• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Celebrex (Celecoxib) and Codeine.

WorldWarMe

Bluelight Crew
Alright, my doctor prescribed me Celebrex today for my shoulder and I was wondering if I could take 200mg of Codeine about 5 hours after my Celebrex dose.

I used an Interactions checker and it said there was a moderate interaction but it gave the information in terms that I'm unable to understand.

MONITOR: Drugs that are inhibitors of CYP450 2D6 may interfere with the analgesic effect of codeine. The mechanism is decreased in vivo conversion of codeine to morphine, a metabolic reaction mediated by CYP450 2D6.

MANAGEMENT: The possibility of reduced or inadequate pain relief should be considered in patients receiving codeine with drugs that inhibit CYP450 2D6. An increase in the codeine dosage or a different analgesic agent may be necessary in patients requiring therapy with CYP450 2D6 inhibitors.

What I got from this: You can take these two together without any health problems at all, but the Celebrex will make the Codeine weaker.

Am I right, or am I completely wrong?

I bassically want to know if taking 200mg of codeine about 5-6 hours after a Celebrex dose will have any health problems, and if it would be OK?

Celecoxib is indeed listed as a CYP2D6 inhibitor, however on my chart it is not listed as a strong one.

You will be safe taking it, but the effects will be lessened. We can't say by how much as that can be very individual depending on your bio-chemistry, but for what it's worth I used codeine daily while on sertraline (another inhibitor) and didn't notice anything too bad. You may want to increase the dose a little bit, or perhaps try a CYP2D6 inducer like alcohol (just one standard drink 45 minutes prior to dosing) or St Johns Wort.

Thanks for the reply :)
Another question, does it have any negative effects on the body to use these two together like other interactions do?

For example, like when you take SSRI's and 5-HTP it could cause serotonin syndrom. Are there any bad side effects with taking these two together?

Also, would the Celebrex increase the respiratory depression/heart beat effect that Codeine produces?

No on both accounts, it is fine.

The only possibly problem I can think of is if your codeine is combined with ibuprofen and you aren't getting rid of it. In that case, the two NSAIDS together might be a bad combination and increase the risk of the side effects that NSAIDS are known for.

Alright, then I guess I'm fine since I'm using Tylenol 3's.

Also, a completely unrelated question, but there's no point in making a new thread.

Do Tylenol 3's have Caffeine in them? I've heard people say this but I've read that it's only Tylenol 4's that have Caffeine.

^ It should say on the box... we don't have Tylenol here in Australia. From what I remember, in Canada doesn't it have to be combined with two other active ingredients, so the answer would probably be yes it does?

There is a method for removing it, but I can't remember... I think it involved activated charcoal or something. I have a huge caffeine tolerance though so even if they did add it in here I would probably be OK.

^ It should say on the box... we don't have Tylenol here in Australia. From what I remember, in Canada doesn't it have to be combined with two other active ingredients, so the answer would probably be yes it does?

There is a method for removing it, but I can't remember... I think it involved activated charcoal or something. I have a huge caffeine tolerance though so even if they did add it in here I would probably be OK.

Yeah, I drink Coca-Cola all day so I have a high tolerance to it to.
You guys have Paracetamol, if I remember correctly, right?

We have codeine combined with paracetamol yeah, and also with ibuprofen. You can also get codeine with pseudo or sometimes, I think, doxylamine succinate.

Doxylamine? What the fuck, I have that as a sleeping pill =X
Why would they combine it with Doxylamine?

Night time pain relief or night time cold and flu medicine I think. It potentiates the codeine. I remember once I did a pharmacy run, my tolerance was at about a gram of codeine, and one pharmacy gave me a 24 pack of codeine, APAP and doxylamine succinate. I went ahead and used it anyway (doxylamine isn't removed via CWE). Was very doped up indeed!

Ah, that's interesting o.0 I couldn't imagine taking anything with Doxylamine in it to get high =X

Also, quick question. What are the chances of a healthy male overdosing on 250mg of codeine?
I have a decent tolerance, not too big. Anything below 150mg or so of codeine and I feel nothing.

The chances are pretty much zip, unless you have an allergy to codeine but I think you are OK there. :)

You see the LD50 of codeine listed at 800mg, that may seem kind of low; the reason it's that low is because of the histamine response codeine causes, which is also why it can't be IV'd. If I don't dose for a few days then dose again, my tolerance to this histamine effects goes away and it can be quite severe sometimes, I suffer from swelling, a very red rash, lots of itching, dizziness, etc...