and there were lots of journal articles about Pisum sativum being used to help clean up soils with heavy metals in it. Do you have the link to what you read?
Basically it means that the peas will end up having concentrated heavy metals in contaminated soils, because of the way the plant accumulates it.

guys u dont have to be geniuses to do simple search on google for "sweet peas toxicity"

anyway check this from wikipedia simple and fastest source that u can research urself personaly if u feel its wrong facts.

Unlike the edible pea, there is evidence that seeds of members of the genus Lathyrus, including sweet pea, are toxic if ingested in quantity. A related species, Lathyrus sativus, is grown for human consumption but when it forms a major part of the diet it causes symptoms of toxicity called lathyrism. However, as Lathyrus odoratus seeds are rarely ingested by humans in any quantity, there is little information on their toxicity to humans. However, sweet pea ingestion is thought to lead to similar symptoms, which have been called "odoratism", or "sweet pea lathyrism"[2].

In studies of rats, animals fed a diet of 50% sweet pea seeds developed enlarged adrenals relative to control animals fed on edible peas [3]. The main effect is thought to be on the formation of collagen. Symptoms are similar to those of scurvy and copper deficiency, which share the common feature of inhibiting proper formation of collagen fibrils. Seeds of the sweet pea contain beta-aminopropionitrile that prevents the cross-linking of collagen by inhibiting lysyl oxidase, leading to loose skin. Recent experiments have attempted to develop this chemical as a treatment to avoid disfiguring skin contractions after skin grafting

I wouldn't worry about one of the most commonly consumed vegetables in the world causing toxicity. I would worry more about the toxicity from chelation therapies, detox formulas, and bowel cleansing formulas that are so commonly sold online...

wtf do u mean ? bowel cleansing, detox formulas are usually sold in all vitamin shops and i always thot they were safe enough for use since nobody ever wrote any complains about them being dangerious.

The trouble with common names of plants is that what is one thing to you could be, and is likely to be something totally different to someone else.

Yeah, Sweet Peas the ornamental plant are toxic, I knew that. It's botanical name is Lathyrus odoratus. But I couldn't find any prominent about the Green table pea (I eat lots of them, buy them frozen. Yum!) Pisum sativum

I typed "Pisum sativum toxicity" into google ;)

Asecin, if you look hard enough on the internet you can find that oxygen causes brain damage, showering causes diarrhea, and that apples cause hemorrhoids (I'm not kidding, by the way). Point being, after decades on the internet I have come to the conclusion that up to 90% of all "medical advice", from dodgy web sites up to and including pseudo-medical sites like "stop the thyroid madness", are complete and utter garbage.

Correct.

I ate a huuuge bowl of sweet peas today and yesterday as well. God damn I love them.

For a second I thought you meant this, which I've heard called 'sweetpea'.

i've also read that bitter almonds contain small amounts of cyanide, or a precursor to it.....

i wouldn't worry about it. my guess is you'd have to take in a bunch.

Cyanide is harmless below about 0.5 mg/kg. You'd have to eat a whole damn lot of almonds...

There is danger from eating, say, apricot pits, which contain enough cyanogenic glycosides to be of concern. But if you're eating apricot pits, you have other problems. 8)

See also this.

So whats your point asecin? Want all of us to stop eating sweet peas? 8(

arent u important ? yeh exactly. i posted this to actually care for u what u eat or do not eat. 8)

tnx for clearing it up about the mistake of plants man. i really thot they meant actual edible sweet peas cuz on the site it did say that toxic pea resembling plant was edible so i confused myself.

anyway whatever im calm now i didnt eat poison

So whats your point asecin? Want all of us to stop eating sweet peas? 8(

Um...yes. I think his point was to inform everyone that sweet peas can be toxic and that we may want to consider whether or not we want to consume them. I can't think of a more appropriate subject in thie forum. Am I missing something?-DG