• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids how much opium can i get from one poppy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Typically range from 30mg to as much as 80mg - depending on the size of the pod. My own (see anecdotal) plants have reached the 100mg mark a few times.

Not very much; growing poppies for personal use is risky, tedious, and often not very rewarding in the end. That's why you see fields of poppies, rather than patches, or indoor set-ups. Not saying, however, that it's impossible to get a little stash of opium from a backyard poppy patch.;)

It depends on the pods. You can get really good opium poppies, but don't expect much from random ones grown from plant store seeds. A few grams can generally be gotten from backyard grows, although you'd probably be better off making tea.

I know different poppies yield different amounts of morphine, thebaine ect. but I dont know how this will affect your opium yield. Can anyone specify? I'm not interested in growing poppies myself, just a little curious

You sound interested in growing them. If you get caught and they can prove you were extracting them it's a drug manufacturing charge. That means federal prison...

Morphine content will vary greatly depending on strain, how well its grown, if its been overwatered or not given enough exposure to the sun. They can be grown hydroponically in which you can artificially create an optimal environment, but this requires a commitment, resources and understanding of the botany...

P. somn. will vary from 10-100mg, 100mg being a rare case (large pod grown in optimal conditions).

You sound interested in growing them. If you get caught and they can prove you were extracting them it's a drug manufacturing charge. That means federal prison...

Nah man, I'm just eager to learn. I'm smart enough to know that growing poppies is a bad idea, and educated enough about drugs to know that buying some heroin or buying an oxy is much safer and more convenient than trying to extract/refine/distribute purified opium in significant enough quantities. I'll leave that to the burmese and middle easterners.

Plus, who has access to large amounts of acetic anhydride anyway?

Last edited:
Every time I get excited about trying to extract goodies from poppies and do other things with it, I look into the actual methods to do this and lose interest fast. Why does making awesome stuff from poppies have to be so damned difficult? Ha...

I was gonna grow poppies once, if not for the opium then for the cool factor, it did indeed seem like a waste of time for a high. Unfortunately I no longer have a backyard.

I know different poppies yield different amounts of morphine, thebaine ect. but I dont know how this will affect your opium yield. Can anyone specify? I'm not interested in growing poppies myself, just a little curious

Some types also just generally provide more opium in terms of mass. Gigantheum comes to mind. Also different kinds have different quantities, like you said- I think Afghani are high in codeine and Tazmanian are high in Thebaine, generally speaking.

So it's all about the different types. Some yield more, some yield different alkaloids, etc. Well bred ones yield a lot. Ones not bred for opium content tend to barely yield.

^ I think with the Tasmanian ones, they have specifically bred them to be thebaine mostly to prevent people using them to get high.

^I think they're supposed to be pretty good anyway. The morphine content is also high apparently, from what I've heard from people who knew about the different types.

Found about 6 poppy plants in my backyard just recently. Anyone know any good websites to classify what type of poppy is which? ex: petals=reddish/purple

Presently growing Papaver Rhoeas (a non-opium producing Papaveraceae) to go with my red Chrysanthemum's.

10mg of Opium yields approx. 1mg Morphine (Morphine Meconate & Morphine Freebase both being present in the Opium poppy and Opium itself-not sure in what concentrations). A patch for one harvest might yield enough opiates for one person to consume for recreational effect.

Gardening is a wonderful hobby in and of itself.

Jim Hogshire's article about the ridiculously bad idea that is growing Papaver Somniferum for the purposes of Opium cultivation for self-consumption can be found online below.

One gardener's encounter with the war on drugs

http://www.wesjones.com/pollan1.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.