• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Melatonin and Tramadol

WorldWarMe

Bluelight Crew
I've been on 5-HTP for a while, and the doctor prescribed me Tramadol. I realized that taking these two could be potentially fatal since they both act on serotonin.

I know that serotonin converts into melatonin, so I have a basic question.

If I were to take Melatonin, would it be safe to take with Tramadol? I assume that since Melatonin is the final step in the Tryptophan>5-HTP>Serotonin>Melatonin stage, that taking a melatonin pill should have nothing to do with actual serotonin in your brain.

Would taking Tramadol and Melatonin at night pose a possible risk for Serotonin Syndrome, or are they safe to take together?

Don't mean to be rude, but I need someone with actual knowlege in this type of field to answer as I need a 100% positive answer.

Thank you in advance.

There are no interactions that I am aware of and a search on Google didn't turn up anything contraindicating tramadol. There was some information though that melatonin can reduce the effectiveness of anti-depressants, not sure how that works and I might have to look into it. It might interact with serotonin somehow to do this, which could potentially interact with tramadol.

Are you Rx'd the tramadol for pain?